Joe Joe is offline

Default Moving the boat...

On Feb 8, 8:41*pm, cavalamb himself wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Feb 8, 12:40 am, cavalamb himself wrote:

I've never done this before, so I feel pretty clewless (clueless for
lubbers).

Has anybody had to move a fairly big boat overland?

I need to move a Hunter 38 - in Washington state,
down to Houston (texas).

I've googled up some boat movers - but -

what to look for?
what to watch out for?

What extra expenses to plan on?

Is there a better way?

Let me know what you find out on trucking rates and size restrictions
please. I've got my eye on a 47 ft steel hull in that general area. I
know I'd have to cut off the wheelhouse but that's easy enough. I'm
interested in height restrictions more than anything.

*I do like the ideal of sailing south to somewhere like San Diego then
putting it on a truck to Houston. Where are you going to keep it here
in Houston?

Joe

Golly Joe, I haven't had a chance to even look yet.

Do you have any recommendations?

Other than dinging the net for marinas in the area,
which returned more choices that I can possibly run down.
Dorothy says Corpus is "out" - dunno why but won't argue.

I'm leaning towards the Seabrook area.
Clear Lake was a lot more interesting when all we had to consider
was the C-18. *3 foot draft verses 5 feet.
But it seems Clear Lake gets kinda think at times.

Richard- Hide quoted text -

What do you want, and what do you want to pay?

Joe