Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Larry

Default HONDA EU1000i Generator on the hook

I took my EU1000i to my buddy Geoff's Endeavour 35 sloop for an outing
and ran it on the bow for the weekend. Gave us great power and you
had to listen hard to see if it were running inside the V-berth.
Great power plant and I haven't been able to destroy it yet.

I emptied the little tank on it and fed the end of the hose from the
tank that has a built-in wider opening for the strainer out under the
electrical connections directly behind the on-off switch/valve through
a small hole the size of the small part of the hose. Did you know
this genset has a FUEL PUMP?! There's a little crankcase powered
diaphram pump because the bottom of the internal tank is LOWER than
the carb. It's self priming!

A double ended nylon hose barb fitting works great to attach the tank
end of the original OEM hose to a standard plastic 6-gallon outboard
gas tank, the kind sold by West Marine, the cheap one. The hose end
ID is the same as the gas tank hose that came on the tank. I strapped
the tank to the top of the big toolbox I cut out the ends of to house
the generator on my work stepvan on the van's back door. As all the
hot air and exhaust comes out one end of the genset, I cut the hole to
fit the louvers on that end and cut the other end with a slot lower
than the genset to keep the rain off it on the other end. It runs
just fine in this confined space with its own internal cooling fan.
Running 8-10 hours a day pulling a 5000 BTu Korean AC (5A run load),
the 6 gallon tank lasts about 6 workdays at this load, plus my 40 watt
vibrator compressor old little fridge that uses R-12 from Norcold and
some small loads. A little foam 1/2" thick glued to the inside of the
tool box and you can hardly hear it run, even under load.....(c;

The external tank eliminates those DANGEROUS gas fillings and
spillings on a hot genset with open fuel tanks.....not good. The
outboard tank is USCG approved, if that makes you feel less
guilty...(c;

My only wish is that I had bought the EU2000i for a little more
money.....brain wasn't engaged.

Mine has about 1200 hours on it running Mobile 1 synthetic oil 0-W40
weight. CHANGE OIL, even Mobile 1, every 50-60 hours or it'll cook
even Mobile 1 into glue. I get 3 fillings from a quart of oil, so
that's cheap to do, if a little messy.....

Larry, 3rd Mate Engineering
Amel Sharpi 41' ketch "Claire's Navie".....new used boat to play with
all summer!

On 18 Jun 2003 14:34:57 -0700, (Tim) wrote:

We're thinking of buying one of these generators to keep our house
batteries topped of while on the hook. We have a built in charger
that is normally powered by our shore-power connection. Is there any
problem with plugging-in our shorepower cord into this 1000 watt
generator? Any experiences/opinions welcome and appreciated!

Tim
S/V Hooligan

Larry W4CSC

"No, NO, Mr Spock! I said beam me down a WRENCH,
not a WENCH! KIRK OUT!"