Doug Dotson

Default Fuel transfer/polishing pump

Not sure that matters much. If the fuel can negoatiate the baffles
then I suspect the crud can as well. Hence the problem. Once the
fuel is shaken not stirred

Doug

Subject: Fuel transfer/polishing pump
From: "Len Krauss"

That works.

Only if your tank has no baffels.

Capt. Bill

Doug Dotson

I don't think mine is a well built marine fuel tank. But is what I have.
I'll know more when I open it up this winter an peer inside.

From: "Len Krauss"

As for stirring up the crud, one guy told me he shoots a jet of air

around
the bottom of his tanks. Has a small L-shaped copper tube on an air hose,
and with it tied to a dowel/rod pushes it to bottom and "aims" it around.
He'll them sometimes just let the thing bubble away while polishing to

help
keep particulate matter in suspension.

But he is only stirring up one baffeled area in the tank unless he has

access
plates to each area.

No offense, but how many of you have actually seen the insides of a well

built
marine fuel tank?

Capt. Bill

Jere Lull

From: "Doug Dotson"

Makes sense, but there is quite alot of evidence out there that
a polishing system is a good thing to have. I can't really
increase the size of my on-engine filter. I could increase the
size of the Raycor, but at the pore sizes I run (30 micron) in it make it
necessary to change the on-engine filter regularly as well.
Bigger Raycor won't fix the problem.

What's the GPH on your engine?

If you go to a larger Racor you could easily change to a smaller micron
element. It fact, I have never understood why people don't run as small a
micron element as they can in the first filter after the fuel tank. Why let
anything near the micron size of the engine mounted filter get to that filter
at all?

Capt. Bill

You don't want too fine a filter on the suction side. On Yanmars (and
others), the lift pump can fail sooner due to the restriction. The idea
is to do the cleaning in stages: 30 micron before the lift pump, 10
micron just before the high pressure pump. That said, we used 10 micron
Racor elements for 8-9 seasons and 1000 hours with no significant ill
effects except when we got a shot of algae. The on-engine filter never
had any significant dirt on it (or in the bowl). That didn't change much
when we went to 30 microns, as it happens.

Note: We were able to limp home when the last filter on board clogged up
during the algae incident: Pulled the filter and gently brushed junk off
of the surface, and drained and cleaned the bowl (again). For a couple
of hours, we could only pull half revs, but the fuel cleaned up nicely
at reduced flow and (after draining the dead bodies from the bowl again)
we had full power for the rest of the season.

--
Jere Lull

Jere Lull

Rufus

Ah. And I do believe you're right. Looks like I've started to equate all
petros in my old age....

Rufus

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

I believe that was for OIL not diesel.

Rufus wrote:

About 4 years ago there was a couple guys on the group who managed

Rich Hampel

At Trawlersfest I had two lengthy discussions with paper towel filter
advocates. Their
theory is that the random oriented strands of the paper towel can trap any
size particle,
down to sub-micron, instead of acting like a sieve to pass through anything
below a given
size (they like to avoid mentioning that the "sieve" stops anything above
it's rated
size).

Next time you get into this type of discussion, ask them how the fibers
are held together so that they dont release particles under increasing
differential pressure. You need a resin to hold the fibers together.
Then ask them how much particulate bypasses the 'knife edge' seal that
'bites' into the end of the paper roll.
Then get a glass of water, crumple up some of their paper roll, put it
into the glass of water. Wait to see how long the paper takes to
disintegrate into a slurry. Tell me where on this planet that there
is NO water in fuel oil, either as free water or as an emulsion.
;-)