Jere Lull

Default Fuel transfer/polishing pump

LaBomba182 wrote:

Subject: Fuel transfer/polishing pump
From: Jere Lull

You don't want too fine a filter on the suction side. On Yanmars (and
others), the lift pump can fail sooner due to the restriction.

My point is if you use a large surface area small micron filter and change it
regularly, you should never see high suction pressures.

If you do both, it's better, of course. We balance cost in there
someplace, of course. I figure a new 30-micron filter will have one
third (or 1/9th?) the resistance, switching up to a 900 would only
(about) halve it. When there's a bit of dirt, though, the 30 micron
filter will clog less while still protecting the lift pump.

The idea
is to do the cleaning in stages: 30 micron before the lift pump, 10
micron just before the high pressure pump. That said, we used 10 micron
Racor elements for 8-9 seasons and 1000 hours with no significant ill
effects except when we got a shot of algae.

8-9 years without changing the element! Your perpetuating a stereo type Jere.
:-)

You're right, that wasn't entirely clear. We change the filters each
spring as cheap insurance. I haven't noticed any discoloration in the
primary filter or bowl except when I brushed the Racor during the algae
incident, and that could well have been my mishandling.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: