Default Navy Carrier Pilots - Overpaid?

On 2/13/2015 11:55 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 11:02:25 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 2/13/2015 10:53 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 08:48:05 -0500, Abit Loco
wrote:

Now I see why these folks are all chewing gum so hard.

A couple of great videos.

Part One
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4gGMI8d3vLs

Part Two http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=S0yj70QbBzg

My butt was puckering just watching the videos.

===

Good vids John, thanks for posting.

That has to be one of the scariest jobs in the world. The son of one
of our neighbors was doing it for a while but recently retired. He
was top gun in his training group about the time we moved to Florida
and his parents were justifiably proud.

Interesting when one of the pilots commented that landing on a pitching
deck was more dangerous than flying combat missions.

I'll bet the CO of that carrier was kicking himself for allowing "training".

I think you have to train in the same conditions you may have to fight
in and we don't take a time out in a war for weather.

Halsey almost got court martialed for that. A CO's primary
responsibility is the safety of the ship and crew. I don't
think night landings in 30 foot seas is in the training manual.

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Now I see why these folks are all chewing gum so hard.

A couple of great videos.

Part One
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4gGMI8d3vLs

Part Two http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=S0yj70QbBzg

My butt was puckering just watching the videos.

===

Good vids John, thanks for posting.

That has to be one of the scariest jobs in the world. The son of one
of our neighbors was doing it for a while but recently retired. He
was top gun in his training group about the time we moved to Florida
and his parents were justifiably proud.

Interesting when one of the pilots commented that landing on a pitching
deck was more dangerous than flying combat missions.

I'll bet the CO of that carrier was kicking himself for allowing "training".

===

Dangerous as it is they probably feel a need to practice and train for
adverse conditions. After all, you don't get a chance to pick ideal
weather for combat operations. There must be a set of guidelines for
when they can fly

The pilots thought it too dangerous. It provides no repeatable
training. You have to go looking for those sea conditions.
If a pilot was killed the skipper would lose his command. If two or
three were killed he'd face a court martial.
The only thing they proved is that male chauvinism is alive and well,
and girls can chew gum.

wrote:

[...]

He cut the training short, from what I understood, so the Captain must have realized
he was skating on thin ice.
--

Guns don't cause problems. The behavior
of certain gun owners causes problems.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 11:48:39 -0600, Boating All Out
wrote:

If a pilot was killed the skipper would lose his command.

===

Only if he was operating outside of established guide lines.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:12:42 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 2/13/15 11:26 AM, Abit Loco wrote:
On 13 Feb 2015 15:07:09 GMT, Keyser Söze wrote:

Abit Loco wrote:
Now I see why these folks are all chewing gum so hard.

A couple of great videos.
My butt was puckering just watching the videos.

Yawn and I'll bet it was. Why are you pimping for the military?

I've always appreciated our military, Krause. I've got a bunch of grandkids I'd love
to see in a military academy some day.

I'm hoping mine go to MIT, Harvard, or CalTech.

===

Why not Stanford?

I suppose it's possible but I've never heard of anyone going to MIT or
CalTech for a liberal arts major.

On 2/13/2015 12:58 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:38:25 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The Coast Guard trains in very rough conditions on a regular basis on
a lot smaller vessels than a nuke carrier and they called us "puddle
pirates"

The Coast Guard isn't doing night landings with billion dollar fighters
on a pitching flight deck in 30 foot sea swells. 30 feet is 30 feet
regardless of how big the ship is. Those carrier landings are precise.
Imagine being lined up and having the deck drop or rise 20 feet or so
at the last minute ... at over 130 knots.

If a plane and pilot had been lost in those conditions you can betcha
life there would be a formal inquiry and the CO would likely be found
negligent.

Many of the pilots said this was all new to them. Not standard
operating procedure.

On 2/13/2015 12:48 PM, Boating All Out wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

LOL. Got a kick out of her.

wrote:

[...]

I think so also. Even when it was called off they had a hell of a time
recovering all the planes and pilots. I'll bet they didn't plan on it
being night ops. Risky things are done at times during warfare but the
risks here were not necessary. How often are you sailing in seas like that?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:16:33 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 2/13/2015 12:58 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:38:25 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'm thinking you're probably right.
--

Guns don't cause problems. The behavior
of certain gun owners causes problems.

For the RC, feet on the ground pilots.. Mr. Luddite General 9 March 18th 14 09:34 PM
Bush admin. overpaid banks in HIS bailout. [email protected] General 14 February 7th 09 12:50 PM
Auto pilots Cameron Starr General 2 January 4th 07 08:37 PM
Navy announces new Kerry Class aircraft carrier! Larry W4CSC Cruising 0 June 3rd 04 02:17 AM