Keyser Söze Keyser Söze is offline

Default S&W M&P 15/22

On 8/21/15 7:39 PM, Tim wrote:
A couple weeks ago I shot about 50 rd of /223 through a SW mp and was quite impressed. One downside for me was it was way feather light compared to the big bore bolt actions that I'm used to, and was all over the target at 100 yd.s

After I settled down, it was still a better gun than my aim but I was able to throw FMJ into about a 3" group. I liked it and am considering one.

I don't know if Smith makes an HBAR model, but these typically are about
a pound heavier as delivered because of the thicker barrel, and they
also tend to be easier to control and more accurate. I also upgraded to
a handguard that allowed me to free-float the barrel.

I shoot 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" groups at 100 yards with my AR 15, a Colt HBAR,
and decent but not premium ammo with brass shell casings and non-ferrous
bullets. That's sitting at a shooting table with the rifle resting on a
bag. One of these days, I'll buy some more expensive "precision target"
ammo and see if that and more practice gets me down to 1" groups. I'm
also thinking of upgrading the trigger.

My "other" AR type rifle is a Smith M&P 15 in .22LR. It's a fun plinker,
and with my silencer and subsonic CCI "standard" ammo, the only sound
you hear is the bolt cycling.

You can run a .223/5.56 AR with a silencer, but the ammo to do that is
pricey, and so is the silencer. Also, subsonic ammo in that caliber
doesn't have nearly the punch the standard ammo does.