Jack Redington

Default pump out or no pumpout head

David Ditch wrote:
Hi all,
I am looking at various 23' cuddies.
I have a family of 5 including 3 kids ages 5,3,and 1
I have the option of a pump out or no pump out head.
What is invoved in pumping out? Where?
If not pumped out, what is involved in dumping the wast in the little tank?
I live in the Baltimore/Annapolis are of the Chesapeake.

David

Don't know about pump-out heads. I have a 21ft cuddie, Two kids now 10
and 7 + one wife :-)

Ours just has a porta pottie and it works out just fine. I just take the
holding tank/base home and flush it "if" it gets used. We mainly just go
out and day boat, and occasionaly overnight but the boat is a tad small
for that. So I guess it could depend on how you plan on using it on what
type of system you really want. But consider that a porta-pottie is one
less thing to maintain that is built into the boat.

We really don't use it all that ofter making sure the kids go before we
head out. I think it got use twice this summer.

Good luck on your decision.

Capt Jack R..

Peggie Hall

It should be OK for day trips. I've had 3 adults and 2 kids on my 24
ft cuddy for an an afternoon with no problem. I know folks who have
cruised 2 adults and 2 kids on a 21 ft and they managed. A lot
depends on expectations. For overnighting you will need full cockpit
canvas and ye olde oaken bucket.

Unfortunately, ye olde oaken bucket (and all ye other olde containers)
chucked over the side isn't legal inside the "3 mile limit." However,
"direct deposit" from the lee rail is.

I didn't write the laws, I'm only the messenger.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Garth Almgren

Paul wrote:

My marina charges CAN $20 for transient pumpouts.

I don't have a lot of experience but I've always seen the pumpout at or near
the gas dock.

In Friday Harbor, WA, the pump out was (is?) located right next to the
floating seafood shop, smack in the middle of the marina. Appetizing!

IIRC, it was something like a buck or two in quarters to pump out.

--
~/Garth

Peggie Hall

David Ditch wrote:
Thanks for all the replys.
All the boats I am looking at come standard with the porta pottie in the
cuddie. The thing I'm contemplating is to get the pump out option or not.
Its me, my wife and 3 kids total.

That's all? )

I'd expect outings to be several hours at a time, not necessarily all day.
I'd expect that If I do an all day trip, there would be some stops along the
way to some dock side restaurants or something.

I think you'd better spend some time browsing the guides to the
Bay...'cuz once you get out of Annapolis Harbor, it's quite a distance
to the next stop. And the going won't be much fun in a boat that small
if there's any chop...which there often is on the Bay.

One question, is do all marinas have a place to pump out?

Most do, but not all. And they're not always open at the ones that do.

Where are they usually located? near the fuel point?

Some are, some aren't.

I don't mind spending money for convenience, after all boating is not a low
$$$ hobbie now is it?
If they charge for it, how much is it?

I think we covered that already. Some are free, most charge only $5...a
few are higher.

If I were you, I'd be looking for 25-27' cruiser. If you rent a 22-23'
cuddy for a day, I think you'll understand why.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Peggie Hall

Jim Irvine wrote:

If no pump out is available, one
could disconnect the hoses and hand dump the pottie, but this has never been
needed in my case.

I think you'd find that harder to do than you think. The pumpout hose
comes out of the tank at the bottom, so you can't disconnect it from the
tank without dumping it...you'd have to disconnect the hose from the
deck pumpout fitting...and then be VERY careful to keep it above the top
of the tank while you carry it off the boat to dump it.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

DaveH

From your description, I'd say you're really using the head for emergencies,
probably not most of the time you're out. In that case, pretty much any
porta-potti ought to do fine. My advice would be to either skip the
"cuddy-cabin" and either go to a real cruiser, or an open boat. The cuddy
is likely to become an overgrown glovebox.

To answer your questions, I think most marinas have a pumpout, but not all.
There's not a standard place where they're located, and it's not generally
expensive. I think in my area (southern Maryland) it's about $5 at private
marinas, and free at the state pumpout. What's involved is the pumpout is a
glorified wet-vac that hooks up to a port on the outside of a
pumpout-equipped boat, and sucks the waste out.

Good luck.

"David Ditch" wrote in message
[...]

Peggie Hall

We really don't use it all that ofter making sure the kids go before we
head out. I think it got use twice this summer.

But you're on an inland fresh water lake, Jack...where it's a lot easier
to just "take a swim" when necessary than it is on the Chesapeake Bay.
The sea nettles (a type of jellyfish) can make that a very interesting
experience.

Which reminds me of a story that's funny in the telling, but prob'ly not
to the person it happened to: a friend's wife is exceptionally
modest...she'd go down the swim ladder as an alternative to using the
head...but wouldn't drop her drawers--which on this night were
voluminous. They billowed out around her while she was waist deep in the
water...naturally clung to her as she came up. On this particular night,
she'd managed to trap a sea nettle under 'em. As her husband put it,
"modesty went out the window while she invented break dancing in the
cockpit as I ran below to get the meat tenderizer."

Btw...how IS life on Lanier these days?

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Wayne.B

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 04:03:03 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:
Unfortunately, ye olde oaken bucket (and all ye other olde containers)
chucked over the side isn't legal inside the "3 mile limit." However,
"direct deposit" from the lee rail is.

Peggie, you have once again highlighted the difference between theory
and actual practice. :-)

Please note that I made no mention of where the bucket should be
emptied, and it could always go into the portapot in the morning. (Or
that could be your cover story)

Meanwhile mom and dad could spend the night undisturbed in the cuddy
cabin while the kiddies are sacked out in the cockpit under the
camper canvas.

That's the way it was done when I was a kid.

Jim Irvine

Jim Irvine wrote:

If no pump out is available, one
could disconnect the hoses and hand dump the pottie, but this has never

been
needed in my case.

I think you'd find that harder to do than you think. The pumpout hose
comes out of the tank at the bottom, so you can't disconnect it from the
tank without dumping it...you'd have to disconnect the hose from the
deck pumpout fitting...and then be VERY careful to keep it above the top
of the tank while you carry it off the boat to dump it.

On my Sealand unit, the pumpout connection fitting is on the top of the

tank,
and there is an internal tube from there going to the bottom. You can

disconnect
the hoses, and put on the supplied cap without spilling anything.

BB

Yes, mine is configured the same way and it is relatively simple to hand
dump if necessary.
-Jim

Can a single 72 gal per hour fuel pump run two 392 cu inch motors? Scott Downey General 4 October 19th 03 09:28 PM
Elec Question Water Pump & DC [email protected] General 3 August 14th 03 05:30 AM
Jabsco Head - help! Lloyd Sumpter General 11 August 14th 03 05:08 AM
Priming areator pump JTC General 0 August 8th 03 03:26 AM
Need to pump shit? Peggie Hall General 8 July 17th 03 12:31 AM