Default Moving the boat...

I've never done this before, so I feel pretty clewless (clueless for
lubbers).

Has anybody had to move a fairly big boat overland?

I need to move a Hunter 38 - in Washington state,
down to Houston (texas).

I've googled up some boat movers - but -

what to look for?
what to watch out for?

What extra expenses to plan on?

Is there a better way?

On Feb 8, 1:40*am, cavalamb himself wrote:
I've never done this before, so I feel pretty clewless (clueless for
lubbers).

Has anybody had to move a fairly big boat overland?

I need to move a Hunter 38 - in Washington state,
down to Houston (texas).

I've googled up some boat movers - but -

what to look for?

Maximum height and width - varies by trailer configuration .... if
oversize (as it sits on a trailer) may cost double If an escort
vehicle (with 'pole') has to be used ... sometimes you have to remove
bow pulpits, etc. to be less than the 'on the trailer' required
clearances. The clearances arent usually a problem when on Interstate
Highways .... its all the damn small roads at the origin and the
destination that have the most clearance restrictions, etc.

what to watch out for?

Reputation of the carrier, that the 'carrier' doesnt 'sub-let' to
other carriers, insurance - yours and theirs.

What extra expenses to plan on?

hauling, mast removal and prep. including 'complete winterizing' ..
especially if the route is going 'high' through the mountains. Prep
includes mast mounting/bubble-wrapping to the trailer (yard charges)
so the transport doesnt rub the anodizing off the mast, sealing the
boat from road grime (at windspeeds of 70+mph for days on end), etc.
etc.

Is there a better way? Sail it around if you have the time. Or sail it to So. Cal and truck from there ... less *total* $$$ per mile charges.

On 2008-02-08 03:02:13 -0500, RichH said:

Is there a better way?

Sail it around if you have the time. Or sail it to So. Cal and truck
from there ... less *total* $$$ per mile charges.

I'm all for sailing a sailboat, but I gotta say that some movements are
more suited to overland than mucking about on the water.

The original poster strikes both of us as a newbie, NOT someone I would
comfortably recommend sailing from WA to anywhere, as that coast isn't
friendly. And it doesn't get much better for a newbie anywhere along
the path to TX.

Thus, I'd say the proper path in this case is trucking it overland.

For full disclosure, I've been considering the possibility of
"trucking" our boat to the BVI on a freighter or "float-on
transporter", then drifting downwind as we discovered the eastern
Caribbean. The cost of getting to the BVI upwind on her own keel is
likely considerably greater, and a possible relationship-breaker. We
can do downwind without even breathing hard.

I've enjoyed the the "do it" club, but have found that the "enjoy it"
club is a lot more fun.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

RichH wrote:
On Feb 8, 1:40 am, cavalamb himself wrote:

I've never done this before, so I feel pretty clewless (clueless for
lubbers).

Has anybody had to move a fairly big boat overland?

I need to move a Hunter 38 - in Washington state,
down to Houston (texas).

I've googled up some boat movers - but -

what to look for?

Maximum height and width - varies by trailer configuration .... if
oversize (as it sits on a trailer) may cost double If an escort
vehicle (with 'pole') has to be used ... sometimes you have to remove
bow pulpits, etc. to be less than the 'on the trailer' required
clearances. The clearances arent usually a problem when on Interstate
Highways .... its all the damn small roads at the origin and the
destination that have the most clearance restrictions, etc.

Beam is easy - 12'11"

18,000 pounds displacement.

The mast is probably about 50 feet long!?!

Height - I'd have to guesstimate - 5' draft + 6'6 headroom + ?
probably 15 or 16 feet from bottom of keel to the top of the arch.
Add 3 or 4 feet for the trailer and we are looking at nearly 20 feet height!

Well, Hunter shipped the thing up here (from Florida!) some how!

what to watch out for?

Reputation of the carrier, that the 'carrier' doesnt 'sub-let' to
other carriers, insurance - yours and theirs.

Didn't know about the sub-let question.
Thanks, Rich.

What extra expenses to plan on?

hauling, mast removal and prep. including 'complete winterizing' ..
especially if the route is going 'high' through the mountains. Prep
includes mast mounting/bubble-wrapping to the trailer (yard charges)
so the transport doesnt rub the anodizing off the mast, sealing the
boat from road grime (at windspeeds of 70+mph for days on end), etc.
etc.

Is there a better way?

Sail it around if you have the time.

Or sail it to So. Cal and truck from there ... less *total* $$$ per mile
charges.
That looks like about 1500 miles straight across verses 2300 from
Washington. But all the other fixed expenses would still apply.

As for the Sail-It option:

I was told by the people at the marina up there that the Columbia River
is navigable (via locks) all the way to the Pacific (Astoria, Oregon).
But I haven't been able to confirm that yet.
I haven't got the charts yet.
I was hoping someone here on the list might know?

I have the time to sail it around.
But not that much blue water experience.
I've been out in the Gulf a few times is all.
This would be - by far - my longest voyage so far.

But then - that was the idea after all - go cruise for a while...

Well, we'll know more in just a few weeks.
No Name

On 2008-02-08 03:02:13 -0500, RichH said:

Is there a better way?

[...]

Copy all, Jere.

I may have missed some details.
In what condition is this sailboat? Have you figured how much money is
required to fix this boat if needed.
Can you get insurance coverage without a survey?
As for land transport I would check for a roll back quote.
Every year Canadian are buying new and used boat in the states.
Many times Canadian carriers (licensed and insured) have to go in the US
empty to bring back sailboats.
They are more than happy to stop for a pick up on their way to their
destination.
You have to work with the carriers well in advance so they can plan their
schedules.
You should get at least three quotes.

On 2008-02-08 03:02:13 -0500, RichH said:

Is there a better way?

[...]

mmm BVI!
My buddy sent me an e-mail to check out the Saba Rock webcam. His boat is
supposed to be moored just off the Freedom Yachts slips not too far from
the Bitter End yacht Club.

Roger Long wrote:
I would agree.

Trucking "Strider" from Detroit to Maine was one of the best decisions I
ever made about the boat. I would have had to make the trip in a few
stages. By the time I totaled up the cost of airfare (crew and myself),
fuel, food, etc. the truck didn't cost "much" more (we're talking boat bucks
here). As it turned out, I would have spent huge amounts of time jury
rigging and fixing things that were much more easily dealt with in my home
town shipyard and full support. The time delays that would have occured on
the trip would have tipped the cost balance far in favor of the truck. Save
your long trips for a debugged boat you know well.

The move was painless. I met the guy in a parking lot and gave him three
grand in cash. He came highly recommended but I was a bit nervous that
there might be security cameras around and the police would want to discuss
the possibility of a dope deal with me

A week later, the boat was sitting on her jackstands in the yard.

--
Roger Long

I'm glad to hear you guys say that, Roger and Jere.
It's very much in line with my thinking as well.

I was actually kind of hesitant about even broaching the subject here
(what with the bravado some of our favorite posters provide).

I'd be happy to shove off from Galveston for the islands now.
My home waters that I've sailed a few times before.

But the California coast all the way to the Ditch is a whole 'nother
deal entirely. I've got nothing to prove - and a lot to learn before
I'll feel ready for that one.

So...
It's looking something around $6000 for transport plus the extra costs
of yard work and prep. Probably in the 10k to 12k range total?

It's a strange story, I guess.
Dorothy has taken to sailing enthusiastically.
We've been looking at larger boats with the intent of coastal crusing
in the Gulf for a while.

But mostly the ones that I can afford are older Catalinas. Pearsons,
etc. Well, the best boat in the world is the one you are sailing!

Then this comes along.
This boat belonged to D's uncle - who passed away recently.
None of his kids are interested in it. Cash and cars? Yeah!
But the sailboats? Get real!

So she asked for it.
Auntie is ok with it - so we are patiently waiting (on pins and needles)
for 90 days to pass. That will be the end of next month.

The question now is, if we actually get the boat, how do we do it?
Move the boat down here?
Or move us up there?

Either way, if it happens - life is going to change...

Richard

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 07:47:14 -0800, cavalamb himself
wrote:

Auntie is ok with it - so we are patiently waiting (on pins and needles)
for 90 days to pass. That will be the end of next month.

A free 38 footer in good condition is definitely worth the trucking
expense anywhere in the US.

I'd recommend getting a hull and engine survey before accepting it
however. You'll probably need it for insurance anyway, and might keep
you from inheriting (and trucking) a white elephant.

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 05:32:24 -0800, cavalamb himself
wrote:

I have the time to sail it around.
But not that much blue water experience.
I've been out in the Gulf a few times is all.

Trucking has a lot to recommend it, even for the experienced. For the
inexperienced it is no choice at all.