Default Shooting

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 14:09:14 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I've lost a lot of interest in shooting. The original reason I got a
concealed carry permit was at the advice of a lawyer friend when I first
opened the guitar shop and carried a lot of cash on me everyday.
I got the permit, joined a gun club and started practicing two or three
days a week but after a while it got really boring shooting holes in
paper targets. I rarely carry anymore and keep the handguns and rifles
in a safe or under lock ... except one. Depending on where we are going
I sometimes take it with me but most of the time it's in the house.

My problem is the nearest range is 45 minutes away and I am not
thrilled with driving these days. When I had a range in the basement I
was shooting handguns all the time and we were also in a skeet league.
Of the two, I think I miss skeet the most but we really don't have a
skeet place anywhere around here.

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 14:11:41 -0500,
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 13:26:04 -0500,
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 13:06:43 -0500,

wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 12:43:54 -0500,
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 07:34:42 -0500, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

I've seen people at the range with lasers. Actually, I've seen the spot of light dancing around the
target. It's not like on the TV where the little spot appears and holds nice and steady. I think it
must be embarassing for the owner to know his spot of light is dancing all over the target, 'cause
the laser gets used for only a few seconds and then never brightens our day again.

It is a good training tool and you don't even need to load the gun or
go to the range. ;-)
I am not sure how good they are in a serious social situation tho. I
have a laser for my KP90 but I took it off and put it away. It was
just a distraction.

===

I bought one for my CZ 9 that I use for target shooting. It had
problems with holding zero, poor daylight visibility and short,
expensive battery life. It looks cool and makes a good barrel weight
however so I've left it mounted.

The one I have mounts on the trigger guard but it won't go in the
holster I have.

===
I have one of these:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-adjustable-law-enforcement-tactical-leg-holster-for-pistol-flashlight-laser-a.html

It's very versatile and will adjust to just about any gun, accessory,
and carrying position you could want - also a good value.

I am not sure where I would wear something like that. The only
holsters I have are more along the lines of concealed carry.
I have a vintage GI holster for a 1911 with the matching magazine
pouch and web belt and I have a couple of open carry holsters for my
..22s but I never use them.

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 14:40:08 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

Do not know the latest stats, but 20 years ago, only 5% of police ever
pulled their weapon in the line of duty in their whole career.

I see some cops at the local ranges who are horrible shots, and some of
them joke about it. One would think a certain level of proficiency with
firearms would have to be achieved and maintained, but maybe no. Last
year when I was messing around at the range with my revolver and
shooting pretty decently, one of them asked me how I got "so good."
Well, I'm only "decent" with it, certainly not "so good." I told him the
same way a musician gets to Carnegie Hall...practice, practice,
practice. He got it.

Regular cops are generally horrible shots. You only have to look at
the average hits per shots fired to see that. Some practice regularly
and take it seriously but most just find it hard enough to qualify to
carry their gun.
I was really surprised at how bad the cops were who used to come over
to my house to shoot. It was somewhat a rigged game since I was
shooting a lot at the time but simple things like 5 rapid fire shots
at 5 targets at 7 yards or even 5 yards seemed to be hard for them.
There are still 2 holes in the block wall at my Ex's house where one
guy missed the 2x3 bullet trap completely. (on 2 separate days)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 15:17:44 -0500, wrote:

wrote:

I've seen people at the range with lasers. Actually, I've seen the spot of light dancing around the
target. It's not like on the TV where the little spot appears and holds nice and steady. I think it
must be embarassing for the owner to know his spot of light is dancing all over the target, 'cause
the laser gets used for only a few seconds and then never brightens our day again.

It is a good training tool and you don't even need to load the gun or
go to the range. ;-)
I am not sure how good they are in a serious social situation tho. I
have a laser for my KP90 but I took it off and put it away. It was
just a distraction.

Oh I agree that they're a good training aid. Dry firing at home with a laser is very helpful.

If I buy another laser I am looking at the new laserlyte that has a
training mode. In training mode it fires a short pop of laser light
when it hears the hammer/striker fall. When used with their training
targets it looks interesting. It is also the regular gun laser in the
normal mode.

I've thought this would be rather run. Might put it on the Christmas list for next year. Although I
do have a birthday coming up. Might go that route.

https://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-Qui...EVZ8T9HSA32RA6

Then I'll also need the trainer cartridge:

https://www.amazon.com/Laserlyte-Las...0PFC42896W4EBK

This could get expensive. Let's see - .38, 9mm, .45, .22, damn. Wonder if they make one in 7.62x54R

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 15:19:43 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 1/24/17 3:13 PM, wrote:

"Defense coaches..." I like firearms and have no objections to
reasonable people owning firearms, but I do get a laugh out of all the
youtube vids and magazine articles about which weapons are "the best"
for going to war or "protecting" oneself in a fire fight. If you are
going to war and you are not a soldier of fortune, one assumes "the
military" assigns you a firearm and teaches you how to use it. I'd bet
that 99.99% of non-sworn civilians in this country who "carry" never
have and never will face an armed assailant or gunfire or a grizzly bear
or mountain lion.

Are you seriously saying a gun owner should not have any kind of
training?
As for the likelihood of needing a gun in a defense situation, I
assume you have/had a fire extinguisher on your boat. Did you ever
have to use it? Were you actually trained in how to use it?

In my 70 years, I have never discharged a fire extinguisher except in
training and I have plenty.

No, I did not say gun owners "should not have any kind of training." In
fact, I think you should have to take a serious training course BEFORE
you are able to buy a firearm, at least for the first one.

I am just pointing out that if you actually think you might use your
gun to defend yourself, safety and marksmanship is not the only
training you should have. Otherwise, just leave it in the safe and
hope they don't make you open it.
There are plenty of things you can learn from videos and books about
weapon retention, moving around your house without exposing your self
to unnecessary danger and the legal aspects of self defense.
You still should get some actual hands on training but it is
expensive. If I ever come into $10,000 or so I don't need I would go
to Gunsite.

Your boat fire extinguisher analogy really doesn't work.

It is just an example of something that might save your life but goes
unused 99.99% of the time and yet still requires some training to
actually be useful.

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 15:44:57 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

My problem is the nearest range is 45 minutes away and I am not
thrilled with driving these days. When I had a range in the basement I
was shooting handguns all the time and we were also in a skeet league.
Of the two, I think I miss skeet the most but we really don't have a
skeet place anywhere around here.

Save the Skeets!

Actually you should appreciate my switch from shooting birds to
shooting clay birds. I am pretty good at it and I used to shoot lots
of birds. I realized I liked the shooting part a lot better than the
dead bird part. (cleaning, cooking etc for a mc nugget size bite of
meat). The skeets are always there, you don't have to go find the ones
you hit and it is always open season on them.

Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 20:21:35 -0500, Alex wrote:

Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 11:17:42 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

1:01 PMPoco Deplorevole
Took my friend, Carmen, to the range Friday. We shot the SE1911 and the Sig Sauer P226. We even had
a contest, me shooting the Sig, Carmen with the Ruger. Our bet was a cup of coffee, McD's senior
coffee, for each round. He tore me up for the first three rounds, and I was down three cups of
coffee. That's big bucks, 'cause senior coffee at the local McD's is $0.72/cup, with free refills of
course.

Then I decided to try something. Instead of shooting with both arms extended (isosceles stance), I
adopted a stance more in line with the Weaver stance, both elbows, especially the supporting elbow,
bent. This brought the gun much closer to my eyes, enabling better focus of sights and target, and
provided much better support. The gun was much easier to hold on target.

Thank God for small favors. The change worked. I was hitting the targets much better, and actually
won the next three rounds.

So, we broke even.

This morning we got together and cleaned guns for a couple hours. Great fun.

What'd be impressive is when you hit targets while holding the gun sideways i.e. "Gangstah".
Maybe we'll try that next time. Pretend we're in downtown Chicago.l

Most of the crime isn't downtown. It's a pretty safe city in that area.

True. I should have said Riverdale, the neighborhood with the highest crime rate in the windy city.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are...neighborhoods/

Stay in the Loop and it's a whole different story.

Keyser Soze wrote:
wrote:

I've seen people at the range with lasers. Actually, I've seen the
spot of light dancing around the
target. It's not like on the TV where the little spot appears and
holds nice and steady. I think it
must be embarassing for the owner to know his spot of light is
dancing all over the target, 'cause
the laser gets used for only a few seconds and then never brightens
our day again.

It is a good training tool and you don't even need to load the gun or
go to the range. ;-)
I am not sure how good they are in a serious social situation tho. I
have a laser for my KP90 but I took it off and put it away. It was
just a distraction.

Yeah, a couple of my handguns have lasers on them. Initially I tried
the lasers but never use them now. Batteries are probably dead.

I have a pretty expensive laser device for lining up scopes and
barrels*, but I don't know why I'd want a laser pointer permanently or
semi-permanently mounted on a handgun. If you don't practice enough
and can't hit a human-sized target with a handgun in or near the
center of body mass between a couple of feet away and say 50 feet, you
probably shouldn't be depending on a handgun.

* I have the device because I often swap around my various scopes and
red dots on my various rifles. I have a red dot on my .22LR target
pistol, and I just leave it on there. No scope or red dot on my revolver.

Show me a "pretty expensive" bore sight laser.