LaBomba182

Default Fuel transfer/polishing pump

Subject: Fuel transfer/polishing pump
From: "Doug Dotson"

I don't think mine is a well built marine fuel tank. But is what I have.
I'll know more when I open it up this winter an peer inside.

Let us know what you find.

Capt. Bill
LaBomba182

From: "Len Krauss"

No offense -- but have you?

Yes.

They're are not solid top to bottom as you seem
to suggest.

No I didn't.

The plate bottoms, in particular, usually have tunnels.

That's my point. It takes much more aggressive agitation than "bubbling" in one
baffled area to get the fuel stirred up and moving through your "tunnels".

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182

LaBomba182

From: "Doug Dotson"

They have to, and there is usually a hole through the baffles at the
lowest point of each baffle.

Have to what?

Capt. Bill
LaBomba182

Rich Hampel

Two kinds of water in fuel oil ..... free water (gravity drains to
lowest portion of system) water/oil emulsion (stays in the fluid as a
suspension and doesnt settle quickly.
Rich Hampel

Two kinds of water in fuel oil ..... free water (gravity drains to
lowest portion of system) water/oil emulsion (stays in the fluid as a
suspension and doesnt settle quickly.
Doug Dotson

The memo from Yanmar (via Mack Boring) didn't make any distinction
on type of filter. Just the porosity on the element. Perhaps it was a CYA
move to specify anything smaller than 30 uM.

Doug

From: "Doug Dotson"

Because small filters ahead of the lift pump stress the pump and cause
premature failure. No fun.

Not if you run a large enough (as in surface area) filter and change it
regularly. At 1 - 5 gph through a Racor 900 I don't see how you could over
stress a well built lift pump.

Capt. Bill