Default Shooting

Took my friend, Carmen, to the range Friday. We shot the SE1911 and the Sig Sauer P226. We even had
a contest, me shooting the Sig, Carmen with the Ruger. Our bet was a cup of coffee, McD's senior
coffee, for each round. He tore me up for the first three rounds, and I was down three cups of
coffee. That's big bucks, 'cause senior coffee at the local McD's is $0.72/cup, with free refills of
course.

Then I decided to try something. Instead of shooting with both arms extended (isosceles stance), I
adopted a stance more in line with the Weaver stance, both elbows, especially the supporting elbow,
bent. This brought the gun much closer to my eyes, enabling better focus of sights and target, and
provided much better support. The gun was much easier to hold on target.

Thank God for small favors. The change worked. I was hitting the targets much better, and actually
won the next three rounds.

So, we broke even.

This morning we got together and cleaned guns for a couple hours. Great fun.
Tim Tim is offline

1:01 PMPoco Deplorevole
[...]

What'd be impressive is when you hit targets while holding the gun sideways i.e. "Gangstah".

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 11:17:42 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

1:01 PMPoco Deplorevole
[...]

Maybe we'll try that next time. Pretend we're in downtown Chicago.l
Tim Tim is offline

2:04 PMPoco Deplorevole
Maybe we'll try that next time. Pretend we're in downtown Chicago.

That ought work.

wrote:

What'd be impressive is when you hit targets while holding the gun sideways i.e. "Gangstah".

The funny thing is I am seeing some defense coaches talking about that
sideways hold now, usually using a laser. It is generally when
shooting from cover like around a corner so you can establish a sight
picture or guide on the laser without exposing any more of your body
and head than necessary. It is also supposed to be more stable on an
"out to the side" hold.

Poco Deplorevole wrote:
[...]

Nice! That was a great contribution, Harry. You made an old man very
happy!

Poco Deplorevole wrote:
[...]

Most of the crime isn't downtown. It's a pretty safe city in that area.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 20:21:35 -0500, Alex wrote:

Poco Deplorevole wrote:
[...]

True. I should have said Riverdale, the neighborhood with the highest crime rate in the windy city.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are...neighborhoods/

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 07:34:42 -0500, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

I've seen people at the range with lasers. Actually, I've seen the spot of light dancing around the
target. It's not like on the TV where the little spot appears and holds nice and steady. I think it
must be embarassing for the owner to know his spot of light is dancing all over the target, 'cause
the laser gets used for only a few seconds and then never brightens our day again.

It is a good training tool and you don't even need to load the gun or
go to the range. ;-)
I am not sure how good they are in a serious social situation tho. I
have a laser for my KP90 but I took it off and put it away. It was
just a distraction.