Default Navy Carrier Pilots - Overpaid?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:21:48 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 2/13/2015 12:58 PM, Abit Loco wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:30:35 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 11:02:25 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 2/13/2015 10:53 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 08:48:05 -0500, Abit Loco
wrote:

Now I see why these folks are all chewing gum so hard.

A couple of great videos.

Part One http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4gGMI8d3vLs

Part Two http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=S0yj70QbBzg

My butt was puckering just watching the videos.

===

Good vids John, thanks for posting.

That has to be one of the scariest jobs in the world. The son of one
of our neighbors was doing it for a while but recently retired. He
was top gun in his training group about the time we moved to Florida
and his parents were justifiably proud.

Interesting when one of the pilots commented that landing on a pitching
deck was more dangerous than flying combat missions.

I'll bet the CO of that carrier was kicking himself for allowing "training".

===

Dangerous as it is they probably feel a need to practice and train for
adverse conditions. After all, you don't get a chance to pick ideal
weather for combat operations. There must be a set of guidelines for
when they can fly

He cut the training short, from what I understood, so the Captain must have realized
he was skating on thin ice.

I think so also. Even when it was called off they had a hell of a time
recovering all the planes and pilots. I'll bet they didn't plan on it
being night ops. Risky things are done at times during warfare but the
risks here were not necessary. How often are you sailing in seas like that?

===

It's easy to understand how a situation like that develops however.
The captain no doubt had orders to go out and conduct practice
excercises. Conditions were probably a bit better when they started
and within training guidelines. No captain wants to abort a mission
that's been ordered from above unless there is a very clear cut reason
to do so. You get ahead in the military by getting things done and
overcoming adversity.

Of course once you send planes up, you've got to get them down and
that's where things started to get hairy. There were repeated "go
arounds" and planes had to be refueled in mid-air. That all takes
extra time and conditions probably deteriorated along the way making
things even worse.

On 2/13/2015 1:30 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:16:33 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 2/13/2015 12:58 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:38:25 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

Now I see why these folks are all chewing gum so hard.

A couple of great videos.

Part One
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4gGMI8d3vLs

Part Two http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=S0yj70QbBzg

My butt was puckering just watching the videos.

===

Good vids John, thanks for posting.

That has to be one of the scariest jobs in the world. The son of one
of our neighbors was doing it for a while but recently retired. He
was top gun in his training group about the time we moved to Florida
and his parents were justifiably proud.

Interesting when one of the pilots commented that landing on a pitching
deck was more dangerous than flying combat missions.

I'll bet the CO of that carrier was kicking himself for allowing "training".

I think you have to train in the same conditions you may have to fight
in and we don't take a time out in a war for weather.

Halsey almost got court martialed for that. A CO's primary
responsibility is the safety of the ship and crew. I don't
think night landings in 30 foot seas is in the training manual.

The Coast Guard trains in very rough conditions on a regular basis on
a lot smaller vessels than a nuke carrier and they called us "puddle
pirates"

The Coast Guard isn't doing night landings with billion dollar fighters
on a pitching flight deck in 30 foot sea swells. 30 feet is 30 feet
regardless of how big the ship is. Those carrier landings are precise.
Imagine being lined up and having the deck drop or rise 20 feet or so
at the last minute ... at over 130 knots.

If a plane and pilot had been lost in those conditions you can betcha
life there would be a formal inquiry and the CO would likely be found
negligent.

Many of the pilots said this was all new to them. Not standard
operating procedure.

It is not "new to them" now and that might have been the objective.
War is a dangerous thing and training for it has to be too.

As for the CG, when they are dropping a rescue swimmer into the water
during a hurricane, you don't want it to be the first time he has ever
been in rough water, nor do you want that helicopter pilot to have
done all of his training on a sunny day.

Again, the primary responsibility of a ship's captain is the safety
of the ship and crew. The risks became very apparent after the many
bolters and that next to last pilot was one attempt away from ditching.

I highly respect what the USCG does but the situation is not the same.
I've seen videos of Coast Guard rescue missions being aborted due to
weather or seas that are too rough.

wrote:

[...]

Been a while since Navy days but I don't think the captain of a ship
gets orders from above to conduct training. Training is a normal
ship's routine while underway and the scheduling is done at the local
command.

Another issue is the chain of command on a carrier. The pilots and
planes are squadrons that embark on the carrier when it is deployed.
The squadron has it's own CO who is also responsible for training.

But, the ship's captain has the final say.

Abit Loco wrote:
Now I see why these folks are all chewing gum so hard.

A couple of great videos.

Part One http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4gGMI8d3vLs

Part Two http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=S0yj70QbBzg

My butt was puckering just watching the videos.

That's some awesome stuff!

---

Keyser Söze wrote:
On 2/13/15 11:26 AM, Abit Loco wrote:
On 13 Feb 2015 15:07:09 GMT, Keyser Söze wrote:

Abit Loco wrote:
Now I see why these folks are all chewing gum so hard.

A couple of great videos.
My butt was puckering just watching the videos.

Yawn and I'll bet it was. Why are you pimping for the military?

I've always appreciated our military, Krause. I've got a bunch of
grandkids I'd love
to see in a military academy some day.

I'm hoping mine go to MIT, Harvard, or CalTech.

They don't know you exist and rightfully so.

---

Someone Else wrote:
Abit Loco wrote:
Now I see why these folks are all chewing gum so hard.

A couple of great videos.

Part One http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4gGMI8d3vLs

Part Two http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=S0yj70QbBzg

My butt was puckering just watching the videos.

That's some awesome stuff!

---

I have a friend who was a Marine carrier pilot, two tours in Vietnam. Said
the hardest part of the selection test was lining up a couple paddles in a
long box. Said that washed out more pilot wannabes than anything else.
Was a depth perception test.

--
Proud to be a Liberal.

Those are some great choices, Harry. I hope they get in. I'm sure they'll excel should they do so.

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 18:48:01 -0500, KC wrote:

Might have told this one before but a friend of mine was a pilot in
Vietnam and after spent a long career flying freight for American
Airlines. A few years after retirement, in the early 90's I was at his
house and he had a huge computer screen with a full yoke and pedals and
was flying a Flight Simulator, I think it was the Microsoft package. I
had never seen one before with the full hand and foot controls, it was
pretty cool... After watching him fly for some time during our
conversation that day I asked him "what happens when you crash the
thing?". Wondering what the software package did and his answer caught
me off guard. He said, "I don't know, I would never crash it".... To me
that was weird, but I accepted it and still do.

===

I remember the orignal Microsoft Flight Simulator that ran on the
early IBM PCs using keyboard controls to fly the plane. If you
crashed, and just about everyone did, it would make a very abrupt
crunching sound and the windshield image would shatter. It was a bit
unnerving the first time it happened to you.

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 12:25:26 PM UTC-5, John H. wrote:

The big difference between simulators/real airplanes and RC airplanes - in sims or
real planes, the nose of the plane is in front of you. With an RC plane, at least
part of the time, the nose is pointed at you. That means the left and right controls
are reversed. This, I believe, is what causes the most problems, at least for me.

Another related difference is that pilots in a real plane has a seat of the pants, first person view. Not so with RC.

Something that helps newbies to RC is that when the airplane is flying towards you and the controls are reversed, your can turn your body so the transmitter is faced the same way as the plane, but look back over your shoulder at the plane. That way the stick moves to the right, the plane moves to the right. It's a crutch, but with some more stick time it'll come naturally.

For the RC, feet on the ground pilots.. Mr. Luddite General 9 March 18th 14 09:34 PM
Bush admin. overpaid banks in HIS bailout. [email protected] General 14 February 7th 09 12:50 PM
Auto pilots Cameron Starr General 2 January 4th 07 08:37 PM
Navy announces new Kerry Class aircraft carrier! Larry W4CSC Cruising 0 June 3rd 04 02:17 AM