Default Shooting

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 1/24/17 2:27 PM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 1/24/17 1:12 PM, Tim wrote:
Jan
On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 11:17:42 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

What'd be impressive is when you hit targets while holding the gun
sideways i.e. "Gangstah".

The funny thing is I am seeing some defense coaches talking about that
sideways hold now, usually using a laser. It is generally when
shooting from cover like around a corner so you can establish a sight
picture or guide on the laser without exposing any more of your body
and head than necessary. It is also supposed to be more stable on an
"out to the side" hold.

I'm sure you're right in theory Greg, but I doubt that applies much
to thug life

"Defense coaches..." I like firearms and have no objections to
reasonable people owning firearms, but I do get a laugh out of all the
youtube vids and magazine articles about which weapons are "the best"
for going to war or "protecting" oneself in a fire fight. If you are
going to war and you are not a soldier of fortune, one assumes "the
military" assigns you a firearm and teaches you how to use it. I'd bet
that 99.99% of non-sworn civilians in this country who "carry" never
have and never will face an armed assailant or gunfire or a grizzly
bear
or mountain lion.

One of our local liquor and gourmet food stores has a uniformed and
armed county cop on duty on Saturdays and Sundays, but not during the
workweek. Our county mounties are friendly guys and I often talk to
them
while waiting in the checkout line and as I am leaving the store. This
store has *never* had a robbery, but neither have most of the other
stores in the area where there is no armed guard standing around. The
cops tell me the weekend guard duty is a "great gig," because they
don't
really have to do anything to earn their off-duty pay and the store
gives them a "great gourmet lunch." More power to them.

Do not know the latest stats, but 20 years ago, only 5% of police ever
pulled their weapon in the line of duty in their whole career.

I see some cops at the local ranges who are horrible shots, and some
of them joke about it. One would think a certain level of proficiency
with firearms would have to be achieved and maintained, but maybe no.
Last year when I was messing around at the range with my revolver and
shooting pretty decently, one of them asked me how I got "so good."
Well, I'm only "decent" with it, certainly not "so good." I told him
the same way a musician gets to Carnegie Hall...practice, practice,
practice. He got it.

BS

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 17:22:25 -0500, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

If I buy another laser I am looking at the new laserlyte that has a
training mode. In training mode it fires a short pop of laser light
when it hears the hammer/striker fall. When used with their training
targets it looks interesting. It is also the regular gun laser in the
normal mode.

I've thought this would be rather run. Might put it on the Christmas list for next year. Although I
do have a birthday coming up. Might go that route.

https://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-Qui...EVZ8T9HSA32RA6

Then I'll also need the trainer cartridge:

https://www.amazon.com/Laserlyte-Las...0PFC42896W4EBK

This could get expensive. Let's see - .38, 9mm, .45, .22, damn. Wonder if they make one in 7.62x54R

I bet there is an adapter that lets you use the 9mm laser in a larger
cartridge format. If so I think I would start with .380 and shim it up
from there.
I saw an adapter for a 308 that lets you fire 32ACP that I almost
bought but 32 was not that cheap at the time. I have not looked
lately. A laser adapter could just be a plastic injection molding tho.
That might actually be the reason someone would buy a 3d printer or a
lathe. (Henc is trying to sell me his)

The one I am waiting for is the Virtual Reality headset with a front
side camera that responds to the laser. They could project pop up
targets in your current environment and score hits. I will be
surprised if it is not here by christmas

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 18:43:44 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

Actually you should appreciate my switch from shooting birds to
shooting clay birds. I am pretty good at it and I used to shoot lots
of birds. I realized I liked the shooting part a lot better than the
dead bird part. (cleaning, cooking etc for a mc nugget size bite of
meat). The skeets are always there, you don't have to go find the ones
you hit and it is always open season on them.

Hey, it takes a *real* man to shoot those dangerous skeets!

They are a tad harder to hit than a pop bottle or a sheet of paper.
Next time I am in town, we can go find a skeet range if you like. I
will be easy on you, say buck a bird? (bearing in mind I have not shot
skeet for almost 40 years and I will be shooting a club gun).

Keyser Soze wrote:
wrote:

[...]

And that had what to do about pulling the weapon in the line of duty?

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Are you seriously saying a gun owner should not have any kind of
training?
As for the likelihood of needing a gun in a defense situation, I
assume you have/had a fire extinguisher on your boat. Did you ever
have to use it? Were you actually trained in how to use it?

In my 70 years, I have never discharged a fire extinguisher except in
training and I have plenty.

Was trained in fire extinguishers when racing cars. Have actually had to
use them a couple times. One time my POS 1968 charger decided to crack a
fuel line while traveling down highway 50. And another time put out
another guys car fire, and he never even offered to pay for the refill.
Should have let it burn.

wrote:

Actually you should appreciate my switch from shooting birds to
shooting clay birds. I am pretty good at it and I used to shoot lots
of birds. I realized I liked the shooting part a lot better than the
dead bird part. (cleaning, cooking etc for a mc nugget size bite of
meat). The skeets are always there, you don't have to go find the ones
you hit and it is always open season on them.

Hey, it takes a *real* man to shoot those dangerous skeets!

They are a tad harder to hit than a pop bottle or a sheet of paper.
Next time I am in town, we can go find a skeet range if you like. I
will be easy on you, say buck a bird? (bearing in mind I have not shot
skeet for almost 40 years and I will be shooting a club gun).

Sporting clays is a lot more fun and challenging. I'm luck to have a
course right by my house with a new one opening later this year about 20
miles away.

It sounds interesting but the only place around here was 30 miles away
and they had a spotty record of being open on the days they were
supposed to be. One wasted trip turned me off on them. I am not sure
if they are still even there.
Skeet does have a certain elegance to it.