Intenost

Default San Juan Island suggestions

Hola, I am once again to the spectacular San Juan Islands (next week),
another short trip (better then no trip!), basically 3.5 days, starting from
Friday Harbor, and I'm looking for a couple of new spots to check out. On
previous trips I've been to Roche Harbor, Stuart Island (both harbors),
Sucia (may go back there this trip), Anacortes, Rosario (Orcas).

I am thinking this time of checking out Spencer Spit on Lopez and Jones
Island Marine State park. Any suggestions about these or other places?

Basically looking for some nice spots to head ashore for some hiking, decent
protected spot to moor (or anchor if need be). Good places to see whale's
or hang out with otters, seals, deer would be nice.

I've usually found the currents have taken me clockwise from Friday Harbor
around to the northeast and then I usually circle around and return from the
southeast so will probably do a variation on that theme.

One thing I've never done is hit the backside (west side) of San Juan
Island, I've heard there are often whales in the channel there, but doesn't
look like there are any decent places to put in, or are there?

Unfortunately Canada not an option due to possible immigration complications
that one of our crew would rather not deal with until he becomes a US
citizen. Hopefully next year that will be done and we'll take a shot at the
Gulf Islands and maybe Vancouver Island.

Anyone ever check this out? Might be fun to hang out with some island
hippies (not that I'm in to that kind of thing, but hey it's a vacation):

"If you have time, Doe Bay, northeast of Obstruction Pass in Rosario Strait,
is a delightful day stop. Tiny Doe Island (approach slowly,
with your best rock scout at the bow) is a state park with a small dock. A
15-minute walk circumstrolls this wondrous little gem. On the Orcas shore,
the small community of Doe Bay has the reputation of being a well-preserved
commune from the 60s, complete with communal (and clothesless) hot tub.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Ost

Fuzzy Logic

"Intenost" wrote in
:

[...]

It may be a bit out of the way but what about Port Townshend? We were
recently there this summer for the first time and it's a beautiful place.