RichH RichH is offline

Default Moving the boat...

On Feb 8, 1:40*am, cavalamb himself wrote:
I've never done this before, so I feel pretty clewless (clueless for
lubbers).

Has anybody had to move a fairly big boat overland?

I need to move a Hunter 38 - in Washington state,
down to Houston (texas).

I've googled up some boat movers - but -

what to look for?

Maximum height and width - varies by trailer configuration .... if
oversize (as it sits on a trailer) may cost double If an escort
vehicle (with 'pole') has to be used ... sometimes you have to remove
bow pulpits, etc. to be less than the 'on the trailer' required
clearances. The clearances arent usually a problem when on Interstate
Highways .... its all the damn small roads at the origin and the
destination that have the most clearance restrictions, etc.

what to watch out for?

Reputation of the carrier, that the 'carrier' doesnt 'sub-let' to
other carriers, insurance - yours and theirs.

What extra expenses to plan on?

hauling, mast removal and prep. including 'complete winterizing' ..
especially if the route is going 'high' through the mountains. Prep
includes mast mounting/bubble-wrapping to the trailer (yard charges)
so the transport doesnt rub the anodizing off the mast, sealing the
boat from road grime (at windspeeds of 70+mph for days on end), etc.
etc.

Is there a better way? Sail it around if you have the time. Or sail it to So. Cal and truck from there ... less *total* $$$ per mile charges.