Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Moving the boat...

"cavalamb himself" wrote in message
I've never done this before, so I feel pretty clewless (clueless for
lubbers).

Has anybody had to move a fairly big boat overland?

I need to move a Hunter 38 - in Washington state,
down to Houston (texas).

I've googled up some boat movers - but -

what to look for?
what to watch out for?

What extra expenses to plan on?

Is there a better way?

There isn't really... the west coast, as others have said, or maybe it was
you, can be a bummer in the wrong conditions. On the other hand, you'll be
headed south, and if you pick your weather window properly, getting her to
SF or SD shouldn't be a big deal. The rest of the trip is long also of
course, and there are weather issues beyond Mexico, but the weather (with a
good window) would be fine. I took a slightly large boat from SF to Cabo
following the Baha-Haha a number of years ago (they leave
late-Oct/early-Nov), and we didn't even get a light rain until the last
night. The weather was perfect and we made a steady 5kts VMG day in and day
out. Of course, if you're at all in a rush, then overland is better time and
logistically speaking.

If you decide to sail her, let me know. I'd possibly be interested in
hitching a ride.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com