Leanne

Default HONDA EU1000i Generator on the hook

Why is it so expensive for a small generator?
(is it the Honda name or the quietness of it).

I know you can get other 'portable' generators for cheaper, but
of course they are noisier and not as compact, and don't
have a honda engine.

The Honda is not a generator, but an engine driven inverter. (Ok, it is probably
a 12v generator with the inverter built in) Not sure of all of the electronics
involved, but it gives us the 125v under light load and at idle speed, ECO mode.
When we turn on the coffee pot, or the boat rafted to us, on our last trip,
turned on the hot water heater, it comes up to full speed until the heater kicks
off. For over two weeks we rafted and supplied the power for both boats until
they had their own delivered.. I have used several types of small generators in
the past and would not change the 2000i for any of them. I have run it in the
stern of the boat or when we are entertaining then place it up forward on deck.
The only thing I would change is having a way to extend the exhaust pipe upwards
several feet so we could set it down in the cockpit while running.

Leanne
S/V Fundy