Doug Kanter

Default Friday Ethics Question

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:41:22 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Think you can go back an reinterpret the message you bashed due to your
ignorance?

If you need to resort to a dictionary to support your opinions, you need
better opinions.

No entry found for douglas.

Did you mean dogmas?

I was helping you with a word you were having a hard time with. Say "thank
you" and go back to sleep.

Gene Kearns

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:27:50 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:24:58 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

Flip side: So the basic question is: If a company sends you something
and discovers they have accidentally charged you twice, do they tell
you? And even more telling, WHY?

There is no flip side to this question.

I don't get your drift. Are you saying it is a clear morality issue,
you feel there is only one point of view, or?
Gary Warner

Wally,

I know it bother's you that I even could HAVE
this question in my head. But there are many
good reasons to stop and take a close look at
beliefs one thinks are rock solid. Here are a few:

-- To know exactly WHY you have that belief. I
can imagine that to you it is just "no question",
"no choice", and just "is". But somewhere in there
there *are* reasons driving you. To not inspect
yourself once in a while and reassess what makes
you tick is, to me, a shame.

-- Another reason is that some people, even if
it's only a few, will clearly see it another way. You
vehemently disagree with the other view, but learning
what makes others tick can help you to understand
them....even if you disagree or dislike them.

Why, Wally, do you feel so strongly that one
should tell the company of the mistake? So
far you haven't given *any* reason other than
an implied "because". And it was you that said:

"karma" is a contrived device for people who
can't figure things out on their own.

So have you figured something out? Is it deeper
than "because" or "religion"? I hope so. And I'd
be very interested (seriously) to hear your thoughts.
It's why I asked the qustion.

Gary

Gary Warner

Thanks.

Dave Hall

Gary Warner wrote:

Friday Ethics Question:

I ordered parts worth over $1000 to make a trailer. When we went to pick
them up one of the parts, a brake actuator, worth about $135 was the one we
ordered but not the right part for the job. The company agreed that there
was no way for me to know this was the wrong part and agreed that they
should have know and advised us. They gave us a refund for the incorrect
part and said they would ship - at their expense - the correct one.

Yesterday a package arrived with the replacement part and another item we
had ordered. They paid the shipping, as they said they would, and they
charged us for the new item. But they did not charge us for the new
actuator.

So the basic question is: If a company sends you something and forgets to
charge you, do you tell them? And even more telling, WHY?

Many companies have great customer service policies. I have dealt with
some who have sent me parts for free, just as a thanks for using their
products (Bennett Trim tabs comes to mind). This could be something like
that. But I would call first to ask if that was their intention.
Certainly, it would be easy to take the attitude that "they screwed up,
and it's in my favor", and take it to the bank. But those little
"oopses" eventually add up, and usually result in cost increases over
the board to cover them. But if you were willing to pay in good faith to
begin with, this should not be such a difficult decision.

Honesty - it's not just an obsolete concept.

Dave

Dave Hall

bb wrote:

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:42:49 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

So the basic question is: If a company sends you something and forgets to
charge you, do you tell them? And even more telling, WHY?

Yes. Karma.

In your case, who the heck wants to be driving down with road with bad
trailer brake karma?

bb

Especially if your Karma runs over my dogma......

Dave

Dave Hall

Doug Kanter wrote:

"WaIIy" wrote in message

"karma" is a contrived device for people who can't figure things out on
their own.

Thank you Wally. Another nugget of wisdom from the water boy on the
intellectual farm team.

Main Entry: kar·ma
Pronunciation: 'kär-m& also 'k&r-
Function: noun
Etymology: Sanskrit karma fate, work
Date: 1827
1 often capitalized : the force generated by a person's actions held in
Hinduism and Buddhism to perpetuate transmigration and in its ethical
consequences to determine the nature of the person's next existence.

Think you can go back an reinterpret the message you bashed due to your
ignorance?

I think what Wally was refering to, was the spirituality asscociated
with the term "Karma". It's akin to saying "it's in God's hands".
Something those who don't share that particular belief system are likely
to dispute.

Dave

Dave Hall

Harry Krause wrote:

bb wrote:

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:28:59 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

"karma" is a contrived device for people who can't figure things out on
their own.

I'm still waiting for you to add anything of intellectual value to any
of the discussions on rec.boats. I'm a very, very patient person.
I'm not giving up hope that someday you will make me proud,
grasshopper.

bb

You also must be waiting for hell to freeze over. Wally is one of the
dumbest clucks who posts here. He's a first cousin to Dave Hall, who
just yesterday claimed that psychiatry was never necessary, and that he
would be able to force his young daughter to behave in a way he found
acceptable.

Like a typical liberal, you once again pick and chose what you read,
spin it in a way as to reveal it in the most unfavorable light, and then
repost it as if it were the truth. I NEVER said that psychaitry was
*never* necessary, only that there are a great many people who are
"addicted" to therapy today, because they've never learned how to deal
with problems. Go ahead, deny that this happens.

I'm not "forcing" my daughter to act in an "acceptable way". I'm just
guiding her down a proper path, and not giving her the chance to adopt
bad habits.

Dave

Wally probably thinks karma is the candy coating sometimes applied to
apples on a stick.

--
Email sent to is never read.