Gary G

Default San Juan Island Itinerary Suggestions

Greetings:

We are going to be crusing the San Juan Islands in Sept in a 32'
dual Diesel cruiser from Anacortes WA. Any suggestions on a suitable
itinerary for this time of year?

We have not been to the San Juans before.

I'm concerned about potable water, pump out stations and docked power.
Since we are likely on the off-season, many of the normal high season
feature will not be present. If anyone has been in this area around
the same time, personal feedback is appreciated.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com
Jim Donohue

Don't be. This is very civilized cruising. As long as you are smart enough
not to run into anything hard there really is no way to screw up in the San
Juans.

Somebody gets unhappy a Port is a few hours away.

You are not in the Aleutians.

For $200 you can probably get anything you want delievered wherever in the
San Juans.

The San Juans run almost year round if the weather is good.

Jim Donohue

"Gary G" see.signature@bottom wrote in message
Greetings:

We are going to be crusing the San Juan Islands in Sept in a 32'
dual Diesel cruiser from Anacortes WA. Any suggestions on a suitable
itinerary for this time of year?

We have not been to the San Juans before.

I'm concerned about potable water, pump out stations and docked power.
Since we are likely on the off-season, many of the normal high season
feature will not be present. If anyone has been in this area around
the same time, personal feedback is appreciated.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

Gary G

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:49:00 -0700, "Jim Donohue"
wrote:

Don't be. This is very civilized cruising. As long as you are smart enough
not to run into anything hard there really is no way to screw up in the San
Juans.

Somebody gets unhappy a Port is a few hours away.

You are not in the Aleutians.

For $200 you can probably get anything you want delievered wherever in the
San Juans.

The San Juans run almost year round if the weather is good.

Jim Donohue

Thanks for the reply.

I'm looking at Waggoner and see the limitations of hanging out
during the day versus overnight. It is difficult to sort out...
Not having been there. The reefs and obstacles are noted and will
be heeded. What bothers me most is finding places to replenish
water and to dump holding tanks. I figure that for the whole
seven days, I will not need Deisel fuel. Water is a key issue,
as I see it. So I am focused on how to deal with new water and
"old water."

supposedly, mid-Sept is the end of the normal season. So shore
services may be iffy. We'll see.

Thanks.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com
Jack Dale

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:28:55 -0700, Gary G see.signature@bottom
wrote:

Water is a key issue,
as I see it. So I am focused on how to deal with new water and
"old water."

Water is available at

Friday Harbor
Roche Harbor
Rosario Resort
Deer Harbor
West Sound Marina
Islands Marine Center (Fisherman Bay)

All potable.

Pump outs at most of these.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
johnhh

There will be no difference in the availability of water and pumpouts in
Sept than in peak times. In fact, due to decreased traffic, it will be more
accesible. Sept. is one of the best months for cruising the San Juans since
the crowds are substantially less and the weather still fairly good.

wrote:

[...]

Bryan

supposedly, mid-Sept is the end of the normal season. So shore
services may be iffy. We'll see.

Thanks.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

Bellingham, Wash. or Sidney, BC are only hours away. There's access both
places to whatever year round. Relax bro'!
R.W. Behan

Hey, Gary, we live here (on Fisherman Bay, Lopez Island) and let me say the
advice provided above is spot-on. If you can read charts and your depth
sounder, you have nothing to worry about. Water, pumpouts, food, diesel,
restaurants, even good booze is available in many, almost intervisible
locations and within walking distance. Y'all come, and enjoy yerse'f,
y'hear?

Dick Behan
LNVT "Annie"

"Gary G" see.signature@bottom wrote in message
Greetings:

We are going to be crusing the San Juan Islands in Sept in a 32'
dual Diesel cruiser from Anacortes WA. Any suggestions on a suitable
itinerary for this time of year?

We have not been to the San Juans before.

I'm concerned about potable water, pump out stations and docked power.
Since we are likely on the off-season, many of the normal high season
feature will not be present. If anyone has been in this area around
the same time, personal feedback is appreciated.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:11:20 -0700, Gary G see.signature@bottom
wrote:

Greetings:

We are going to be crusing the San Juan Islands in Sept in a 32'
dual Diesel cruiser from Anacortes WA. Any suggestions on a suitable
itinerary for this time of year?

We have not been to the San Juans before.

I'm concerned about potable water, pump out stations and docked power.
Since we are likely on the off-season, many of the normal high season
feature will not be present. If anyone has been in this area around
the same time, personal feedback is appreciated.

Just a thought, you may want to consider doing what we did on my trip
there, about this time of year. We spent a day riding the ferries and
doing the tourist things onshore (I enjoyed Orcas Island the most,
which is not to denigrate the others) with no cares other than
catching the next ferry. If you plan it right you can get a lot done
in a day. The ferry schedules do require a bit of study though. Then
we took to the water for the rest of the week with no particular
pressure to be anywhere or do anything.

Have a good trip. Wish I was going.

Glen
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
Gary G

We are set to have a good time in the San Juans. We are on a
Meridian 32' with all amenities. It has all sorts of
the latest features and Raymarine GPS/Radar/Mapping, etc.

I'm used to flying at 275K, so cruising at 10K at surface will
be a new experience. We should have everything necessary for
a good time. Looking at the nav charts, the SJ Islands are only
about 15nm apart. However, this area encompases multiple
cool places. So I need to figure out which places are cool
and those are not cool relative to safe harbor.

My concern is potable water and pump out. This was answered
already. We are advised to fill and dump every other day.
We can do that.

This will be our first encounter in the San Juans and looks
to be the beginning of more adventures in this marvelous area.

Oh...we have a crab pot and we will use it!!

gary g.

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:20:45 -0700, "R.W. Behan"
wrote:

Hey, Gary, we live here (on Fisherman Bay, Lopez Island) and let me say the
advice provided above is spot-on. If you can read charts and your depth
sounder, you have nothing to worry about. Water, pumpouts, food, diesel,
restaurants, even good booze is available in many, almost intervisible
locations and within walking distance. Y'all come, and enjoy yerse'f,
y'hear?

Dick Behan
LNVT "Annie"

"Gary G" see.signature@bottom wrote in message
.. .
Greetings:

We are going to be crusing the San Juan Islands in Sept in a 32'
dual Diesel cruiser from Anacortes WA. Any suggestions on a suitable
itinerary for this time of year?

We have not been to the San Juans before.

I'm concerned about potable water, pump out stations and docked power.
Since we are likely on the off-season, many of the normal high season
feature will not be present. If anyone has been in this area around
the same time, personal feedback is appreciated.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com
Gary G

wrote:

Greetings:

We are going to be crusing the San Juan Islands in Sept in a 32'
dual Diesel cruiser from Anacortes WA. Any suggestions on a suitable
itinerary for this time of year?

We have not been to the San Juans before.

I'm concerned about potable water, pump out stations and docked power.
Since we are likely on the off-season, many of the normal high season
feature will not be present. If anyone has been in this area around
the same time, personal feedback is appreciated.

Wow!! We just returned from a 7 day charter from Ship Harbor Yachts
in Anacortes Skyline marina on their Meridian Infinity II 34'. This
was our first time with a twin screw boat. We did one day (stressful)
for training and then less than a half day to finish up... we felt
confident about going it alone. We went to almost all of the San
Juan Islands' points. Roche Harbor is excellent. Friday Harbor was
good. I bought a T shirt in Roche Harbor. Unfortunately, it got
Diesel on it at Skyline Marina. Oh well, it is broken in.

Anyway, this is a marvelous area to cruise. We did not go to Canada
since we were not familiar with the customs thing. Next time, we
will likely go there. I heard of folks piled up waiting to get
through customs. What are they doing? (customs). What is the big
deal? I read of Canadian booze in Wagoners about WA/CAN booze. What
is the difference? Obviously it is a revenue issue. We bring booze
from CA. So, how does this fit in? Is booze wine, beer or high
octane spirits or all of the above? Strange. CA is just anything
goes.

We're thinking that a 39' Carver would be a very nice boat for the
area. The head is a difficult component. Having a VacuFlush system
might fix this. Our standard Meridian unit was clogged the first
day out and delayed our departure. No problem since I needed
training anyway--not on the head but on the boat!

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191