cavalamb himself cavalamb himself is offline

Default Moving the boat...

Roger Long wrote:
I would agree.

Trucking "Strider" from Detroit to Maine was one of the best decisions I
ever made about the boat. I would have had to make the trip in a few
stages. By the time I totaled up the cost of airfare (crew and myself),
fuel, food, etc. the truck didn't cost "much" more (we're talking boat bucks
here). As it turned out, I would have spent huge amounts of time jury
rigging and fixing things that were much more easily dealt with in my home
town shipyard and full support. The time delays that would have occured on
the trip would have tipped the cost balance far in favor of the truck. Save
your long trips for a debugged boat you know well.

The move was painless. I met the guy in a parking lot and gave him three
grand in cash. He came highly recommended but I was a bit nervous that
there might be security cameras around and the police would want to discuss
the possibility of a dope deal with me

A week later, the boat was sitting on her jackstands in the yard.

--
Roger Long

I'm glad to hear you guys say that, Roger and Jere.
It's very much in line with my thinking as well.

I was actually kind of hesitant about even broaching the subject here
(what with the bravado some of our favorite posters provide).

I'd be happy to shove off from Galveston for the islands now.
My home waters that I've sailed a few times before.

But the California coast all the way to the Ditch is a whole 'nother
deal entirely. I've got nothing to prove - and a lot to learn before
I'll feel ready for that one.

So...
It's looking something around $6000 for transport plus the extra costs
of yard work and prep. Probably in the 10k to 12k range total?

It's a strange story, I guess.
Dorothy has taken to sailing enthusiastically.
We've been looking at larger boats with the intent of coastal crusing
in the Gulf for a while.

But mostly the ones that I can afford are older Catalinas. Pearsons,
etc. Well, the best boat in the world is the one you are sailing!

Then this comes along.
This boat belonged to D's uncle - who passed away recently.
None of his kids are interested in it. Cash and cars? Yeah!
But the sailboats? Get real!

So she asked for it.
Auntie is ok with it - so we are patiently waiting (on pins and needles)
for 90 days to pass. That will be the end of next month.

The question now is, if we actually get the boat, how do we do it?
Move the boat down here?
Or move us up there?

Either way, if it happens - life is going to change...

Richard