Alex Moore

Default Suzuki 140 vs. Honda 130 Four Stroke Question

Hi All: I'm in the market for a Eastern 24' Cuddy Cabin boat. The
boat's dry weight is appx. 3000-3100 lbs. If you live in the New
England area this boat looks exactly like a lobster boat & is.
Although, this will be used for pleasure boating.

Here's my scenario. Eastern is a Honda outboard dealer & they are
pushing the Honda 130. Most the boats I have seen in the water are
using the Honda 130. I have my concerns & I'll give you my thoughts on
the pros & cons. Please note: I can purchase a 2003 (brand new in box)
130 for $9,900.00 but the boat will be a 2004.

Honda 130:

Pros: The Honda name & the 130 has been very, very durable. Decent
amount of service centers. The engine will be installed @ the factory
vs. sending the boat to a Suzuki dealership.

Cons: Price ($10,990.00 rigged 2004 model). Weight=508 lbs.

Suzuki: 140

Pros: Cost ($9,000.00 rigged) 10 more HP. Better gas consumption.
Light=421 lbs. A little quieter in db. Possible 6 year warranty (vs.
standard 3 year) coming January 1st, 2004.

Cons: Dealer network (not a problem were we live. Gloucester, MA.)
Suzuki endurance on the 140???

I took a 24' Eastern center console (not the Cuddy I'm looking at) on
a sea trail w/ the Honda 130 & it pushed the boat fine. Not great, but
I must understand this is not a fast boat to begin with. Do you think
the 87 lbs. & the 10 less HP on the Honda 130 makes that much of a
difference? I'm on the ropes here. Need to make a decision within 2-3
weeks.

I understand that Honda is coming out with a new 2004 135 & 150 HP
engines that weight in @ 478 lbs. Only problem? They cost (appx.)
$12,990.00 for the 150 & $11,990.00 for the 135. This is too much
money! I want to keep the cost on my outboard to around $10,000.00
(max).

My preference would be to have everything done @ Eastern @ turn the
key & go. But I'm leaning towards the Suzuki 140. I would appreciate
any & all insight if you could help me make my decision. Thanks for
your time!

Regards,

Alex Moore
Jack Rye

Here is my advise. Shop the internet and get the best price delivered on
the two engines and boat. Take the information to the dealers and talk the
same engines model number, year, hp, warranty. Your dealer should then be
able to offer you a better deal on a boat engine combo. Here is a good link
to start on engine price.
http://www.marineengine.com/
You may have to email some to get their price or call the 1-800 toll free
number. Remember to include delivery charge.

Jack
DF140TLK3 140 Remote 20" Electric $8059.00
DF140TXLK3 140 Remote 25" Electric $8108.00
DF140TXGK3 140 Remote 25" Electric $8352.00

"Alex Moore" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Harry Krause

Alex Moore wrote:

[...]

I think the boat is seriously underpowered with either of those engines.
Yamaha has a 150 hp four cycle now, if you insist on a four cycle. It
might do a little better.

Email sent to will never reach me.

-v-

"Alex Moore" wrote in message
om...
Hi All: I'm in the market for a Eastern 24' Cuddy Cabin boat. The
boat's dry weight is appx. 3000-3100 lbs. If you live in the New
England area this boat looks exactly like a lobster boat & is.
Although, this will be used for pleasure boating.

Here's my scenario. Eastern is a Honda outboard dealer & they are
pushing the Honda 130.

Are you sure that is enough power for a 24' boat?
I have a 200 Merc on my 22' walkaround that weighs about the same and has an
8' 3" beam and it is good power (46 mph WOT) but I wouldn't want less.

Alex Moore

"-v-" wrote in message om...
"Alex Moore" wrote in message
om...
Hi All: I'm in the market for a Eastern 24' Cuddy Cabin boat. The
boat's dry weight is appx. 3000-3100 lbs. If you live in the New
England area this boat looks exactly like a lobster boat & is.
Although, this will be used for pleasure boating.

Here's my scenario. Eastern is a Honda outboard dealer & they are
pushing the Honda 130.

Are you sure that is enough power for a 24' boat?
I have a 200 Merc on my 22' walkaround that weighs about the same and has an
8' 3" beam and it is good power (46 mph WOT) but I wouldn't want less.

V: Almost all of Eastern's 24' "Lobsterfisherman" boats are fitted out
Honda 130's. Is it underpowered? Well...It's not a fast boat to begin
with. It's not a deep or even a modified V hull, it's has a rounded
hull w/ a high bow. It almost has canoe properties in the bow. If you
ever seen a Nova Scotia lobster boat, the Eastern's are in the same
family.

I called Eastern boats & told them I'm leaning towards the Suzuki &
asked is a 140 HP enough. They said "Absolutley" Then I mentioned a
Suzuki 200 HP four stroke & he said too much power. Not needed. I
understand your thinking...I currently have a 20' Robalo CC w/ a
Mariner 135 (V6) 2 stroke & that boat weight is 2650 lbs. The Robalo
is a pocket rocket with that engine.

This boat is really meant to run about 28-30 MPH tops @ 4500-5000 RPM
with a Honda 130. The Honda redlines @ 5500 RPM, the Suzuki 140 is @
6200. I can put a Suzuki 200 four stroke on back but the weight
difference is HUGE. 140 HP=421 lbs. & the 200 HP=581lbs (160 lbs.
difference). I would need trim tabs, which I don't want.

Another poster mentioned the Yamaha 150 four stroke. 1st, this engine
is allocated until March 2004!!! Unreal. 2nd, the cost is a joke
(appx. $14,500) & that doesn't even include installation! The new
Honda 150 HP four stroke, coming out in January is $12,900 installed.
I don't think $3,900 is worth the 10 extra HP vs. the Suzuki 140 @
$9,000.

Here's a link to my 24' Eastern boat:

http://www.easternboats.com/tour24.html

I'm still on the ropes over here.

Alex

Alex Moore

Here is my advise. Shop the internet and get the best price delivered
on
the two engines and boat. Take the information to the dealers and
talk the
same engines model number, year, hp, warranty. Your dealer should then
be
able to offer you a better deal on a boat engine combo. Here is a
good link
to start on engine price.
http://www.marineengine.com/
You may have to email some to get their price or call the 1-800 toll
free
number. Remember to include delivery charge.

Jack
DF140TLK3 140 Remote 20" Electric $8059.00
DF140TXLK3 140 Remote 25" Electric $8108.00
DF140TXGK3 140 Remote 25" Electric $8352.00

Jack: 1st, thanks for the reply. Eastern boats are sold direct from
the factory. There kind of a custom boat company. You pick out a hull,
then you say CC or Cuddy Cabin, then you start adding on the options.
Eastern will almost put anything on your boat using after market items
or even fiberglass sections to your liking. Very, very solid boat &
claims praise up here in New England by many boaters.

So, I can't "shop" the boat. They simply don't have dealerships. I can
only look for the best price on the outboard engine. I think the 25"
Shaft (DF140TXLK3) 140 Suzuki is a steal @ $9,000 installed with fuel,
multi-tach gauges from my local dealer. It would cost $100.00 for the
SS Prop & $70.00 extra for the hour meter gauge.

Thanks Again.

Alex
-v-

"Alex Moore" wrote in message
om...
"-v-" wrote in message

om...
"Alex Moore" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I like the lighter weight and extra power of the Suzuki but I don't have
personal experience with either one.

How is the dealer service for Suzuki vs Honda in your area?

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi ALex,
Quite a few of the local commercial fisherman and many of the guides
have gone over to the Suzuki engines. They are really quiet, and sip
fuel with an eyedropper. The counter-rotation of the crankshaft and
propshaft cancel out vibration.

The 115 is the most common engine in use by the "crabbers" and the 140
is favored by the bass guides.

I have spoken with Jerry at Advanced Marine. (Craven Rd, Jacksonville
FL) Advance Marine is a factory authorized Suzuki and Tohatsu repair and
sales shop. Jerry had shown me the Suzuki's on board computer which
records the engine's use over its life span. The motor (90hp) we were
looking at was 2 1/2 years old. It looked well used too. Downright scruffy!

I was astonished to see the computer had recorded over 18,000 hours of use.

Capt. Frank

Alex Moore wrote:

"-v-" wrote in message om...

"Alex Moore" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

Del Cecchi

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hi ALex,

snip
I have spoken with Jerry at Advanced Marine. (Craven Rd, Jacksonville
FL) Advance Marine is a factory authorized Suzuki and Tohatsu repair and
sales shop. Jerry had shown me the Suzuki's on board computer which
records the engine's use over its life span. The motor (90hp) we were
looking at was 2 1/2 years old. It looked well used too. Downright

scruffy!

I was astonished to see the computer had recorded over 18,000 hours of

use.

Capt. Frank

Alex Moore wrote:

snip

Be suspicious. 2.5 years is only 21,900 hours (24*365*2.5). So apparently
they never turned the motor off, except for christmas and hurricanes.
seems a little hard to believe.

del cecchi

Alex Moore

I like the lighter weight and extra power of the Suzuki but I don't
have
personal experience with either one.

How is the dealer service for Suzuki vs Honda in your area?

Excellent! There's a large Suzuki dealership about 3 miles away & has
all the services you could ask for i.e. bottom painting, shrinkwrap,
winter storage etc. I prefer the Suzuki dealer in terms of location
vs. the Honda dealership in town. We have both. I live in Gloucester,
MA. (Home of The Perfect Storm) & it's a real seacoast community.

Regards,

Alex

evinrude 2+4 & 2 stroke oil question Clams Canino General 3 September 28th 03 01:28 PM
Winterizing a Honda outboard 4 stroke (90HP) Messing In Boats General 2 September 13th 03 04:42 AM
Suzuki 140 hp 4 stroke PMusto General 1 August 27th 03 04:19 PM
honda 15 ob stalls at low idle- adjustment tom clark General 2 August 14th 03 07:05 AM
Honda 4 stroke engines Dan General 11 August 13th 03 02:25 PM