rock_doctor

Default Winterizing question plus.

I have an 1986 OMC 260 IO (GM 350 w/ a cobra drive with less then 100 total
hrs on them). The engine was set-up for long term storage while I was in
Florida (pulled all block and manifold drain plugs, oil in the cylinders and
drained gas). I have now (4 yrs later) brought the boat up to Pennsylvania
and need to winterize it. I don't want to start it as there is no gas in
the boat and don't want to do the tune-up to get it running (will not be
used for another 2 yrs). I just want to winterize it so no damage will be
done. I will have a local yard pull the drive but they will not touch the
engine because it is not running. I was thinking if I reinstall all the
drain plugs and pour 50-50 mix of antifreeze (or a non-toxic version if I
can find it) into the thermostat housing it should fill all of the jackets.
I am engine savvy but not familiar with the plumbing done to marinize these
GM truck engines. Since the block and manifolds drain plugs have been out
for 4 years I doubt there is any water in the system. Adding the
anti-freeze *I though* would be good insurance to be sure. The drive will
be kept in the house. Does this sound reasonable???

Second question, when this boat is finally put back into service I was
thinking about getting the OMC changed out for a Merc stern drive (worried
about future availability of OMC parts). I was told that once the transom
was cut for one brand of drive you could not change to another. I wonder if
this is true? Wanted to convert over to one of the merc stern drive
diesels.

I have been around boats my whole life so short answers will work just fine.
I just need the confirmation from somebody else that I am not totally nutz
(boy there is an open-ended question if I have ever heard one...). ;-)

thanks for the help,

mark

bowgus

I myself would add more oil once in a while and try turning it over say by
hand to lubricate and make sure nothing's rusted in place (e.g. rings). My
opinion, there's no need to add any antifreeze ... I don't. There's no need
to pull (remove) the outdrive unless you're concerned about theft.

"rock_doctor" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Thomas

Basically the engine is already winterized. I would pull the hoses from the
water pump on the front of the engine and make sure no water is stuck in the
hose/water pump.
I would also recommend you have the lower unit drained and refilled w/ fresh
oil just to make sure no water moisture is in the gearcase that would freeze
and bust the housing.

That should be it. Just store w/ the outdrive trimmed all the way down to
prevent trapping water in the prop shaft aread and freezing.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

[...]

Steve Barker

You don't want to mix the RV antifreeze with water at all. Just use it out
of the jug. And yes, that's what's recommended.

--
Steve

Winterizing in Sflorida Ed General 11 October 14th 03 02:40 PM
Winterizing Question Andy Kalsey General 1 October 4th 03 08:02 AM
Exhaust question on inboard 1958 Chris Craft Gary Warner General 5 September 25th 03 12:32 AM
Newbie: No winterizing for heated storage? Sparkslaw General 2 September 16th 03 05:41 AM
Transom Height - Dumb Question Alert Michael Gagliardi General 0 August 28th 03 07:31 PM