Default Navy Carrier Pilots - Overpaid?

Keyser Söze wrote:
On 2/21/15 11:46 AM, Califbill wrote:
John H. wrote:
On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 22:04:40 -0600, Califbill wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:33:18 -0500, wrote:

I got the offer several times to go on a sight seeing
ride but we never got around to it. It wasn't really that high on my
bucket list.

===

There's nothing like it on a nice day. The views of the water and
beaches are just spectacular.

One of my great airplane rides was on a Douglas C-117 back in about 1966.
From Ogden, UT to the airbase in Novato, Ca. Is a DC-3 variant and we had
to stay below 10,000 feet and it cruised at maybe 200 knots. Beautiful
summer day. Could watch the skiers in the CAlif foothill lakes, and we
were maybe at 1000' AGL over Donner pass. We followed I-80 the whole way.

We flew home from Puerto Rico, in 1954, in a C-124. Great flight. I was ten years old
and got to ride in the cockpit almost the whole way back.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...emaster_II.jpg

When I first went to Travis AFB in 1965 our mobile communications squadron
unit shared a building I with the parachute riggers in the back and storage
of those big Rotary engines for the 124's. When I was at Hamilton, there
were still some 124's flying with the reserves and ang. That MATs plane
was probably out of Travis. That is the Marin end of the Golden Gate
Bridge. Going out toward Lands End there were coastal gun emplacements in
WW2. I fish salmon just north of there during the summer.

Back in the day when I was a reporter/feature writer for the KC Star, I
drew the assignment of going out to the AF Academy to write a series of
articles on KC-MO-KS students. The Star was very friendly with the
military establishment in those days. I was flown out in a two seat jet
trainer, a T30-something or other, and it was a cool and what thought was
a pretty fast flight. That plane was not available a week later, so the
AF flew me back on a DC-3. That was fun, too, but it took a lot longer.
Both planes were very noisy, and the DC-3 had lots of rattles.

When I went to basic, from Dallas to San Antonio, I rode a Trans Texas
Airways DC-3. With the cutest stewardess, I ever saw. Fuselage shook left
to right, and front to back, and the wings shook up and down. But kept
flying. They were the original Puff gun ships.

Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:33:18 -0500, wrote:

I got the offer several times to go on a sight seeing
ride but we never got around to it. It wasn't really that high on my
bucket list.

===

There's nothing like it on a nice day. The views of the water and
beaches are just spectacular.

One of my great airplane rides was on a Douglas C-117 back in about 1966.
From Ogden, UT to the airbase in Novato, Ca. Is a DC-3 variant and we had
[...]

Might've been the same plane I flew from into Lawton, OK (Ft. Sill), way back when!
--

Guns don't cause problems. The behavior
of certain gun owners causes problems.

For the RC, feet on the ground pilots.. Mr. Luddite General 9 March 18th 14 09:34 PM
Bush admin. overpaid banks in HIS bailout. [email protected] General 14 February 7th 09 12:50 PM
Auto pilots Cameron Starr General 2 January 4th 07 08:37 PM
Navy announces new Kerry Class aircraft carrier! Larry W4CSC Cruising 0 June 3rd 04 02:17 AM