Default Supremes let "Assault Weapon" ban stand

The U.S. Supreme Court steered clear of a politically charged fight over
gun rights, turning away a challenge to a law banning semi-automatic
assault weapons and large-capacity magazines in a Chicago suburb. The
vote was 7-2 to not hear the case.

The justices left intact a federal appeals court decision that said the
Highland Park, Illinois, restrictions don’t infringe on the
constitutional right to bear arms. The appeals court said residents have
plenty of legal self-defense options, including handguns and other types
of long guns.

- - -

I think I mentioned here I sold my "Assault Weapon," my Colt AR 15, some
months ago. It was a fine rifle, but the more I thought about what it
was, the more it troubled me to own it. I replaced it with a more
traditional-looking rifle that handles the same round, and I actually
prefer using it with small magazines.
Tim Tim is offline

Harry this tells me that you got rid of a 50 yr of design assault rifle in leu of a 150 year old design assault rifle.

On 12/7/15 10:22 AM, Tim wrote:
Harry this tells me that you got rid of a 50 yr of design assault rifle in leu of a 150 year old design assault rifle.

Probably, but the replacement for the Colt looks like your run of the
mill ordinary rifle.

How are you feeling, by the way? On the road to recovery, I hope.

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-5, Keyser Söze wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear you were so troubled. What rifle is it that you are using as a replacement? I assume your aversion to the assault rifles caused you to destroy the weapon. Surely you didn't sell it, allowing it to be used as an 'assoult rifle' by someone else!

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 10:02:35 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote:

I think I mentioned here I sold my "Assault Weapon," my Colt AR 15, some
months ago. It was a fine rifle, but the more I thought about what it
was, the more it troubled me to own it. I replaced it with a more
traditional-looking rifle that handles the same round, and I actually
prefer using it with small magazines.

My M1A looks like a traditional rifle. It is not really an assault
rifle tho because it is not selective fire and it shoots a full sized
cartridge. Ballistically the 7.62x51 is pretty much identical to the
30-06. You can shoot the same bullets at the same velocities,
particularly if you use SAAMI .308 loadings but the milspec "ball"
round is about the same.

On 12/7/15 12:48 PM, John H wrote:
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 12:07:37 PM UTC-5, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 12/7/15 11:59 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 10:02:35 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote:

I think I mentioned here I sold my "Assault Weapon," my Colt AR 15, some
months ago. It was a fine rifle, but the more I thought about what it
was, the more it troubled me to own it. I replaced it with a more
traditional-looking rifle that handles the same round, and I actually
prefer using it with small magazines.

My M1A looks like a traditional rifle. It is not really an assault
rifle tho because it is not selective fire and it shoots a full sized
cartridge. Ballistically the 7.62x51 is pretty much identical to the
30-06. You can shoot the same bullets at the same velocities,
particularly if you use SAAMI .308 loadings but the milspec "ball"
round is about the same.

My "replacement" for the Colt is a Ruger Mini 14 "Ranch", the one with a
black "plastic" (the plastic has a fancier name, but it is plastic to
me) stock. I put a scope mount rail on it, and for the moment I have a
red dot sight on the rifle. The only modification I've made so far is to
send the trigger assembly out for a "full trigger job" to smooth and
lighten the action. It shoots the stockpile of .223 and 5.56 ammo I have.

Ah, a 'stealth' AR-15.

There you go. Actually, I didn't know this at the time I got it, but
apparently there are videos and instructions readily available to turn
the Mini 14 into a full auto rifle. Well, illegalities aside, that's not
for me. I hate to waste ammo, considering decent rounds are 29 cents
each. In fact, I use five round mags only. They fit flush to the bottom
of the rifle.

On 12/7/15 11:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

More like an HO gauge M14