Don White

Gary G wrote:

I tend to strongly agree. I was armed but never needed it. Very
nice. It is a whole new world there. Quite refreshing. I just don't
get the booze thing--difference between WA and Canada.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

I think it's an attempt to control smuggling. In the past, booze &
cigarettes were cheaper stateside so people would go down and buy as
much as they could carry....for their own comsumption or for re-sale.
I live in one of the three provinces in Canada that doesn't border the
states so that may not be as much a problem here.
Evan Gatehouse

Gary G wrote:
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:30:10 -0700, "johnhh"
wrote:

Leave your guns, you won't need them. Buy your booze in Canada and, if you
have no felony convictions, customs is not a problem.

I tend to strongly agree. I was armed but never needed it. Very
nice. It is a whole new world there. Quite refreshing. I just don't
get the booze thing--difference between WA and Canada.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

It's a DIFFERENT country. It has different laws.

If you enter the US from Canada there are also laws on how
much alchol you may enter with - but because Canadian booze
is more expensive nobody does it

Evan Gatehouse
Gary G

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:20:43 -0700, Evan Gatehouse
wrote:

It's a DIFFERENT country. It has different laws.

If you enter the US from Canada there are also laws on how
much alchol you may enter with - but because Canadian booze
is more expensive nobody does it

Evan Gatehouse

Right. So it is not WA vs. Canada, it is USA vs. Canada.
So my CA booze is the same as WA. What is odd is that WA
only sells hard liquor at "state stores." I suppose that
the net result is that any liquor from the US (any state)
into Canada falls under the same draconian rules as WA
origination.

We were in WA over Labor Day weekend and fortunately brought
our favorite Barbados rum or we would have been on beer and
wine only. Strange.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com
beldar

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:58:13 +0000, Gary G wrote:

By all means, let me know. We likely will go to Canada destinations in
the future. right now, I avoid it. Booze unfriendly and gun
unfriendly. WA is a better place, IMO.

You know, when I think about the good times, I naturally think about how
well booze and guns go together! Putz! I think you should stay right
where you are at home in the good old USA. It's too boring up here.
Gary G

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:54:26 -0400, "beldar"
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:58:13 +0000, Gary G wrote:

By all means, let me know. We likely will go to Canada destinations in
the future. right now, I avoid it. Booze unfriendly and gun
unfriendly. WA is a better place, IMO.

You know, when I think about the good times, I naturally think about how
well booze and guns go together! Putz! I think you should stay right
where you are at home in the good old USA. It's too boring up here.

Booze and guns are separate issues. I have resolved the gun issue.
WA and Canada are no problem for attack. The booze remains a issue.

Please see my new posting to deal with this topic.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

Don White

Gary G wrote:

Booze and guns are separate issues. I have resolved the gun issue.
WA and Canada are no problem for attack. The booze remains a issue.

Please see my new posting to deal with this topic.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

Here on the Atlantic side of Canada you very seldom hear of a problem.
When you do, it's usually some American who tries to hide his shootin'
iron and doesn't declare it crossing the border into Canada. If caught
they lose the gun and pay a $ 1K fine.
Trust me...if you sailed here you would not need the gun although the
booze might come in handy.
Gary G

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 03:08:22 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Gary G wrote:

Booze and guns are separate issues. I have resolved the gun issue.
WA and Canada are no problem for attack. The booze remains a issue.

Please see my new posting to deal with this topic.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

Here on the Atlantic side of Canada you very seldom hear of a problem.
When you do, it's usually some American who tries to hide his shootin'
iron and doesn't declare it crossing the border into Canada. If caught
they lose the gun and pay a $ 1K fine.
Trust me...if you sailed here you would not need the gun although the
booze might come in handy.

I'm on the Western side. I think the same applies. Canada law says
no guns. OK. Even WA, which is a shall issue state is not a problem.

So now, my big problem is 1.15L of booze. Geeze...

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com
Gary G

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:28:00 -0700, Gary G see.signature@bottom
wrote:

We did NW WA and had a great time. We visited darn near all of the
San Juan Islands. Roche Harbor was fabulous and Friday Harbor was
very nice. Deer Harbor was super friendly. Overall, a great place to
visit.

Our next journey is into Canada. This will be interesting.

Instead of a 34' Meridian we will take a 42 Ocean Alexander. The
extran room is nice.

Then we have to deal with the immigration imbrogilo.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com
Ryk

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:42:08 -0700, Gary G see.signature@bottom
wrote:

Then we have to deal with the immigration imbrogilo.

I don't think you'll find it a big deal. Unless you decide to make it
into one.

Don't bring firearms.

Don't bring alcohol or tobacco beyond normal ship's stores.

Call the toll free customs number posted at most points of entry and
report your arrival. Use a land line rather than a cell phone and keep
everybody on the boat until you are cleared.

You may find returning to the US rather more complicated because of
the separation of the INS and customs functions, and the shifting
rules.

Ryk
Gary G

wrote:

Then we have to deal with the immigration imbrogilo.

I don't think you'll find it a big deal. Unless you decide to make it
into one.

Don't bring firearms.

Don't bring alcohol or tobacco beyond normal ship's stores.

Call the toll free customs number posted at most points of entry and
report your arrival. Use a land line rather than a cell phone and keep
everybody on the boat until you are cleared.

You may find returning to the US rather more complicated because of
the separation of the INS and customs functions, and the shifting
rules.

Ryk

I know about the gun issue. No problem. I've seen reference to the
I-68 which no one seems to officially use. There is CANPASS and a PIN
thing. I will have to sort these out. 2005 Waggoner is helpful in
this regard. We will be likely going back in 2006 around beginning of
September--a very nice time.

The alcohol still puzzles me. The limit is around 1.1L of booze, xx L
of beer and (I think or) yy L wine per person. What does this mean?
Is this a duty-free limit? If in total there is more booze than
allowed, is it a matter of paying some tax or what? Same for wine and
beer. Then, the same question when coming back to US port. What
happens if there is say twice the "allowed" amount on board?

We have zero cigs.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746