BSCHNAUTZ

Default Moving fiberglass boat in Zero temps

hey, it's about 30 degrees F. here, and pretty soon I'll hafve to move my 17
ft. Fiberglass I/O to a new location. and by that time, it will be well around
0 f.

When it's that cold, do I have a chance of temperature cracking or doing other
damage to the hull? The boat is on an EZ-Load roller trailer, and I'll be
moving it about 6 mi. over a horrible, but yet, not-so-smooth pavement.

If there is danger of stress, are there any precautions I can and should take?
THANKS!

Tim
JAXAshby

people have been doing it in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Manitoba, Ontario
and Quebec for more than sixty years. The last time I heard any claim such
_could_ be a problem was back in the late 50's, and then the guy making the
claim was a guy who sold aluminum fishing boats.

hey, it's about 30 degrees F. here, and pretty soon I'll hafve to move my 17
ft. Fiberglass I/O to a new location. and by that time, it will be well
around
0 f.

When it's that cold, do I have a chance of temperature cracking or doing
other
damage to the hull? The boat is on an EZ-Load roller trailer, and I'll be
moving it about 6 mi. over a horrible, but yet, not-so-smooth pavement.

If there is danger of stress, are there any precautions I can and should
take?
THANKS!

Tim

Rich Hampel

Unless the hull has preexisting structural or design flaws you should
have no problem. Most materials get 'stronger' at lower temperatures.

The ski patrols of the world have been using fiberglass rescue
toboggans since the mid 60s without any noticable problems from the
(extreme) cold.

In article , BSCHNAUTZ
wrote:

hey, it's about 30 degrees F. here, and pretty soon I'll hafve to move my 17
ft. Fiberglass I/O to a new location. and by that time, it will be well around
0 f.

When it's that cold, do I have a chance of temperature cracking or doing other
damage to the hull? The boat is on an EZ-Load roller trailer, and I'll be
moving it about 6 mi. over a horrible, but yet, not-so-smooth pavement.

If there is danger of stress, are there any precautions I can and should take?
THANKS!

Tim

Eric Currier

Don't forget most snowmobiles have fiberglass cowlings on them, they take a
beating in very cold weather and the cowlings hold up great (as long as you
miss the trees).
I think the old story about the Corvettes getting bumped in cold weather and
the body turning to dust is one for Mythbusters.

Eric

wrote:

hey, it's about 30 degrees F. here, and pretty soon I'll hafve to move

my 17
ft. Fiberglass I/O to a new location. and by that time, it will be well

around
0 f.

When it's that cold, do I have a chance of temperature cracking or doing

other
damage to the hull? The boat is on an EZ-Load roller trailer, and I'll

be
moving it about 6 mi. over a horrible, but yet, not-so-smooth pavement.

If there is danger of stress, are there any precautions I can and should

take?
THANKS!

Tim

BSCHNAUTZ

The last time I heard any claim such
_could_ be a problem was back in the late 50's, and then the guy making the
claim was a guy who sold aluminum fishing boats.

Thanks guys. that makes alot of sense to me. yeah...I forgot the corvette
story. LOL!

I really didn't know if stuff would get brittle or not. But that makes sense
that the CG and others use Fiberglass in all types of weather.

Tim

Tim

Thanks for all the replies.

After watching people move their fiberglass fishing boats up an down
the highway hitting every bump they could find at 10 degrees, I
figured it would be ok.

Thanks again!

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
What was it like 4 U Joe ASA 264 December 28th 04 11:26 PM