BoatBanter.com

-   -   Friday Ethics Question (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2032-friday-ethics-question.html)

Gary Warner November 14th 03 08:42 PM

Friday Ethics Question

Friday Ethics Question:

I ordered parts worth over $1000 to make a trailer. When we went to pick
them up one of the parts, a brake actuator, worth about $135 was the one we
ordered but not the right part for the job. The company agreed that there
was no way for me to know this was the wrong part and agreed that they
should have know and advised us. They gave us a refund for the incorrect
part and said they would ship - at their expense - the correct one.

Yesterday a package arrived with the replacement part and another item we
had ordered. They paid the shipping, as they said they would, and they
charged us for the new item. But they did not charge us for the new
actuator.

So the basic question is: If a company sends you something and forgets to
charge you, do you tell them? And even more telling, WHY?

Gould 0738 November 14th 03 09:03 PM

Friday Ethics Question

So the basic question is: If a company sends you something and forgets to
charge you, do you tell them? And even more telling, WHY?

In this case, my opinion is that you should pay.

You ordered the wrong part. The company could have simply supplied the part you
ordered, collected your money, and gone merrily down the road. When you later
discovered the part you had specified was the wrong part for the job, the
company could have refused to accept a return and suggest that you buy another
one, or could have charged you a restocking fee.

The company took enough interest in your ultimate satisfaction to call your
attention to the fact that you had ordered an improper part, and aranged to
send you the actual part you should have ordered in the first place. Should you
repay that kindness by stiffing them for $135? Nah.

They saved you from the consequences of your own oversight. The least you can
do is be equally classy in return.

Paul Garcia November 14th 03 09:23 PM

Friday Ethics Question

I would tell them, because that is the way I would want to be treated if I
was the supplier. They went out of their way to treat you like a valued
customer, now is the time to treat them like a valued supplier.

Gene Kearns November 14th 03 09:24 PM

Friday Ethics Question

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:42:49 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

Friday Ethics Question:

I ordered parts worth over $1000 to make a trailer. When we went to pick
them up one of the parts, a brake actuator, worth about $135 was the one we
ordered but not the right part for the job. The company agreed that there
was no way for me to know this was the wrong part and agreed that they
should have know and advised us. They gave us a refund for the incorrect
part and said they would ship - at their expense - the correct one.

Yesterday a package arrived with the replacement part and another item we
had ordered. They paid the shipping, as they said they would, and they
charged us for the new item. But they did not charge us for the new
actuator.

So the basic question is: If a company sends you something and forgets to
charge you, do you tell them? And even more telling, WHY?

Boy, a real problem with situational ethics here.......

1, Yes.
2. Because
a) It is the right thing to do, and
b) There is no way to reconcile getting something for free that you
knew you were to pay for.

Flip side: So the basic question is: If a company sends you something
and discovers they have accidentally charged you twice, do they tell
you? And even more telling, WHY?

Joe Parsons November 14th 03 09:26 PM

Friday Ethics Question

On 14 Nov 2003 20:03:29 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

[snip]

The company took enough interest in your ultimate satisfaction to call your
attention to the fact that you had ordered an improper part, and aranged to
send you the actual part you should have ordered in the first place. Should you
repay that kindness by stiffing them for $135? Nah.

They saved you from the consequences of your own oversight. The least you can
do is be equally classy in return.

What he said.

Joe Parsons

Doug Kanter November 14th 03 09:26 PM

Friday Ethics Question

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

So the basic question is: If a company sends you something and forgets to
charge you, do you tell them? And even more telling, WHY?

What's your time worth? Do you have enough free time, or would you rather
waste more of it doing chores? How much time would it have taken to attempt
installing the incorrect part? What did you do with the time you saved by
NOT dicking around with the wrong part?

Do you see that whatever benefit you derived from having the RIGHT part, it
was due to the efforts of the supplier?

jps November 14th 03 09:53 PM

Friday Ethics Question

In article ,
says...

So the basic question is: If a company sends you something and forgets to
charge you, do you tell them? And even more telling, WHY?

They gave you good service and you want to do your part to help
companies like this survive. Plus, you rid your conscience of any
culpability, eliminate the potential for dubious rationalizations and
get to think of yourself as a stand up guy.

Additionally, you help them by making them aware that they had a hiccup
in the system and should pay better attention.

Tell 'em.

jps

bb November 14th 03 10:06 PM

Friday Ethics Question

wrote:

So the basic question is: If a company sends you something and forgets to
charge you, do you tell them? And even more telling, WHY?

Yes. Karma.

In your case, who the heck wants to be driving down with road with bad
trailer brake karma?

bb

Doug Kanter November 14th 03 10:41 PM

Friday Ethics Question

"WaIIy" wrote in message

"karma" is a contrived device for people who can't figure things out on
their own.

Thank you Wally. Another nugget of wisdom from the water boy on the
intellectual farm team.

Main Entry: kar·ma
Pronunciation: 'kär-m& also 'k&r-
Function: noun
Etymology: Sanskrit karma fate, work
Date: 1827
1 often capitalized : the force generated by a person's actions held in
Hinduism and Buddhism to perpetuate transmigration and in its ethical
consequences to determine the nature of the person's next existence.

Think you can go back an reinterpret the message you bashed due to your
ignorance?