Tim Tim is offline

Default Shooting

Jan
On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 11:17:42 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

What'd be impressive is when you hit targets while holding the gun sideways i.e. "Gangstah".

The funny thing is I am seeing some defense coaches talking about that
sideways hold now, usually using a laser. It is generally when
shooting from cover like around a corner so you can establish a sight
picture or guide on the laser without exposing any more of your body
and head than necessary. It is also supposed to be more stable on an
"out to the side" hold.

I'm sure you're right in theory Greg, but I doubt that applies much to thug life

wrote:

What'd be impressive is when you hit targets while holding the gun sideways i.e. "Gangstah".

The funny thing is I am seeing some defense coaches talking about that
sideways hold now, usually using a laser. It is generally when
shooting from cover like around a corner so you can establish a sight
picture or guide on the laser without exposing any more of your body
and head than necessary. It is also supposed to be more stable on an
"out to the side" hold.

I'm sure you're right in theory Greg, but I doubt that applies much to thug life

"Defense coaches..." I like firearms and have no objections to
reasonable people owning firearms, but I do get a laugh out of all the
youtube vids and magazine articles about which weapons are "the best"
for going to war or "protecting" oneself in a fire fight. If you are
going to war and you are not a soldier of fortune, one assumes "the
military" assigns you a firearm and teaches you how to use it. I'd bet
that 99.99% of non-sworn civilians in this country who "carry" never
have and never will face an armed assailant or gunfire or a grizzly bear
or mountain lion.

One of our local liquor and gourmet food stores has a uniformed and
armed county cop on duty on Saturdays and Sundays, but not during the
workweek. Our county mounties are friendly guys and I often talk to them
while waiting in the checkout line and as I am leaving the store. This
store has *never* had a robbery, but neither have most of the other
stores in the area where there is no armed guard standing around. The
cops tell me the weekend guard duty is a "great gig," because they don't
really have to do anything to earn their off-duty pay and the store
gives them a "great gourmet lunch." More power to them.

wrote:

[...]

Gosh, how many of the youtube vids and magazine articles do you view/read?

Gosh, how often did you sing the praises of your CZ at the expense of other weapons. I suppose you
were kind of funny.

On 1/24/17 1:45 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/24/2017 12:43 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 07:34:42 -0500, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

I've seen people at the range with lasers. Actually, I've seen the
spot of light dancing around the
target. It's not like on the TV where the little spot appears and
holds nice and steady. I think it
must be embarassing for the owner to know his spot of light is
dancing all over the target, 'cause
the laser gets used for only a few seconds and then never brightens
our day again.

It is a good training tool and you don't even need to load the gun or
go to the range. ;-)
I am not sure how good they are in a serious social situation tho. I
have a laser for my KP90 but I took it off and put it away. It was
just a distraction.

Yeah, a couple of my handguns have lasers on them. Initially I tried
the lasers but never use them now. Batteries are probably dead.

I have a pretty expensive laser device for lining up scopes and
barrels*, but I don't know why I'd want a laser pointer permanently or
semi-permanently mounted on a handgun. If you don't practice enough and
can't hit a human-sized target with a handgun in or near the center of
body mass between a couple of feet away and say 50 feet, you probably
shouldn't be depending on a handgun.

* I have the device because I often swap around my various scopes and
red dots on my various rifles. I have a red dot on my .22LR target
pistol, and I just leave it on there. No scope or red dot on my revolver.

wrote:

[...]

I've lost a lot of interest in shooting. The original reason I got a
concealed carry permit was at the advice of a lawyer friend when I first
opened the guitar shop and carried a lot of cash on me everyday.
I got the permit, joined a gun club and started practicing two or three
days a week but after a while it got really boring shooting holes in
paper targets. I rarely carry anymore and keep the handguns and rifles
in a safe or under lock ... except one. Depending on where we are going
I sometimes take it with me but most of the time it's in the house.

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 13:26:04 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 13:06:43 -0500,

wrote:

wrote:

I've seen people at the range with lasers. Actually, I've seen the spot of light dancing around the
target. It's not like on the TV where the little spot appears and holds nice and steady. I think it
must be embarassing for the owner to know his spot of light is dancing all over the target, 'cause
the laser gets used for only a few seconds and then never brightens our day again.

It is a good training tool and you don't even need to load the gun or
go to the range. ;-)
I am not sure how good they are in a serious social situation tho. I
have a laser for my KP90 but I took it off and put it away. It was
just a distraction.

===

I bought one for my CZ 9 that I use for target shooting. It had
problems with holding zero, poor daylight visibility and short,
expensive battery life. It looks cool and makes a good barrel weight
however so I've left it mounted.

The one I have mounts on the trigger guard but it won't go in the
holster I have.

===

I have one of these:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-adjustable-law-enforcement-tactical-leg-holster-for-pistol-flashlight-laser-a.html

It's very versatile and will adjust to just about any gun, accessory,
and carrying position you could want - also a good value.