rhys

Default How much to offer below MSRP (for a Tayana) ?

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 04:22:50 GMT, wrote:

I've just read "The Voyage of the Northern Magic" which
is about a Canadian family sailing around the world in
a 40-year-old sailboat. Their entire sailing experience
before taking this journey consisted of 6 afternoons in
on the Ottawa River. (See
www.northernmagic.com)

Yes, and I spoke to Diane Stuemer shortly before she died, and she
admitted that this was in fact a foolish way to learn on a heavy
displacement boat. Her husband had some experience...she was
essentially the weak link, but learned quickly AND the hard way.

I think the tale of Northern Magic is very inspiring, but it is about
how the process of sailing with one's family and encountering foreign
peoples in distant places can be transformative...it is NOT in my
opinion a great book loaded with seamanship tips. The husband,
Herbert, seems to spend most of every chapter puking into the bilges
because he's trying to repair an alternator upside down in a heavy
following sea while his wife and kids hand-steer. Sorry, but if you
plan properly and don't insist on computers and refrigeration 24/7,
you don't spend much of your trip repairing expensive and dodgy
equipment. More than once they seem to have bought fifty kilos of
frozen meat, only to have the compressor or some related gadget fail
again. The Stuemers had a very interesting and memorable trip, but
their inexperience made it more difficult, IMO, than it needed to be,
if the book is anything to go by.

Give me a windvane and a can opener and maybe a Koolatron for the
beer, and I'll be a happier cruiser.

Having said that, I'm not a Luddite: radar and weatherfax and SSB are
the cruiser's mates, but more stuff means more complexity and more
crap that breaks in the middle of heavy weather.

R.

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On 11 Aug 2004 23:25:20 -0700, (Rolf) wrote:

I was asking around for somebody to help me sail a 45 ft boat back
from BVI to florida. I am a very experience sailor, this is the second
boat I will own and I have been sailing for 20 years. So I am the
captn and I just need a pair of hands to let me sleep. This might be
a one week trip, and was told that it would be relatively easy to fing
some one for $1000 plus expenses.

That sounds reasonable for a deckhand and watchstander. The problem
comes in when you have somebody waiting with you for a weather window
or a diesel mechanic at $150 a day plus meals. Having been the
recipient of such largesse on occasion, I can only say, "Thanks!" In
the OP's case, I'd might insist on being there for provisioning and
boat prep anyway.

In your case I think they would consider this a "delivery". Many
deliveries are made with the owner on board sharing in the work. This
does not make it cheaper.

In my case, it makes me reluctant to take the job. An inexperienced
hand on a crossing is not much of an asset. Might even be a net
liabilty. Also, if you keep having to replay the "You're the owner,
but I'm the captain!" discussion every time there's a decision to be
made, it gets old.

In addition if you expect them to give you sailing lessons, this would
be extra.
I think that it will be difficult to find somebody who can take
responsibility of the boat and expect them to do it for free. Since
you don't know how to sail nobody will accept that you can
responsibility for the boat.

Right. I'd add one word though, just for clarity. I think that it
will be difficult to find somebody *competent* who can take
responsibility of the boat and expect them to do it for free. You can
sometimes find someone looking for a ride home or an adventure.
Whether you'll be glad to have them aboard after a week or so is a
different question.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at
http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
JAXAshby

I am not sure what you are saying, rolf. What I am saying is if you want my
services, it is $200/day from the time my feet hit the tarmac to the time I
head out to the airport on the way back, plus expenses. I'm a good guy, Rolf,
for most won't do a delivery with the owner onboard.

A friend of mine based in the British Virgin Islands
does a number 'deliveries' such as that but gets paid
around $1K - $1.5K US per week PLUS expenses.

$200/day, plus expenses, door to door.

[...]

Don White

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I am not sure what you are saying, rolf. What I am saying is if you want

my
services, it is $200/day from the time my feet hit the tarmac to the time

head out to the airport on the way back, plus expenses. I'm a good guy,

Rolf,
for most won't do a delivery with the owner onboard.

** You got that right. I had to laugh at one story my buddy told.
The owner tried to leave our harbour one fall with a cheaper 2nd rate
'captain'. They ran aground before clearing the port. They limped back in
and my buddy was hired for the job on the following weeks departure. Seems
the owner thought he knew more than Vic, and after numerous heated
arguments, Vic threatened to lock the owner up in his cabin.
More trouble on the way back in the spring. After a rash of bad luck, storm
damage etc Vic arrived in Halifax with the boat. The owner blamed Vic for
the trouble and refused to reimburse him for out of pocket emergency
repairs. Vic went to see a lawyer friend and threatened seizure of the boat
if he wasn't paid. The hostile owner was boxed in and had to pay up after
the lawyer informed him that the damages would multiply if full blown legal
action was taken.

Rolf

I read the book with great interest. I am thinking that this is a
great adventure story where they took great risks. They got away with
it because the husband is a very great "fixer" After all how many
people would know how to rewire an alternator? They are also very
lucky. The third thing they did was that the husband taught the wife
how to sail all the way out from Ottawa. They first motored a long
way before they put up the mast and then they just did some costal
cruising before they went into blue water. The husband ceratinly knew
a lot about boating since they selected exactly the right kind of
boat.
Still I wonder would I have takem my two young kids and an
inexperinced wife on this trip? I probably would have considered far
too risky for my taste.

rhys wrote in message . ..
[...]

rhys

On 12 Aug 2004 21:25:43 -0700, (Rolf) wrote:

Still I wonder would I have takem my two young kids and an
inexperinced wife on this trip? I probably would have considered far
too risky for my taste.

WARNING: SEMI-TOPICAL RANT...

I have mixed feelings today.

I just got beat to the "offer" stage on a 41 foot steel pilothouse
ketch that was for sale at a reasonable price at my club...more or
less under my nose, but I didn't see it until another buyer was close
to offering the PO's price. Buying now is two years too early for me
(gotta finish the mortgage!), but when I start shopping, I'll have a
five year old son and possibly a one year old or younger. I plan on
going when Son No. 1 is six or seven, and to "boat school" like the
Stuemers until the boy is 12 or 13 and to circumnavigate in the
interim, living off writing (yes, I know, but I'm already a
journalist, so I think I have a shot at travel writing) and "diesel
and repair money" from renting out our house.

So that means a few things: I want a cutter-rigged ketch. I want
steel, stable and Perkins or similar "big iron" diesel. I want a
pilothouse or a hard dodger, and preferably center cockpit. I want a
skeg hung rudder, and a modified long keel. I want 38-45 feet, and
room for a small workshop. The hull must be super clean and all
structures must have unbroken epoxy or similar coatings to inhibit
rust...foam tends to disguise things.

After that, I'm not picky...the interior can be crap, nice or even
absent. I would prefer to modify than to build, but the fact is that
my best shot at something appropriate is a half-finished Roberts-style
boat done nicely by an old guy who had a clue but has lost interest,
gotten sick or died.

Surprisingly, there are dozens of boats around like this. Some are
superbly done and sail nicely, but have interiors of plywood and
outdoor carpeting over 2 X 4 benches G

That's the boat for me, as it would take two years and $20,000 to do
the interior to my tastes, which are more systems than entertainment
oriented.

All this is to make a safe and comfortable passagemaker that will
mitigate somewhat a less-experienced wife and small kids, who
nonetheless will probably stand half-watches and do navigation by nine
or ten years of age.

The wife is already a keen Great Lakes sailor, but is weak in
terminology, brute strength and familiarity with engines. All that can
be remedied with time and drive, and she's the daughter of a boat
builder and fearless about the foredeck and going up the mast.

Here's a suggestion: let the wife helm and dock as often as possible.
It's good confidence building, and the real art is in sail-tweaking
and navigation, anyway G.

Everything's a risk, including going nuts and driving yourself to an
early grave in a compromised office job. My wife and I have decided
that the risk of taking kids offshore during our "prime earning years"
is very much worth it when compared to the regret of not doing it at
all, or not being able to do it in our sixties due to age, illness or
family duties. I'm 43, she's 30...we want to be gone by the time I'm
47 and she's 34 and back (if ever) when I'm 53 or so.

My mother died at 68 in 2002, never having travelled much, despite
having had the money, because there were always obstacles, real or
imagined. My father at 80 is now alone and pretty much fixing to die.
I suppose if he leaves me their estate I could buy a house or two and
become a land-locked tinpot slum lord, but I think the best tribute to
their memory is to "carpe diem" and get a steel boat and give my
kid(s) the kind of childhood very few children experience, one full or
learning, adventure and real responsibility.

The late Diane Stuemer may not have been the best sailor, but she
learned enough to survive, and her kids had an enviable few years at
sea. Her husband, maybe less so, but I doubt he'd trade it for all the
fixed alternators in the world.

Don't give your kids Gameboys. Better a sextant!

So get the boat and go, my friend.
R.

rhys wrote:
So that means a few things: I want a cutter-rigged
ketch. I want steel, stable and Perkins or similar
"big iron" diesel. I want a pilothouse or a hard
dodger, and preferably center cockpit.

So if I want to sail to Tahiti and South East Asia
one day (would it be a bad idea to get a fiberglass
boat (like a Tayana) or is this what most people do
anyway ?
Jonathan

Plenty of people sail all over the world in fiberglass boats, wooden
boats and steel boats, and have wonderful trips.

There are/is a school of thought that is focused on the steel or
aluminum boat as the "ideal" because it might survive an encounter with
a reef. The odds of testing that theory, if you are a careful sailor
should be fairly small, hence the success rate of other types of
construction.

What you do want is a boat built sturdily enough to take a fair amount
of abuse. In the Sydney/Hobart race that got hit hard, a couple of boats
essentially collapsed under the weight of waves breaking on board.
But that too should be an uncommon rather than a common occurrence. The
Hiscocks sailed thousands of miles in various boats, and claimed they
never hit a survival storm because of good planning. Dave Martin
circumnavigated in a reinforced Cal 25, starting a family on the way. He
and his wife Jaja cruised for years with infants in arms and toddlers.
Check out the Martin chronicles on SetSail.com:
http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin.html

Check out the cruising logs at: http://cruisenews.net/index.php

All kinds of people, all kinds of boats and materials. The common
denominator? They all managed to take in the docklines and go......

Have fun,

Jonathan

Tayana 37 Bulwark leaks mitch Cruising 1 May 5th 04 02:28 PM
More Tayana stuff Wendy Cruising 40 February 25th 04 04:45 AM
Nil's Teaching Offer Rick ASA 3 October 19th 03 06:38 AM
FS or Trade new 2002 percertion lucid - best offer couchonroof Whitewater 0 July 14th 03 11:40 PM