Default Supremes let "Assault Weapon" ban stand

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 14:03:46 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 10:43:08 -0800, Califbill billnews wrote:

Justan Olphart wrote:
On 12/11/2015 10:57 PM, Alex wrote:
True North wrote:
Justan Olphart
"Individually, you two are pretty dumb. Teamed up you are incredibly so."

If I was you Stinky, I'd be more worried about a senile John
accidentally flushing his bowl and sending you on a journey to the sea.

Wow! That was--insane! It's one fr the Mrs. White file. Poor lady
probably has no idea what keys dumb Don is punching on his Playbook!

Flushing toilets into the harbour is only done in Halifax NS. A
disgusting practice that was abandoned in civilized shoreside cities.

It is a Canada thing. Victoria also dumps untreated sewage in to the sea.

Once you get over the yuck factor, poop is very biodegradable and
there is no long term damage that you wouldn't have from treated
sewage (mostly nutrients). In the short term it can be a very bad
thing locally tho (many diseases come from that).
If they want to turn their harbor into a septic tank, it doesn't
bother me much. I am not swimming there anyway. The water is too cold
;-)

In terms of Halifax Harbor, you're probably right. But the Chesapeake Bay Foundation
would probably argue with that first sentence as far as the health of the bay goes.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

True North wrote:
[...]

Vancouver island has some very nice swimming beaches. Even you could swim.
The 13' plus tides uncover huge amounts of sand beaches, and they warm up
in the sun. Tide comes in and they have 75 degree water.

I am a Florida guy. 80 is a practical minimum and we like 84

True North wrote:
[...]

From what I have read, the problems with the bay are related to
nutrients and they survive the treatment process. They do get a lot of
E-coli but it is mostly agricultural, particularly from Frank Purdue
et al.
There is also a lot of "hard" pollution coming down the Susquehanna
but that is from as far away as central New York.

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 15:54:41 -0800, Califbill billnews wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 14:38:51 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 12/12/2015 2:07 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 09:43:38 -0500, John H.
wrote:

I don't doubt Don's word on the issue, but I'm still surprised that recreational
boaters are permitted to dump black water into Halifax Harbor.

===

Is it city dumping that you are concerned about or boater dumping?

Most cities still have their storm drain system piped into their black
water sanitary sewage systems. Every time it rains, the storm water
overwhelms the treatment facility and black water goes into
recreational waters. This happens all over the US. That's why the
boater laws are mostly a joke. You can see the evidence when public
beaches get closed for high levels of e-coli bacteria. It happens all
the time.

Until you visit a marina overnight on a slip, get up the next morning
and while having a cup of coffee on the forward deck you see turds
floating by from one of the boats on a mooring.

That's the kind of laxity I'm talking about!
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

I can remember ear goi on a CG ship cruise in SF bay as a young scout. We
were at the entrance to the Oakland estuary. Lots of turds floating. Was
the outfall of the Oakland sewage plant. They said it was deep,water and
was unnoticeable. Politicians!

When I was in the CG, our ships vented the toilets directly overboard
if we were not in the shore tie. I was disgusted when they flushed in
Nassau harbor.

wrote:

[...]

Here, you have to be 3 miles offshore before dumping holding tanks. And I
think it is all macerated requirement.