Default Moving the boat...

The Columbia is navigable. Don't know where your boat is but tri
cities down is fine. Might have to reef in the gorge tho.!
The Pacific coast can be tough. Not many good hideyholes. Most
harbors have bars to cross. Best to go 150 miles out and head south.
As for trucking, check with a freight forwarding company. Neighbor
saver a bundle that way on a used life raft.
Also, craigslist has ads occasionally.

As for the Sail-It option:

I was told by the people at the marina up there that the Columbia River
is navigable (via locks) all the way to the Pacific (Astoria, Oregon).
But I haven't been able to confirm that yet.
I haven't got the charts yet.
I was hoping someone here on the list might know?

I have the time to sail it around.
But not that much blue water experience.
I've been out in the Gulf a few times is all.
This would be - by far - my longest voyage so far.

But then - that was the idea after all - go cruise for a while...

Well, we'll know more in just a few weeks.

"cavalamb himself" wrote in message
I've never done this before, so I feel pretty clewless (clueless for
lubbers).

Has anybody had to move a fairly big boat overland?

I need to move a Hunter 38 - in Washington state,
down to Houston (texas).

I've googled up some boat movers - but -

what to look for?
what to watch out for?

What extra expenses to plan on?

Is there a better way?

There isn't really... the west coast, as others have said, or maybe it was
you, can be a bummer in the wrong conditions. On the other hand, you'll be
headed south, and if you pick your weather window properly, getting her to
SF or SD shouldn't be a big deal. The rest of the trip is long also of
course, and there are weather issues beyond Mexico, but the weather (with a
good window) would be fine. I took a slightly large boat from SF to Cabo
following the Baha-Haha a number of years ago (they leave
late-Oct/early-Nov), and we didn't even get a light rain until the last
night. The weather was perfect and we made a steady 5kts VMG day in and day
out. Of course, if you're at all in a rush, then overland is better time and
logistically speaking.

If you decide to sail her, let me know. I'd possibly be interested in
hitching a ride.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 2008-02-08 03:02:13 -0500, RichH said:

Is there a better way?

Sail it around if you have the time. Or sail it to So. Cal and truck
from there ... less *total* $$$ per mile charges.

I'm all for sailing a sailboat, but I gotta say that some movements are
more suited to overland than mucking about on the water.

The original poster strikes both of us as a newbie, NOT someone I would
comfortably recommend sailing from WA to anywhere, as that coast isn't
friendly. And it doesn't get much better for a newbie anywhere along the
path to TX.

Thus, I'd say the proper path in this case is trucking it overland.

For full disclosure, I've been considering the possibility of "trucking"
our boat to the BVI on a freighter or "float-on transporter", then
drifting downwind as we discovered the eastern Caribbean. The cost of
getting to the BVI upwind on her own keel is likely considerably greater,
and a possible relationship-breaker. We can do downwind without even
breathing hard.

I've enjoyed the the "do it" club, but have found that the "enjoy it"
club is a lot more fun.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

mmm BVI!
My buddy sent me an e-mail to check out the Saba Rock webcam. His boat is
supposed to be moored just off the Freedom Yachts slips not too far from
the Bitter End yacht Club.

Damn... nice spot...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"cavalamb himself" wrote:

I've never done this before, so I feel pretty clewless (clueless for
lubbers).

Has anybody had to move a fairly big boat overland?

I need to move a Hunter 38 - in Washington state,
down to Houston (texas).

I've googled up some boat movers - but -

what to look for?
what to watch out for?

What extra expenses to plan on?

Is there a better way?

Just went thru an exercise of getting quotes on moving a large boat.

Based on that experience, would give serious consideration to either
selling existing boat "where is, as is" and buying replacement in
Texas, or shipping by water since boat is less than 40 ft.

Shipping overland will be probably big$, compared to other options,
IMHO.

Lew

Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 8, 12:40*am, cavalamb himself wrote:
I've never done this before, so I feel pretty clewless (clueless for
lubbers).

Has anybody had to move a fairly big boat overland?

I need to move a Hunter 38 - in Washington state,
down to Houston (texas).

I've googled up some boat movers - but -

what to look for?
what to watch out for?

What extra expenses to plan on?

Is there a better way?

Let me know what you find out on trucking rates and size restrictions
please. I've got my eye on a 47 ft steel hull in that general area. I
know I'd have to cut off the wheelhouse but that's easy enough. I'm
interested in height restrictions more than anything.

I do like the ideal of sailing south to somewhere like San Diego then
putting it on a truck to Houston. Where are you going to keep it here
in Houston?

Joe

Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 07:47:14 -0800, cavalamb himself
wrote:

Auntie is ok with it - so we are patiently waiting (on pins and needles)
for 90 days to pass. That will be the end of next month.

A free 38 footer in good condition is definitely worth the trucking
expense anywhere in the US.

On the other hand 12K will go a *long* way toward refitting, and Puget
Sound is probably the best sheltered cruising area in the world. The
perfect place to get your feet wet, if not cruise steady for a year or
two *then* find the perfect time to take it out in the ocean, if you
still want to.

I'd recommend getting a hull and engine survey before accepting it
however. You'll probably need it for insurance anyway, and might keep
you from inheriting (and trucking) a white elephant.

If you find a good surveyor, it will also give you a good start on the
most pressing jobs needing done even if you aren't able to insure the boat.

Stephen
Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 8, 8:30*am, Gordon wrote:
* *The Columbia is navigable. Don't know where your boat is but tri
cities down is fine.

There is a sailing club near Tri-Cities AKA Kennewick-Pasco-Richland.
Ive talked to few and they are good people. SOme are ex curisers. Most
likley you wont get a google hit if you use TriCities. Search each
city by name.

Ive "sailed" the Columbia River from Astoria to RM 320 just below
Pasco, WA. i think 4-5 RTs. The river is fun depending where the wind
is. Blowing 30 mph gusting to 40mps on the nose is no fun. I think I
avaraged 0.3 to 0.5K over the ground one 8 hour leg.

The big problem are the LOCKS and when I say L O C K S I mean
terrifying at times. if you have a keel your boat will SLAM into the
concrete wall and your toe rail will lodge in a crack as you go up.
email me for all full deatils. NOt at all like the cute little three
fold broucure the Corps puts out. Then there are lock schedules a few
times each day. It changes seasonally so get the latest info. It wont
be in the printed COast Pilot No 8.

SO why bother sailing an unkown boat with limmited skills along one of
the most dangerous streaches of the pacific? THey dont call it the
Grave Yard of the Pacific for nutin.

* *The Pacific coast can be tough. Not many good hideyholes. Most
harbors have bars to cross. Best to go 150 miles out and head south.

This is excellent advice! ! ! there aitn nuthing from Neha Bay, WA
untill Grays Harbor. Its a long 18 hour motor south in good weather
20-30K NW seas 12'-18' . You'll get there in the dark. ANd pray you
dont run over the 1000s of dungeness crab pot lines/bouys. That would
ruin your motor/sail down

* *As for trucking, check with a freight forwarding company. Neighbor
saver a bundle that way on a used life raft.

MOre EXCELLENT advice above.......

Bob
Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 7, 10:40*pm, cavalamb himself wrote:

Hi:

These guys know about the way upper Columbia River. But Id just truck
it if it was my boat. Youre in for a long hard sail IF you make it at
all. ........alive

Walla Walla Yacht Club
Address: Walla Walla Yacht Club, Inc.
PO Box 1223
Walla Walla, Washington 99362
Phone: 509-547-4946

I dont know if the numbers are current. They are a pretty causual
group.
Bob
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 8, 8:41*pm, cavalamb himself wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

Golly Joe, I haven't had a chance to even look yet.

Do you have any recommendations?

Other than dinging the net for marinas in the area,
which returned more choices that I can possibly run down.
Dorothy says Corpus is "out" - dunno why but won't argue.

I'm leaning towards the Seabrook area.
Clear Lake was a lot more interesting when all we had to consider
was the C-18. *3 foot draft verses 5 feet.
But it seems Clear Lake gets kinda think at times.

Richard- Hide quoted text -

What do you want, and what do you want to pay?

Joe