Parallax

Default Stevenson Projects Micro-Cup

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
(Parallax) wrote in message om...
(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
(Andrew Butchart) wrote in message . com...
(Parallax) wrote in message om...
snip not have time to draw the curves. I am a little worried about
cutting
the luan even with taping both sides of each cut because I have seen
similar stuff splinter (cutting doors).

Will try to finish the lofting tomorrow evening.

I use a circular saw with a plywood cutting blade and have few
problems. Set the blade so that it just barely cuts through the wood
and you shouldn't have any problems.

FYI - I would suggest waiting to cut out the decks until you have the
rest of the hull assembled, a few people (including me) have had
problems with the pieces fitting at that point. Also, there is an
extra measurement you want to do on your fore and aft bulkheads to
make sure they match the side bulkheads at the correct location. A
few people (including me) have had problems with that.

Also, even though I used fir myself for my MiniCup, I have since
switched to spruce which is much cheaper where I live and works almost
as well.

Good luck with the project.

Andrew Butchart

Thanks for the advice as I had planned to cut out the decks tomorrow but will wait.

Day 2. Finished drawing the decks and cockpit.

Day 3. Drew the bulkheads and transoms

I am only drawing one set of deck and bulk/transom drawings because I
plan to use the first set as a template to draw the second (am making
two boats). I did draw two sets of sides and cebterboard well sides.

Fri: Just made the joiner piece for the hull bottom. Couldnt find a
batten long enough to make the curve so first calculated the radii of
curvature and tried to draw the curves using a pen tied on a long
string. Apparently too much stretch in the string. Found a piece of
long thin stock at work and used it to draw the curve. Cut two of
them out (two boats) on a bandsaw and finished them on a table sander.

Fri. evening: Cut out most of the pieces from the luan. This project
will def. take longer than I thought. It is surprising how little
time I have to work on it. (3 kids and running a small business,
maybe I was unrealistic). It is going well anyway. Got the bottoms
glued and screwed to the joiners. How did ppl do things like this
before power screwdrivers, wow!
Backyard Renegade

Just a tip. Anything that can be cut or left a little big and will not
be a problem shaping later, should be left as so. If you make all the
edges finish and tight, you will end up having to knock it down more
than the plan calls for later after turning and working around the
boat. I always leave ends long, edges unfinished etc, wait till you
are ready for finish, before you finish. Impatience and the will to
see something look like a beautiful boat will only cause anguish
later. I always tell folks, "yes, I am builing your boat, but you
don't want to see her now". Wait till she looks like a boat!
Scotty from SmallBoats.com
Brian Combs

The poly glues are very good and they are water activated. make sure that
you have a decent fit though as the foamed glue is not very strong.

Brian

Brian Combs

By the way, you are making good progress. Keep it up.

Brian

Parallax

"Brian Combs" wrote in message ...
By the way, you are making good progress. Keep it up.

Brian

Brian, Thanks.

I know very little about woodworking, all my past fabrication
experience has been with metal instrumentation with tiny watchlike
parts with very close tolerances so working with wood is a new
experience. I find that the parts do not fit as well as I like. Will
the joints be smoothed at the end and filled? There are gaps where
edges do not exactly meet etc. This seems unavoidable because it is
almost impossible to get measurements better than 1/16 in wood and
probably no better than 1/8" (ok, make it 1/4" for me). So far, I am
pleased but maybe I just have low expectations for my own woodworking.

I expected to get some work done today but was sidetracked by Easter
and family.

David
bookieb

(Andrew Butchart) wrote in message . com...

snip
I use a circular saw with a plywood cutting blade and have few
problems. Set the blade so that it just barely cuts through the wood
and you shouldn't have any problems.

Ditto, no problems with 28 tooth 7" blade, but it may depend on the
ply you have.

snip
FYI - I would suggest waiting to cut out the decks until you have the
rest of the hull assembled, a few people (including me) have had
problems with the pieces fitting at that point. Also, there is an
extra measurement you want to do on your fore and aft bulkheads to
make sure they match the side bulkheads at the correct location. A
few people (including me) have had problems with that.

Aghhh! Me to. About 2' back from bow, the boat as I built it, is
about 1" wider each side than the forward deck panel. I might be able
to pull it in with a ratcheting strap, but I don't want to force in
that level of stress. Pulling in the sides may also cause the the
seams at the bottom chine to open a little.
I'll probably end up buying another sheet of ply, fitting it cut well
oversize, and triming down last of all. Lesson learned (hopefully).

I was flying along, but a new addition to the family put a halt to the
gallop for a while. Hope to get moving again soon, and be finished in
time for the summer.

Andrew has more practical knowledge than me (having finished his), but
any questions, let me know.

Best of luck,

Bookieb.
Parallax

[...]

Got the stringers glued and screwed to the bulkheads today and to the
cockpit sides (mostly) before running out of screws. I am a little
worried because the curvature of the bulkheads seems more than the
curvature of the hull botom but I imagine strap clamps will cause the
hull bottom to bend some.
I feel as if I have bathing in this glue.

BookieB:

I appreciate hearing about your experience too. This the first thing
I have ever really built from wood so I am really learning as I go.

I finally got the fwd and aft bulkheads and cockpit sides glued to
their stringers, cut notches in the ends of the bulkheads, etc. I
hope I got the stringers oriented correctly, if not, the sabre saw
will do the job.
After coating my hands with this glue (after two days and every kind
of solvent I can find, it still will not come off without taking off
skin although it is wearing off), I have decided to go slower. A less
frantic pace will lead to fewer errors and a nicer job. I spent some
time using the surform tool on the bulkhead stringers to make things
really smooth and even.

My wife says she is impressed although she may just be humoring me and
wondering if I have gone nuts.