Jere Lull

Default Fuel transfer/polishing pump

LaBomba182 wrote:

Subject: Fuel transfer/polishing pump
From: Jere Lull

You don't want too fine a filter on the suction side. On Yanmars (and
others), the lift pump can fail sooner due to the restriction.

My point is if you use a large surface area small micron filter and change it
regularly, you should never see high suction pressures.

If you do both, it's better, of course. We balance cost in there
someplace, of course. I figure a new 30-micron filter will have one
third (or 1/9th?) the resistance, switching up to a 900 would only
(about) halve it. When there's a bit of dirt, though, the 30 micron
filter will clog less while still protecting the lift pump.

The idea
is to do the cleaning in stages: 30 micron before the lift pump, 10
micron just before the high pressure pump. That said, we used 10 micron
Racor elements for 8-9 seasons and 1000 hours with no significant ill
effects except when we got a shot of algae.

8-9 years without changing the element! Your perpetuating a stereo type Jere.
:-)

You're right, that wasn't entirely clear. We change the filters each
spring as cheap insurance. I haven't noticed any discoloration in the
primary filter or bowl except when I brushed the Racor during the algae
incident, and that could well have been my mishandling.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:

LaBomba182

From: "Doug Dotson"

The memo from Yanmar (via Mack Boring) didn't make any distinction
on type of filter. Just the porosity on the element. Perhaps it was a CYA
move to specify anything smaller than 30 uM.

If that's the case, then you have to do what they say.
At least until the warranty runs out. :-)

Capt. Bill
LaBomba182

LaBomba182

From: "Doug Dotson"

Huh? Bubbling up fuel? It helps it as much as drawing the fuel from
one baffled area into the engine. Better to draw it into a polishing
system for a while.

But unless the fuel is shaken up real well most of the crud is still at the
bottom of each baffled area in a nice little mound.

Capt. Bill
LaBomba182

LaBomba182

From: "Len Krauss"

No offense -- but have you?

Yes, many times.

They're are not solid top to bottom as you seem
to suggest.

Never suggested that.
I assumed it was understood that there would have to be a way for the fuel to
travel from one baffled area to the next.

The plate bottoms, in particular, usually have tunnels.

More like notches.

Capt. Bill