Default Moving the boat...

On 2008-02-10 13:19:26 -0500, "Capt. JG" said:

No responsible captain would leave port on a yacht that isn't prepared
properly.

Yet delivery skippers do it all too often.

How would compare the number of idiots who take off by themselves with
no prep and with an unsurveyed boat vs. the number of delivery captains
who do that?

Percentage-wise, I would say there are more "Captain Ron" delivery
captains, and even the ones who *do* try to inspect and prep the boat
all too often get "bit".

Remember, they're doing deliveries that the owners passed on AND
they're doing them on tight schedules, so naturally push the limits.

Truthfully, how long would a delivery captain sit in port inspecting
and hopefully sea-trialing a boat? How many pass up a delivery? How
many set out in boats they're not all that certain about?

I don't know the answers to the questions, but have too many
experienced friends who "helped" on deliveries that went sour.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On 2008-02-10 13:19:26 -0500, "Capt. JG" said:

[...]

Well, I don't know the raw numbers either, but I've certainly passed up
deliveries because I was uncertain about the boat (or the owner). I've also
sat in port fixing a boat that was not seaworthy initially. I don't give a
rat's ass about tight schedules, because I have no intention of going down
with the ship to try and satisfy some arbitrary schedule of someone who
doesn't have a clew about offshore requirements.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

snipped

I found an apartment complex there that has their own docks.
I think it was Harbor Pointe on NASA 1
Now that would be sweet having the boat right at the front door.

Might give then a call tomorrow.

To shallow and the docks to small for anything over 30ft IMO.

Sorry, I was thinking about a place to dock the 18.
That woulf be a great knock about on Clear Lake.

It can be docked on the trailer, but that makes sailing it more
hassle than it's worth.

But I'd hate to part with her.

BTW, I meant to ask about something I thought I read about your
experience with USCG.

I thought I read that they wouldn't take just the injured crew member,
and isnsited on taking everybody off.

Did I misread that?

Richard- Hide quoted text -

No you did not miss read that. "All or None".

That seems a little high handed.

"We'll rescue the injured person - but it will cost you the boat"?
Is that normal

Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 12, 2:01*am, cavalamb himself wrote:
[...]

I guess. We tried 3 commerical tow companies then requested a tow
from Houston after we lost steering, none would come and provide a
tow. I was told the the USCG Heron was dispached then turned around in
favor of a Helo. I guess I could get an offical report from the USCG
to try to figure offical policy on tows if one exists. But way second
guess anything? Learn and move on.

Joe

Joe wrote:

[...]

I have to admire your fortitude, but