Scott Downey

Default Can a single 72 gal per hour fuel pump run two 392 cu inch motors?

I was wanting to eliminate the mechanical fuel pumps on each motor and
install an electric vane positive displacement gasoline fuel pump to feed
them both. Can a 72 gal/hour single pump feed both carbs? I was going to
place the pump between the tanks and let it push fuel to separate coalescing
filters and then on to the carbs.
Following is a link to the pump I am interested in using.
Mainly I dont like having to crank the engines until fuel fills the carbs
after the motor sits. I just want to let the fuel pump fill the carb bowls
and let the motors start up easy. And I just discovered one of my pumps is
bad as well.

http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.js...egoryId/12058/

Woodchuck

Common rule is if you have a 300hp engine then you need a pump that can
deliver 30g/h at about 5 psi. Personally if I had twins I would want twin
pumps just encase one dies.

"Scott Downey" wrote in message
I was wanting to eliminate the mechanical fuel pumps on each motor and
install an electric vane positive displacement gasoline fuel pump to feed
them both. Can a 72 gal/hour single pump feed both carbs? I was going to
place the pump between the tanks and let it push fuel to separate

coalescing
filters and then on to the carbs.
Following is a link to the pump I am interested in using.
Mainly I dont like having to crank the engines until fuel fills the carbs
after the motor sits. I just want to let the fuel pump fill the carb bowls
and let the motors start up easy. And I just discovered one of my pumps is
bad as well.

http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.js...egoryId/12058/

Calif Bill

"Scott Downey" wrote in message
I was wanting to eliminate the mechanical fuel pumps on each motor and
install an electric vane positive displacement gasoline fuel pump to feed
them both. Can a 72 gal/hour single pump feed both carbs? I was going to
place the pump between the tanks and let it push fuel to separate

coalescing
filters and then on to the carbs.
Following is a link to the pump I am interested in using.
Mainly I dont like having to crank the engines until fuel fills the carbs
after the motor sits. I just want to let the fuel pump fill the carb bowls
and let the motors start up easy. And I just discovered one of my pumps is
bad as well.

http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.js...egoryId/12058/

You have one pump and 2 motors. 1 pump goes bad, and you are dead in the
water. You could convert to electric fuel pumps to replace the mechanical
pumps.

Gary Warner

As has been said, 1 pump goes bad and both motors are out.

Not knowing anything about all this, what of the opposite situation:
One engine has some different problem and is stopped. Does
the fuel pump still pump gas to it....or can some line shut-off
work to prevent that?

Also: On my mechanical fuel pump, there is a little manual
pump lever. To fill the bowl you can pump that by hand
instead of cranking the engine.

Gary

Scott Downey

What I am thinking now is install an electric fuel pump as a fill
carbs/backup emergency pump.
This way I would use the normal mech pumps when the engines are running.
I would have the electric pump on a manual switch. Which could be turned on
if the mech pumps failed and for starting.
I would tie into the fuel distribution tank select valves a fitting and run
a line into the pump and a split output to each carb. The pump would supply
up to 7 psi to each carb. The mech pumps internal valves would prevent fuel
flowing thru them in reverse direction.
The electric vane pump wont pass fuel if it is off right? So the mech pumps
would not reverse flow back thru the electric vane pump. All I need is a tee
fitting at the carb. My fuel lines are all the screw on flared type no
clamps anywhere.

This way I would get the benefit I desire which is filling the bowls without
excessive cranking and have a backup.
I am still thinking on this.
I would prefer to push the fuel to each carb thru the filters and mech pumps
and then on to the carbs.

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

As has been said, 1 pump goes bad and both motors are out.

Not knowing anything about all this, what of the opposite situation:
One engine has some different problem and is stopped. Does
the fuel pump still pump gas to it....or can some line shut-off
work to prevent that?

Also: On my mechanical fuel pump, there is a little manual
pump lever. To fill the bowl you can pump that by hand
instead of cranking the engine.

Gary

fuel delivery problem on outboard? help Russell Hermansen General 9 October 7th 03 01:40 AM
fyi ... MCM185R and fuel pump filter bowgus General 0 September 4th 03 02:29 AM
Inboard won't run above 2800 RPM John M Murphy General 2 August 18th 03 05:27 PM
Priming a jet boat? Ragdoll General 15 July 31st 03 05:02 AM
Fuel pump to carbs fuel line replacement Bob General 5 July 29th 03 05:51 PM