Larry

Default HONDA EU1000i Generator on the hook

I took my EU1000i to my buddy Geoff's Endeavour 35 sloop for an outing
and ran it on the bow for the weekend. Gave us great power and you
had to listen hard to see if it were running inside the V-berth.
Great power plant and I haven't been able to destroy it yet.

I emptied the little tank on it and fed the end of the hose from the
tank that has a built-in wider opening for the strainer out under the
electrical connections directly behind the on-off switch/valve through
a small hole the size of the small part of the hose. Did you know
this genset has a FUEL PUMP?! There's a little crankcase powered
diaphram pump because the bottom of the internal tank is LOWER than
the carb. It's self priming!

A double ended nylon hose barb fitting works great to attach the tank
end of the original OEM hose to a standard plastic 6-gallon outboard
gas tank, the kind sold by West Marine, the cheap one. The hose end
ID is the same as the gas tank hose that came on the tank. I strapped
the tank to the top of the big toolbox I cut out the ends of to house
the generator on my work stepvan on the van's back door. As all the
hot air and exhaust comes out one end of the genset, I cut the hole to
fit the louvers on that end and cut the other end with a slot lower
than the genset to keep the rain off it on the other end. It runs
just fine in this confined space with its own internal cooling fan.
Running 8-10 hours a day pulling a 5000 BTu Korean AC (5A run load),
the 6 gallon tank lasts about 6 workdays at this load, plus my 40 watt
vibrator compressor old little fridge that uses R-12 from Norcold and
some small loads. A little foam 1/2" thick glued to the inside of the
tool box and you can hardly hear it run, even under load.....(c;

The external tank eliminates those DANGEROUS gas fillings and
spillings on a hot genset with open fuel tanks.....not good. The
outboard tank is USCG approved, if that makes you feel less
guilty...(c;

My only wish is that I had bought the EU2000i for a little more
money.....brain wasn't engaged.

Mine has about 1200 hours on it running Mobile 1 synthetic oil 0-W40
weight. CHANGE OIL, even Mobile 1, every 50-60 hours or it'll cook
even Mobile 1 into glue. I get 3 fillings from a quart of oil, so
that's cheap to do, if a little messy.....

Larry, 3rd Mate Engineering
Amel Sharpi 41' ketch "Claire's Navie".....new used boat to play with
all summer!

On 18 Jun 2003 14:34:57 -0700, (Tim) wrote:

We're thinking of buying one of these generators to keep our house
batteries topped of while on the hook. We have a built in charger
that is normally powered by our shore-power connection. Is there any
problem with plugging-in our shorepower cord into this 1000 watt
generator? Any experiences/opinions welcome and appreciated!

Tim
S/V Hooligan

Larry W4CSC

"No, NO, Mr Spock! I said beam me down a WRENCH,
not a WENCH! KIRK OUT!"

Florida Keyz

This is all good, cept for those non generator purists who complain about my
quiet , you can only hear the water splashing, 7.5 kw northern lite genny.

Sterling
E D Coleman

Tim,

Go ahead and pony up the extra cash for the 2000. You will not be
disappointed. Light, quiet, efficient. We run a 8000 btu A/C all
night down here in the Louisiana tropics in our aluminum cruiser (1965
insulation is nil). I got mine at:

http://www.planopower.com/store/honda_generator.shtml

These guys were very efficient and provided fast shipping. I just
checked the site and they are out of this gen until mid-August. Must
be because they are so good at selling them.

EDColeman

Putting the cruising back in rec.boats.cruising
Leanne

"E D Coleman" wrote in message
om...
Tim,

Go ahead and pony up the extra cash for the 2000. You will not be
disappointed.

We bought our Eu2000i at www.Mayberrys.com/camping

The price is comparable and we had ours in less than a week, at our east coast
location.

Leanne
S/V Fundy

Larry

Earl, if you pull the case apart so you can get to the bottom of the
internal gas tank, you can pull the hose off the tank (empty of
course) which has a plastic strainer plugged into the hose.

The hose widens to accomodate this strainer JUST RIGHT to put a 5/16"
hose barb to hose barb nylon adapter on it with a little clamp. The
red plastic 6-gallon outboard motor tank at West Marine with the
primer bulb and hose already affixed to it is 5/16" to fit on the
barb. Drill a small hole under the output power panel behind the
ON-OFF knob and run the Honda hose out of it and put on the 6-gallon
tank. The engine will run 12 hours per day for nearly a week before
filling. Prime it like you would a small outboard. THE HONDA HAS A
FUEL PUMP! They do this because the internal tank is lower at the
bottom than the carb bowl. It has a little diaphram pulse pump like
an outboard.

I use my EU1000i to power my music repair shop built into an old USAF
stepvan. It sits in a locked tool box stand bolted to the back doors
with holes cut out for the hot air outlet around the exhaust with an
intake slot cut under the genset and back by the AC outlet so the
genset doesn't get wet. Works great with the gas tank on it....MUCH
SAFER THAN FUELING A HOT GENSET!

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 04:33:37 -0000, Earl Colby Pottinger
wrote:

(Michael Sutton) :

What do you guys do? just set them up on the deck and
run the power cord inside?

aren't they too noisey? Or is this model that quiet?
you don't have any vibration?

-mike

Go ahead and pony up the extra cash for the 2000. You will not be
disappointed.

It is that quiet. I use my 1KW model at the cabin up north in the middle of
the woods, and sometimes while recharging my batteries I have to go outside
and around the back just to confirm that it did not run out of gas.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

Michael Sutton

..

It is that quiet. I use my 1KW model at the cabin up north in the middle of
the woods, and sometimes while recharging my batteries I have to go outside
and around the back just to confirm that it did not run out of gas.

wow. looking at the spec sheet it appears that it is on the lower 50's db
range on noise. I imagine that this would be even quiet if you put
a 'sound shield' around the generator to reflect the noise upward.

Why is it so expensive for a small generator?
(is it the Honda name or the quietness of it).

I know you can get other 'portable' generators for cheaper, but
of course they are noisier and not as compact, and don't
have a honda engine.

mike
Den73740

Subject: HONDA EU1000i Generator on the hook

What do you guys do? just set them up on the deck and
run the power cord inside

Is the generator hooked to a ground? If there is a short on the boat from hot
does the generator case go hot with no path to ground.

Dennis
Leanne

Why is it so expensive for a small generator?
(is it the Honda name or the quietness of it).

I know you can get other 'portable' generators for cheaper, but
of course they are noisier and not as compact, and don't
have a honda engine.

The Honda is not a generator, but an engine driven inverter. (Ok, it is probably
a 12v generator with the inverter built in) Not sure of all of the electronics
involved, but it gives us the 125v under light load and at idle speed, ECO mode.
When we turn on the coffee pot, or the boat rafted to us, on our last trip,
turned on the hot water heater, it comes up to full speed until the heater kicks
off. For over two weeks we rafted and supplied the power for both boats until
they had their own delivered.. I have used several types of small generators in
the past and would not change the 2000i for any of them. I have run it in the
stern of the boat or when we are entertaining then place it up forward on deck.
The only thing I would change is having a way to extend the exhaust pipe upwards
several feet so we could set it down in the cockpit while running.

Leanne
S/V Fundy

Leanne

"Den73740" wrote in message

What do you guys do? just set them up on the deck and
run the power cord inside

We use a 30-20 A adapter and plug the 30 side to the shore power plug and then
use a commercial quality extension cord plugged into the 2000 and the female end
goes on the adapter. I can go 25 feet in any direction I have done this places
where shore power was not available.

Leanne
S/V Fundy