Default S&W M&P 15/22

Got out to the range this morning. Among other things, finally got some to sight in my 15/22. After fine-tuning of the cheap, chinese red dot, I put 20 rounds of Gem-Tech 22LR subsonics in a one inch target dot at 30 yards without really trying. The first ten were slow, but the last ten were rapid fire, shots about one second apart. No bipod or bench rest, just elbows on the table. I really like this rifle, sweet shooting and has a good stock trigger. The stamp for the can should be here any day. Squirrels beware!
Tim Tim is offline

A couple weeks ago I shot about 50 rd of /223 through a SW mp and was quite impressed. One downside for me was it was way feather light compared to the big bore bolt actions that I'm used to, and was all over the target at 100 yd.s

After I settled down, it was still a better gun than my aim but I was able to throw FMJ into about a 3" group. I liked it and am considering one.

On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 7:39:11 PM UTC-4, Tim wrote:
A couple weeks ago I shot about 50 rd of /223 through a SW mp and was quite impressed. One downside for me was it was way feather light compared to the big bore bolt actions that I'm used to, and was all over the target at 100 yd.s

After I settled down, it was still a better gun than my aim but I was able to throw FMJ into about a 3" group. I liked it and am considering one.

I also shot my AR with some generic 5.56 reloads. Was still settling the scope down (a drop-zone Bushnell 4x), but hit the center at 100 yrds after a few rounds. Still not satisfied, but after some more tweaking and some better ammo, I expect better.

The M&P is a great rifle.

On 8/21/15 7:39 PM, Tim wrote:
A couple weeks ago I shot about 50 rd of /223 through a SW mp and was quite impressed. One downside for me was it was way feather light compared to the big bore bolt actions that I'm used to, and was all over the target at 100 yd.s

After I settled down, it was still a better gun than my aim but I was able to throw FMJ into about a 3" group. I liked it and am considering one.

I don't know if Smith makes an HBAR model, but these typically are about
a pound heavier as delivered because of the thicker barrel, and they
also tend to be easier to control and more accurate. I also upgraded to
a handguard that allowed me to free-float the barrel.

I shoot 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" groups at 100 yards with my AR 15, a Colt HBAR,
and decent but not premium ammo with brass shell casings and non-ferrous
bullets. That's sitting at a shooting table with the rifle resting on a
bag. One of these days, I'll buy some more expensive "precision target"
ammo and see if that and more practice gets me down to 1" groups. I'm
also thinking of upgrading the trigger.

My "other" AR type rifle is a Smith M&P 15 in .22LR. It's a fun plinker,
and with my silencer and subsonic CCI "standard" ammo, the only sound
you hear is the bolt cycling.

You can run a .223/5.56 AR with a silencer, but the ammo to do that is
pricey, and so is the silencer. Also, subsonic ammo in that caliber
doesn't have nearly the punch the standard ammo does.
Tim Tim is offline

If I do get one it'll be chambered in 7.62x39

Tim wrote:
If I do get one it'll be chambered in 7.62x39

Cheap ammo?
--
Sent from my iPhone 6+
Tim Tim is offline

Cheap ammo? Yes and no. I like the Russian for its close range punch. Besides I have several a few other .223. This would be a better option to the SKS.

On 8/22/15 9:38 AM, Tim wrote:
Cheap ammo? Yes and no. I like the Russian for its close range punch. Besides I have several a few other .223. This would be a better option to the SKS.

Close range punch? Destroying concrete blocks?

The only 30 caliber I recall shooting is a 300 blackout, which, I
suppose, is wimpy compared to the round you're considering.

Wolf Gold in .223 is back down under 30 cents a round again. It's my
cheap ammo of choice.

100 yards is the farthest distance for shooting to which I have easy
access, and for popping targets, .223 and .357 MAG do the job for me,
and, if I aim high enough, .22LR. Now, if I could only shoot my revolver
really accurately at 50 yards or more...

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 09:53:34 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/22/15 9:38 AM, Tim wrote:
Cheap ammo? Yes and no. I like the Russian for its close range punch. Besides I have several a few other .223. This would be a better option to the SKS.

Close range punch? Destroying concrete blocks?

The only 30 caliber I recall shooting is a 300 blackout, which, I
suppose, is wimpy compared to the round you're considering.

Wolf Gold in .223 is back down under 30 cents a round again. It's my
cheap ammo of choice.

100 yards is the farthest distance for shooting to which I have easy
access, and for popping targets, .223 and .357 MAG do the job for me,
and, if I aim high enough, .22LR. Now, if I could only shoot my revolver
really accurately at 50 yards or more...

The redeeming thing I have heard about the .300 blackout is it is
better in sub sonic, which would be important if you have a can.
If you just want to shoot a lot, the price of 7.62x39 is hard to beat.
The world is awash with it.

wrote:

On 8/22/15 9:38 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Brass cased 7.62x39 is just a penny or so a round cheaper than brass
cased .223. Brass cased 300 blackout is twice as expensive. The subsonic
300 blackout is substantially more expensive than that.

I have some bricks of "suppressor" .22LR ammo, but I haven't perceived
that it is quieter than CCI's standard velocity ammo, which can be had
nowadays for seven to 10 cents a round if you keep an eye out for it.