Louise

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:36:42 -0700, Gary G see.signature@bottom
wrote:
Anyway, this is a marvelous area to cruise. We did not go to Canada
since we were not familiar with the customs thing. Next time, we
will likely go there.

Yes, it is important to study up on local customs before you visit
foreign ports, so you don't look foolish when you get there. Or did
you mean Customs and Immigration?

I heard of folks piled up waiting to get
through customs. What are they doing? (customs). What is the big
deal? I read of Canadian booze in Wagoners about WA/CAN booze. What
is the difference? Obviously it is a revenue issue. We bring booze
from CA. So, how does this fit in? Is booze wine, beer or high
octane spirits or all of the above? Strange. CA is just anything
goes.

Hardly strange at all, unless you haven't travelled out of your
country before. Visitors to Canada are permitted to bring a small
quantity of liquor (1.14 L of spirits, a bottle of wine, or a case of
beer) for personal use, or more if they're willing to pay duty.
Visitors to the USA are permitted to bring a small quantity of liquor
(1L of spirits) for personal use, or more if they're willing to pay
duty. The websites of each jurisdiction explain the details.

Since I am Canadian and our boat is a registered Canadian vessel, I
won't attempt to explain the other details of visiting Canada by
pleasure vessel. Perhaps someone else on your side of the border
could explain.

Louise
Gary G

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:53:26 GMT, ahoy wrote:

Our local (us) power squadron told us there is now a $150 VHF licience
fee we have to pay if we still want to cruise in Canada. Is this
really being enforced when you check in at the customs dock?

No idea about this. I have a Restricted License based on
flying. I believe that this is the same license needed
for marine. So I am OK.

I have no experience with Canada. Until some future
time, I will avoid Canada destinations due to customs
hassles between Canada and US.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com
Gary G

wrote:
Anyway, this is a marvelous area to cruise. We did not go to Canada
since we were not familiar with the customs thing. Next time, we
will likely go there.

Yes, it is important to study up on local customs before you visit
foreign ports, so you don't look foolish when you get there. Or did
you mean Customs and Immigration?

I meant Customs and Immigration.

I heard of folks piled up waiting to get
through customs. What are they doing? (customs). What is the big
deal? I read of Canadian booze in Wagoners about WA/CAN booze. What
is the difference? Obviously it is a revenue issue. We bring booze
from CA. So, how does this fit in? Is booze wine, beer or high
octane spirits or all of the above? Strange. CA is just anything
goes.

Hardly strange at all, unless you haven't travelled out of your
country before. Visitors to Canada are permitted to bring a small
quantity of liquor (1.14 L of spirits, a bottle of wine, or a case of
beer) for personal use, or more if they're willing to pay duty.
Visitors to the USA are permitted to bring a small quantity of liquor
(1L of spirits) for personal use, or more if they're willing to pay
duty. The websites of each jurisdiction explain the details.

Well, I travel to UK, EU and other places and have no problem with
booze. It seems that Canada makes a big deal about this. Why?
What is the difference between CA booze and WA booze and Canada booze?
Ahhhh....taxes. So, how to tell the difference? Is there some
certificate of compliance stuck to a bottle? Dumb.

Since I am Canadian and our boat is a registered Canadian vessel, I
won't attempt to explain the other details of visiting Canada by
pleasure vessel. Perhaps someone else on your side of the border
could explain.

Louise

By all means, let me know. We likely will go to Canada destinations
in the future. right now, I avoid it. Booze unfriendly and gun
unfriendly. WA is a better place, IMO.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com
Evan Gatehouse

ahoy wrote:
Our local (us) power squadron told us there is now a $150 VHF licience
fee we have to pay if we still want to cruise in Canada. Is this
really being enforced when you check in at the customs dock?

Are you kidding? In Canada?

O.k. seriously we don't have enough money to fund a decent
Coast Guard and the customs guys don't care about VHF
licenses. They want to know if you have a ton of alcohol or
ciggies but that's about it.

Evan Gatehouse

Don White

Gary G wrote:

By all means, let me know. We likely will go to Canada destinations
in the future. right now, I avoid it. Booze unfriendly and gun
unfriendly. WA is a better place, IMO.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

If you're that hung up on guns & booze, Canada probably isn't the best
place for you.

Don White

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
ahoy wrote:

Our local (us) power squadron told us there is now a $150 VHF licience
fee we have to pay if we still want to cruise in Canada. Is this
really being enforced when you check in at the customs dock?

Are you kidding? In Canada?

O.k. seriously we don't have enough money to fund a decent Coast Guard
and the customs guys don't care about VHF licenses. They want to know
if you have a ton of alcohol or ciggies but that's about it.

Evan Gatehouse

I have a 'Restricted Radio Operators License'issued in Nova Scotia. I
may have paid a nomimal fee to get it (either $ 10.00 or $ 20.00) but
it's lifetime with no annual fee.
Check closer to see who is actually getting this $ 150.00. Is it the US
govt??
Gary G

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:43:06 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Gary G wrote:

By all means, let me know. We likely will go to Canada destinations
in the future. right now, I avoid it. Booze unfriendly and gun
unfriendly. WA is a better place, IMO.

If you're that hung up on guns & booze, Canada probably isn't the best
place for you.

No, it is not. It is not a hang up. It is politics and taxes and
reduction of freedom. Please...no flame wars. We have our own
situations here in CA.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

Peter Bennett

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:53:21 -0700, Gary G see.signature@bottom
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:53:26 GMT, ahoy wrote:

Our local (us) power squadron told us there is now a $150 VHF licience
fee we have to pay if we still want to cruise in Canada. Is this
really being enforced when you check in at the customs dock?

No idea about this. I have a Restricted License based on
flying. I believe that this is the same license needed
for marine. So I am OK.

I suspect that is what we in Canada would call an "Operator
Certificate" - here the aeronautical and marine operators certificates
are different - aviators don't need to know about channel 16, and some
other marine-specific things.

The $150 is the US FCC fee for a ship station licence. US pleasure
craft operating in the US are exempt from station licencing, but do
require a station licence when operating in another country (not just
in Canada).

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Gary G

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:30:10 -0700, "johnhh"
wrote:

Leave your guns, you won't need them. Buy your booze in Canada and, if you
have no felony convictions, customs is not a problem.

I tend to strongly agree. I was armed but never needed it. Very
nice. It is a whole new world there. Quite refreshing. I just don't
get the booze thing--difference between WA and Canada.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191