Bob Bob is offline

Default Moving the boat...

On Feb 8, 8:30*am, Gordon wrote:
* *The Columbia is navigable. Don't know where your boat is but tri
cities down is fine.

There is a sailing club near Tri-Cities AKA Kennewick-Pasco-Richland.
Ive talked to few and they are good people. SOme are ex curisers. Most
likley you wont get a google hit if you use TriCities. Search each
city by name.

Ive "sailed" the Columbia River from Astoria to RM 320 just below
Pasco, WA. i think 4-5 RTs. The river is fun depending where the wind
is. Blowing 30 mph gusting to 40mps on the nose is no fun. I think I
avaraged 0.3 to 0.5K over the ground one 8 hour leg.

The big problem are the LOCKS and when I say L O C K S I mean
terrifying at times. if you have a keel your boat will SLAM into the
concrete wall and your toe rail will lodge in a crack as you go up.
email me for all full deatils. NOt at all like the cute little three
fold broucure the Corps puts out. Then there are lock schedules a few
times each day. It changes seasonally so get the latest info. It wont
be in the printed COast Pilot No 8.

SO why bother sailing an unkown boat with limmited skills along one of
the most dangerous streaches of the pacific? THey dont call it the
Grave Yard of the Pacific for nutin.

* *The Pacific coast can be tough. Not many good hideyholes. Most
harbors have bars to cross. Best to go 150 miles out and head south.

This is excellent advice! ! ! there aitn nuthing from Neha Bay, WA
untill Grays Harbor. Its a long 18 hour motor south in good weather
20-30K NW seas 12'-18' . You'll get there in the dark. ANd pray you
dont run over the 1000s of dungeness crab pot lines/bouys. That would
ruin your motor/sail down

* *As for trucking, check with a freight forwarding company. Neighbor
saver a bundle that way on a used life raft.

MOre EXCELLENT advice above.......

Bob