Larry

Default HONDA EU1000i Generator on the hook

On 7 Aug 2003 06:44:41 -0700, (Michael Sutton)
wrote:

What do you do if you want to use the internal tank again? do you have
a switch valve or do you have re-plumb the hoses?

I also have a Honda EX-5500 5.5KW power plant I bought for Hurricane
Hugo in 1989. I wanted to eliminate the tank filling nonsense on it
so I could use a siphon to regular jerry cans. What I did on that
that works great is a METAL fish tank air manifold.

The manifold common goes to the carb's fuel shutoff valve on the
original hose. Each valved "outlet" (in the air system), which can be
shutoff by turning its individual valves 90 degrees, goes to a fuel
source. There are two on this manifold I bought at a fish tank shop.
One goes through a hose to the original gas tank. Open this valve and
close the other valve and the genset runs just like it did off its
internal tank. The second valved spigot has about 6' of small hose on
it (fuel hose for chain saws tiny engines works great).

To use an external jerry can is real simple. Lay out the long hose on
the ground and open BOTH valves until the gas comes out the open hose
end, priming the hose without sucking gas in your mouth. Immediately
shut off the gas tank valve, and pinch the long hose 2' from its end
between your fingers. Drop the open end into any opening in the top
of the jerry can that sits on a box or chair or anything that will get
it HIGHER than the genset. My back steps works great. Release the
hose, and the siphon pumps gas through the long hose's fish tank valve
into the common manifold and into the carb. Crank the genset and
it'll run with a 4000 watt load for hours after hours. After the 5th
hour, simply go look at the fuel level on the outside of the red
plastic jerry can to see if it's getting empty. (Mine sits where I
can look out a window to see the level, with a flashlight at night.)
When the can is nearly empty, pinch off the fuel flow where the long
hose comes out of the jerry can top. Pull the hose out of the empty
jerry can and plunge it into the next full jerry can. Release the
hose and note how long you're running under this average load between
jerry cans. Adjust your fuel level inspection time accordingly. Fill
the empty jerry can at your leisure, when you're down to your last
can. Stop the genset once a day to check the oil level. My Honda
can't run low because it has an oil level alarm/automatic shutoff.
Hondas use ZERO oil between oil changes...both of them....

Every 4 days, change the oil if you're running them 24/7....about 100
hours.

How many jerry cans you gots? I got EIGHT!

WE WILL NEVER BE IN THE DARK FOR MONTHS AGAIN.......NEVER!
(Hurricane Hugo promise - September, 1989)

Stupid power company STILL hasn't buried the wires! Idiots.

The little genset is only used for the truck. I suppose a Y valve
could have been installed in the fuel line but isn't relative to my
application. I'm trying hard, to no avail so far, to wear it out so I
can go get a BIGGER Honda, probably the EU3000i this time. The
EU1000i runs 8-10 hours every day running the 5000 Btu Goldstar AC in
the truck....cool!

I know you use yours in a 'mounted configuration' where you prob
don't move it any, but do you have a disconnect between the generator
and the external tank so that they could be seperated for transport
in a normal car/truck ?

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.