Chunky

Default Suzuki/Johnson DF140 vs Honda BF135 4 Strokes

I am planning to repower my 6m Aluminium Cuddy with a new 4 stroke
motor. I have come up with three candidates. The Suzuki DF140 (and the
Johnson which is essentially a rebadged DF140) or the new Honda BF135.

Suzuki DF140
DOHC inline 4 cyl 16 valve
2044cc
410lbs

Honda BF135
DOHC inline 4 cyl ? valve
2354cc
477lbs

If money was no object I'd go for the Honda because 1) 40 years of
small, high powered/speed 4 stroke motors. 2) Reputation. 3) Large
dealer network in Australia. However all these points command a price
premium of more than US$3000. Therefore the Suzuki (or Johnson) is a
big temptation. It looks great on paper, slightly more power, 67lbs
lighter etc. However will it stand the test of time.

I'd love to hear of others views/experiences etc with any of these
outboards.

Regards,
Robert.
Harry Krause

Chunky wrote:

[...]

Suzuki has been making that engine for some time, and offers a strong
warranty. How strong is the dealer you are considering, and what do his
parts shelves look like? Those may be the critical factors for you.

I find the Honda outboards overpriced.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Chunky,

I am a partner in a boat rental and fishing guide company. Several of
our pontoon boats use the Suzuki DF50's. We have not had a problem with
the Suzuki engines. One now has almost 3000 hours on it. Salt water
corrosion does not seem to be a factor.

Many of the local crab boats use the suzuki's as well. It is getting a
strong following in the commercial market.

The only "bad" thing I have to say is we go through a lot of expensive
props, as renters can't tell an eddy current from a sandbar. Aftermarket
spares are not generally available. (Not for Honda's either and parts
are twice as costly.)

The DF140's I have seen around the marina are very quiet. When idling,
all you hear is the water discharge from the "pee hole." On a trip out
with a friend and his new Edgewater, his twin 140's gave the boat plenty
of speed, and we could hold a normal voice conversation. There was
almost no vibration.

Capt. Frank

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Chunky wrote:
[...]

Chunky

I am getting a warm feeling about the Suzuki DF140. Saw one today at one of
the local Suzuki dealers here in Australia. Including fit up, they want the
equivalent of US$11,742. I brought up the lack of dealer support in
Australia in comparison to Honda and the guy agreed but did mention that in
Australia, to be able to enter the market, a outboard manufacter must be
able to supply spare parts even if they pull out, as requred by law.

Under the cowl, the Suzuki was a work of art in terms of the quality of
finish of the powerhead. That is an indication of how serious the Japanese
are to engineering. If it runs as good as it looks....

Thanks and regards,

hlink.net...