Default S&W M&P 15/22

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:18:18 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 10:10:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:50:39 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/22/15 11:38 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 09:53:34 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/22/15 9:38 AM, Tim wrote:
Cheap ammo? Yes and no. I like the Russian for its close range punch. Besides I have several a few other .223. This would be a better option to the SKS.

Close range punch? Destroying concrete blocks?

The only 30 caliber I recall shooting is a 300 blackout, which, I
suppose, is wimpy compared to the round you're considering.

Wolf Gold in .223 is back down under 30 cents a round again. It's my
cheap ammo of choice.

100 yards is the farthest distance for shooting to which I have easy
access, and for popping targets, .223 and .357 MAG do the job for me,
and, if I aim high enough, .22LR. Now, if I could only shoot my revolver
really accurately at 50 yards or more...

The redeeming thing I have heard about the .300 blackout is it is
better in sub sonic, which would be important if you have a can.
If you just want to shoot a lot, the price of 7.62x39 is hard to beat.
The world is awash with it.

Brass cased 7.62x39 is just a penny or so a round cheaper than brass
cased .223. Brass cased 300 blackout is twice as expensive. The subsonic
300 blackout is substantially more expensive than that.

I have some bricks of "suppressor" .22LR ammo, but I haven't perceived
that it is quieter than CCI's standard velocity ammo, which can be had
nowadays for seven to 10 cents a round if you keep an eye out for it.

The subsonic thing mostly affects the sound down range. Behind the
barrel you don't hear much of the crack but you get all of the gun
noise. 22rf drops below super sonic pretty fast anyway, particularly
out of a hand gun.

Have you tried these
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/250...ead-round-nose

I have a couple bricks and they seem very quiet in an unsupressed
rifle. They make up for the low speed with more weight to maintain
down range performance.

Why not use .22 shorts?

I think that 65gr bullet would do better on squirrels if that is what
you do.

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 21:09:43 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/22/15 9:08 PM, Tim wrote:
Around here and at their peak shorts were 4.40 bucks a hundred and were available. That was when you couldn't find anything else too.

When I started driving legally, gasoline was 19 cents a gallon.

.... and shorts were 55 cents a box at the 7-11.

wrote:
Got out to the range this morning. Among other things, finally got some
to sight in my 15/22. After fine-tuning of the cheap, chinese red dot, I
put 20 rounds of Gem-Tech 22LR subsonics in a one inch target dot at 30
yards without really trying. The first ten were slow, but the last ten
were rapid fire, shots about one second apart. No bipod or bench rest,
just elbows on the table. I really like this rifle, sweet shooting and
has a good stock trigger. The stamp for the can should be here any day.
Squirrels beware!

Red dots are not a scope. They are for fast acquisition of target. I have
an M&P in 5.62 shoots well. Thinking of mounting the Leopold scope on my
..06 on it.

On 8/22/2015 11:30 PM, Tim wrote:
On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 6:09:45 PM UTC-7, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 8/22/15 9:08 PM, Tim wrote:
Around here and at their peak shorts were 4.40 bucks a hundred and were available. That was when you couldn't find anything else too.

When I started driving legally, gasoline was 19 cents a gallon.

Thats wonderful.

He has a long history of skirting the law. Apparently it began before he
was of legal driving age.

On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 3:07:39 AM UTC-4, Califbill wrote:
wrote:
Got out to the range this morning. Among other things, finally got some
to sight in my 15/22. After fine-tuning of the cheap, chinese red dot, I
put 20 rounds of Gem-Tech 22LR subsonics in a one inch target dot at 30
yards without really trying. The first ten were slow, but the last ten
were rapid fire, shots about one second apart. No bipod or bench rest,
just elbows on the table. I really like this rifle, sweet shooting and
has a good stock trigger. The stamp for the can should be here any day.
Squirrels beware!

Red dots are not a scope. They are for fast acquisition of target. I have
an M&P in 5.62 shoots well. Thinking of mounting the Leopold scope on my
.06 on it.

Didn't say it was a scope. Don't need one at 30 yards. But they do have to be sighted in, or else the dot won't be where the bullet is going.

On 8/22/15 9:08 PM, Tim wrote:
Around here and at their peak shorts were 4.40 bucks a hundred and were available. That was when you couldn't find anything else too.

When I started driving legally, gasoline was 19 cents a gallon.

Thats wonderful.

Oh, I thought you were reminiscing about the good old day when stuff was
cheap.

wrote:

On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 10:10:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:50:39 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

On 8/22/15 9:38 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Ahh, squirrel hunting...that's what brave men do, because they can make
squirrelskin caps for their grandkids and grill the meat on the barbecue.

wrote:

On 8/22/15 9:08 PM, Tim wrote:
Around here and at their peak shorts were 4.40 bucks a hundred and were available. That was when you couldn't find anything else too.

When I started driving legally, gasoline was 19 cents a gallon.

... and shorts were 55 cents a box at the 7-11.

Obviously, you weren't buying Jockey shorts. (rim shot)

Gasoline might have been a little cheaper when I was about 12 and
actually started driving my dad's jeeps around the boatyard and retail
store. Four years later, when I took my driver's license test, the
driving instructor who accompanied me (a requirement in those days) had
to bring an old Plymouth from the late 1940s for me to use, because his
other drivers' ed cars had automatic transmissions and I had no
experience with those. The Plymouth (or maybe it was a Chrysler) had
"fluid drive," but you could still drive it as a column mounted stick
shift. I seem to recall you didn't have to use the clutch when
shifting...but that could be a mistaken memory.

The retail store was next door to a service station that sold tires and
gasoline. I could drive from the back of my dad's store to the gas
station's property without putting a tire on the city's street, and tow
boats over there to fill up their tanks with gasoline and two cycle oil.

On 8/23/15 3:07 AM, Califbill wrote:
wrote:
Got out to the range this morning. Among other things, finally got some
to sight in my 15/22. After fine-tuning of the cheap, chinese red dot, I
put 20 rounds of Gem-Tech 22LR subsonics in a one inch target dot at 30
yards without really trying. The first ten were slow, but the last ten
were rapid fire, shots about one second apart. No bipod or bench rest,
just elbows on the table. I really like this rifle, sweet shooting and
has a good stock trigger. The stamp for the can should be here any day.
Squirrels beware!

Red dots are not a scope. They are for fast acquisition of target. I have
an M&P in 5.62 shoots well. Thinking of mounting the Leopold scope on my
.06 on it.

Oh, I was wondering who was shooting squirrels. Figures.

At the moment, I have a Vortex SPARC II red dot on my Colt AR15. But
sometimes I shoot with just the iron sights. I put a 1x4 Vortex scope on
my Henry .357, and it incorporates a lighted dot you can switch on or off.

I have a bunch of it, but I "discovered" there really is no need to pay
extra to get so-called "suppressor" ammo for a silenced .22LR firearm.
The CCI Standard Velocity is subsonic and sounds the same out of a
suppressed firearm as the more expensive and usually harder to find
"suppressor" ammo. Eight or nine cents a round typically will get the
CCI stuff, and it is pretty available these days.