Roy Jose Lorr wrote:
rhys wrote:
So that means a few things: I want a cutter-rigged ketch.
I want steel, stable and Perkins or similar "big iron"
iesel. I want a pilothouse or a hard dodger, and preferably
center cockpit.

In his "Coastwise and Offshore Cruising Wrinkles", Tom Colvin
writes: "The supreme robber baron, vandal, thief, pirate, is
found aboard too often, threatening the safety of a proper
sea going vessel: the cockpit. It has no place at sea."

Does he mean the cockpit or the robber baron... has no place
at sea ?
Roy Jose Lorr

JAXAshby wrote:

to be unfraid of one's skills to handle a fine quality boat in rather easy
winds.

Making a realistic assessment of one's limitations is a form
of emotional and moral cowardice?

But a lot of the
fibreglass boats sold new today I wouldn't take into a 40 knot wind,

if you are afraid to take a Tayana 37 into a 40 knot wind *you* are a moral
reprobate for even thinking of going offshore in any boat. you are not
qualified. emotionally.

get a motorhome.

What are the 'emotional qualifications'?

rhys

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 05:37:17 GMT, Roy Jose Lorr
wrote:

In his "Coastwise and Offshore Cruising Wrinkles", Tom Colvin
writes: "The supreme robber baron, vandal, thief, pirate, is
found aboard too often, threatening the safety of a proper sea
going vessel: the cockpit. It has no place at sea."

I'm reading another Colvin book from the '70s at the moment. He's
dogmatic, but knowledgeable, or so I am thinking so far. I like center
cockpits for visibility and layout (they are less great for raising
the CE, alas), but I like them quite compact, with a bridgedeck and a
pretty small, easily sealed companionway.

At the other extreme is the very shallow, very wide, missing transom
look of a lot of performance boats. They accomplish the same thing in
different fashions: getting water and hence weight OFF or OUT OF the
boat in a hurry.

I gather Colvin hates the idea of getting pooped in a Jacuzzi-sized
cockpit. Well, who can blame him?

R.

Roy Jose Lorr

JAXAshby wrote:

no, but claiming one's talents are fine but then blaming a fine boat for being
inadequate in ordinary weather is.

Rightly or wrongly expressing an opinion of a boat's limitations
signifies moral and emotional cowardice?

--

The last stage of
utopian sentimentalism

Roy Jose Lorr

rhys wrote:

I gather Colvin hates the idea of getting pooped in a Jacuzzi-sized
cockpit. Well, who can blame him?

Fitted cushion salesmen, for starters.

rhys

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:21:05 GMT, Roy Jose Lorr
wrote:

rhys wrote:

I gather Colvin hates the idea of getting pooped in a Jacuzzi-sized
cockpit. Well, who can blame him?

Fitted cushion salesmen, for starters.

Well, every aftermarket boat sales job is a compromise, or so they say

R.

JAXAshby

hey, moose brain (what a weird addy you have. yuk!) "fitted cockpit cushions"
are considered any part of the required equipment on an ocean voyaging boat to
make it more seaworthy.

stay tied to the dock, dood.

Date: 8/19/2004 6:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Tayana 37 Bulwark leaks mitch Cruising 1 May 5th 04 02:28 PM
More Tayana stuff Wendy Cruising 40 February 25th 04 04:45 AM
Nil's Teaching Offer Rick ASA 3 October 19th 03 06:38 AM
FS or Trade new 2002 percertion lucid - best offer couchonroof Whitewater 0 July 14th 03 11:40 PM