Rich Hampel

If you want to have a serious discussion, let's. But your earlier post
seemed mocking.

I'm an iconoclast at heart, I cant help myself. Whenever someone
states such and so is the correct true form ... usually means whats
currently in vogue' .... and soon to go out of 'vogue'.

There are plenty of instances of modern designs sticking out weather
that hammered more traditional boats, including (sadly) breaking up.

All depends on if the sailor KNOWS how to sail, doesnt it.

The original Colin Archer redningskoite designs were dependent on
reserve bouyancy forward and aft... an aside, they were also built as
lightly as possible given the technology of the times...

I dont think they were, my perception is that they were quite 'pinched'
on the ends, simply because one cant bend the strakes to include much
bustle in the ends.

OTOH it's also possible to have the volume in the wrong place, such as
those beautiful old fashioned counter sterns that are utter beasts at sea.

They weren NOT designed for 'comfort', they were designed as 'rule
beaters' .... and wound up with too much 'rocker' and extreme short
water line length when upright. The rule at the time penalized long
waterline length .......

Funny, all those racing boats have to be delivered to the starts and
from the finishes. Usually they have a tight schedule and are often out
in weather that's at least a little uncomfortable. If they were that
bad, then we'd be hearing news about them sinking and loss of life etc
etc. But not a whisper... is it a cover-up?

Essentially its is when you know how many designs destructively fail
and never make it to the race course at all.

Some people's "easy coastal passage" is another person's nightmare. It's
all relative. If you want to believe that open transoms are death traps
(and I've had several "old salt" types tell me exactly that) then be my
guest. But there isn't really much fact to support that position.

Except those that that have had their teeth loosened during a blow
riding on a wildly bucking, fat assed sled. Thanks, I prefer to go
below and simply wait it out. hmmmmmpf.

DSK

;-)
Roy Jose Lorr

DSK wrote:

Roy Jose Lorr wrote:
Yep, it gets rid of that easy to get at, easy to repair, nasty old ugly
rudder hangn from the transom.

There's no reason why a transom hung rudder couldn't be hung from an
open transom. Lots of racing boats have that exact arrangement... oh
wait, is that a dirty word?

How did 'racing boats' get into this?

I suppose you could design a mast hung rudder and with enough money,
build it. I'm sure there'd be much controversy pro and con in the water
holiday pulps but what the hey....

... Also does a swell job of reducing
living space in a given length.

??? Increasing reserve bouyancy aft increases interior space aft.

Scoop out the stern from above or below and you lose living space.

It's not those old fashioned counter sterns or double enders that have
whole staterooms tucked under the cockpit & quarters in 35 footers.

Whole staterooms in 35 footers? I guess that depends on your
definition of "stateroom".

... As for seaworthiness... the more
poops the better. Well, I suppose happy hour on the steps of a
swim cum fishing cum barbecue platform in mid ocean makes it
all worth it. Time to change the hood ornament.

Hood ornaments are dangerous... they block the drivers vision and they
gouge chunks out of unlucky pedestrians... not sure how that affects
behavior in following seas though.

Depends which way the trinket is facing.

JAXAshby

Don't fret... I promise not to look to you for help.

Don't fret... I promise not to look to you for help.

and if you were moral, you would not ask for anyone else's either. you are a
floatin accident looking for a rock.
JAXAshby

that is what you said, moose stored. changed your mind, or just can't remember
what you said from one day to the next?

well, for one, you think fitted cockpit cushions make a boat more

seaworthy.

Huh?

JAXAshby

geesh, dood, back to study with you. lunch isn't for another 45 minutes.

Can you say dementia?

moose stored, I believe the word used for someone like you who is terrified of
3 foot seas in a Tayana 37, yet intends to push the button on an EPIRB when the
beer runs low is "chicken****". You may have dementia as well, but we were not
discussing that.

JAXAshby

so, doug, what kind of "reserve bouyancy" did you "fitted cockpit cushions"
provide on your Hunter 19?

so, doug, where do the fitted cockpit cushions in that reserve bouyancy
concept?

They should fit between your ears nicely. An improvement over what's
there now.

DSK

JAXAshby

moose stored, you are pretty ignorant about sailing. maybe you want to read a
second, or even a third, book before you continue to post.

rhys wrote:
I gather Colvin hates the idea of getting pooped in a Jacuzzi-sized
cockpit. Well, who can blame him?

Roy Jose Lorr wrote:
Fitted cushion salesmen, for starters.

Or anyone who grasps the concept of sufficient reserve bouyancy coupled
with an open transom.

It's just amazing, if water gets in it runs right back out again quick
as a wink. And it's handy a lot of other ways, too.

Yep, it gets rid of that easy to get at, easy to repair, nasty old ugly
rudder hangn from the transom. Also does a swell job of reducing
living space in a given length. As for seaworthiness... the more
poops the better. Well, I suppose happy hour on the steps of a
swim cum fishing cum barbecue platform in mid ocean makes it
all worth it. Time to change the hood ornament.

JAXAshby

If conditions are that bad, then one would most prudently be either
reaching off under very small sail or else lying to a sea anchor.

doug, you need to get offshore someday.
JAXAshby

Oh yeah, that's *exactly* what it's like! Funny, in all the years of
sailing open transom boats, I never thought of that!

do0ugie, a hunter 19 ain't _exactly_ an open transom ocean racing boat. It is
a bay sailor for nice Sunday afternoons.

Tayana 37 Bulwark leaks mitch Cruising 1 May 5th 04 02:28 PM
More Tayana stuff Wendy Cruising 40 February 25th 04 04:45 AM
Nil's Teaching Offer Rick ASA 3 October 19th 03 06:38 AM
FS or Trade new 2002 percertion lucid - best offer couchonroof Whitewater 0 July 14th 03 11:40 PM