Default How much to offer below MSRP (for a Tayana) ?

What percentage of manufacturer's suggested retail
should I offer for a 2003 Tayana sailboat which is
in good condition and has only been used as a demo ?

I know that the average selling price for brand new
motor homes (in the U.S.) is about 20 percent below
the MSRP but don't know if the same applies to boats.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Please reply
to the newsgroup. If there's a more appropriate group
to post this question please let me know. I've tried
the rec.boats.marketplace but my post didn't show up
because that group is moderated.

Also is it difficult to find experienced people to
help me sail my boat about halfway around the world
if I pay for all the living expenses ?

Don White

wrote in message
ink.net...

snip
Also is it difficult to find experienced people to
help me sail my boat about halfway around the world
if I pay for all the living expenses ?

A friend of mine based in the British Virgin Islands does a number
'deliveries' such as that but gets paid around $1K - $1.5K US per week PLUS
expenses.

snip
Also is it difficult to find experienced people to
help me sail my boat about halfway around the world
if I pay for all the living expenses ?

A friend of mine based in the British Virgin Islands
does a number 'deliveries' such as that but gets paid
around $1K - $1.5K US per week PLUS expenses.

Sorry I didn't write more clearly. I won't need anybody
to deliver the boat for me but was thinking about finding
a couple of very experienced people to go sailing with me
(since I still don't know how to sail :-)
JAXAshby

A friend of mine based in the British Virgin Islands
does a number 'deliveries' such as that but gets paid
around $1K - $1.5K US per week PLUS expenses.

$200/day, plus expenses, door to door.

Rich Hampel

Whoa!
A Tayana is NOT a boat that one 'learns' to sail on. These are big,
slow to maneuver, with lots of forces generated; not, something you can
just walk up to and learn to sail on in a couple of hours. The
learning curve from such a boat will be very slow and long. And if you
havent any prior sailing experience, can get into one hell of a lot of
trouble in a hurry.

Why not consider to first learn to sail in a lightweight dinghy of
16-20 ft. Such a boat because of its rapid 'response' will very
quickly develop your skills, etc. needed for a larger sailboat.
Without these prior skills, having a first time (ever) large boat is a
disaster waiting to happen.

A larger heavyweight sailboat is not very sensitive, is slow to react,
and many times will not have the rapid 'tactile' feedback needed to
properly and safely sail her over a wide range of conditions - from
almost dead calm to blammo. A large boat is a 'momentum machine' ; is
slow to react and doesnt have the instant 'feedback' as a small boat -
so your brain already full of ***prior sailing experience*** has to
fill in the 'gaps' on a such large/heavy boat like a Tayana.

You dont walk up to a Boeing 757 and begin to learn to fly on such a
complicated rig, you usually start out in small aircraft: safer, faster
learning, etc. ... same with sailboats.

Sorry to put a pin in your baloon. I suggest if you're in a hurry
that you get enrolled in an accredited sailing school, first. Start
small and then work your way 'up'. Otherwise you can get seriously
hurt or worse, etc.
Don White

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message
Whoa!
A Tayana is NOT a boat that one 'learns' to sail on. These are big,
slow to maneuver, with lots of forces generated; not, something you can
just walk up to and learn to sail on in a couple of hours.

snip

Good advice. My buddy let me take over the helm of a 75 foot wooden ketch
and was I surprised at the wheel response. I was fooling around trying to
steer by the compass leaving the harbour. The thing didn't seem to turn so I
over steered a couple of times. Before long the owner came marching back
giving me dirty looks. I gave the wheel back to my buddy who was captain at
that time.

Whoa!
A Tayana is NOT a boat that one 'learns' to sail on.
These are big, slow to maneuver, with lots of forces
generated; not, something you can just walk up to and
learn to sail on in a couple of hours. The learning
curve from such a boat will be very slow and long.
And if you havent any prior sailing experience, can
get into one hell of a lot of trouble in a hurry.

Thanks for the advice. I don't intend to sail this boat
myself until I know how to do this. I can either go and
take sailing lessons in smaller boats or spend a lot of
time watching other people show me how to sail this boat.

One reason for buying a boat is because I would like to
go and live near the ocean but can't afford a house near
the ocean at this time.

I've just read "The Voyage of the Northern Magic" which
is about a Canadian family sailing around the world in
a 40-year-old sailboat. Their entire sailing experience
before taking this journey consisted of 6 afternoons in
on the Ottawa River. (See www.northernmagic.com)
Rich Hampel

I can totally agree with those dreams. Problem is that those 'dont
make it' arent around to tell their story.

A Tayana is a very expensive 'house boat'.

By no means let me put a damper on your dreams. The best teacher is -
time on the water.

Good luck.

;-)

In article k.net,
wrote:

[...]

Dan Best

Good on ya!

Listen to what Rich says as he knows whereof he speaks. What he says is
true. You will learn to sail well much faster on a small boat.

It's true that if all you're interested in is getting the boat moving to
80% of it's potential, all you have to do it turn the wheel until you're
pointed in more or less the right direction then randomly fiddle with
the ropes until your moving. But that's a far cry from being able to
keep yourself and your passengers safe in all conditions. It's not that
sailing and seamanship is all that tough, it's just that you will find
most of the learning happens much faster and the mistakes are usually
less costly and dangerous on small boats. Neither the boat, nor the sea
are out to "get" you, but they can be coldly unforgiving of your mistakes.

Also, if anything, he minimizes the risks of learning to sail on such a
"momentum machine" (love that term, Rich!). This is not the boat to
begin learning how to maneuver around the docks in. If you try, you
will almost certainly cause some very expensive damage to your boat and
others and possibly injure people. Think of it as trying to learn to
drive in a fully loaded semi on wet ice in a crowded parking lot.

Another issue to consider, is that depending on where you want to be,
live aboard slips can be difficult or impossible to come by. Most
places around the SF bay have multi-year waiting lists for live aboard
slips (the marinas are limited to allowing a max of 10% of their slips
to be live aboards)

If you do proceed with your plan to get a Tayana, rest assured that you
will be getting a great boat. We've had ours for almost 3 years now and
love it.

Fair winds - Dan

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979

Tayana 37 Bulwark leaks mitch Cruising 1 May 5th 04 02:28 PM
More Tayana stuff Wendy Cruising 40 February 25th 04 04:45 AM
Nil's Teaching Offer Rick ASA 3 October 19th 03 06:38 AM
FS or Trade new 2002 percertion lucid - best offer couchonroof Whitewater 0 July 14th 03 11:40 PM