William R. Watt

Default Stevenson Projects Micro-Cup

Parallax ) writes:

After getting new glasses so I wouldnt have to try to sail using
underwater currents instead of wind, I managed to get the bow deck on
#1. It isnt pretty and the luan is seriously cracking but I plan to
glass over those. I need serious amounts of epoxy filler.

I got bow gussets on #1.

I put together two rudder boxes.

Let's hope you are getting better at boats than newsgroup articles.
Do you know how to delete what's been written before?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Parallax

(Andrew Butchart) wrote in message . com...
(Parallax) wrote in message . com...

A "Closet Boatbuilder", whodathunkit? I thought being a sailor with a
caving problem was bad. Does the American Psychiatric Assocoation
list this as just a disorder or a full blown mental illness? Might
explain why I cant stop trying to improve on that folding dinghy I saw
on the net.
BTW, I didnt realize Andrew Buttchart's role in all this till I read
the BYYB site. Thanks Andrew. How do I join the BYYB?
Raining off and on so I cannot put the deck on #1 so I am working on
parts for #2. Do I dare try painting with oil base paint on a rainy
night? Might not dry properly but it is on the inside and I would
like to get the deck on this weekend.
I know that part of this project is guilt for paying somebody else to
do work on my big boat (28' S2 sailboat). Have never paid anybody to
work on my boat but the distance I would have to drive to work on her
and never having right tools on hand made it seem like the right thing
to do (a bad decision).

Sorry for the delay - I'm not watching UseNet very closely these days.
We'd be happy to have you on the BYYB - there should be a link on the
left hand side of the main web page at
http://www.byyb.org And of
course you can feel free to participate in our web forums without
joining - there are a couple of MiniCup builders there.

Andrew Butchart

Andrew:

Unfortunately, that link tries to take me through Outlook Express and
that does not work for me. A simple e-mail address would be better if
it is available.

David
Parallax

[...]

Sorry William Watt, I am a computer illiterate physicist.
Parallax

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
(Andrew Butchart) wrote in message . com...
(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
(Andrew Butchart) wrote in message . com...

Sorry for the delay - I'm not watching UseNet very closely these days.
We'd be happy to have you on the BYYB - there should be a link on the
left hand side of the main web page at
http://www.byyb.org And of
course you can feel free to participate in our web forums without
joining - there are a couple of MiniCup builders there.

Andrew Butchart

Andrew:

Unfortunately, that link tries to take me through Outlook Express and
that does not work for me. A simple e-mail address would be better if
it is available.

David

You can contact the secretary at
however one of the
main benefits of the BYYB is it's online web forums which you should
be able to get to by opening your web browser to
http://www.byyb.org

Andrew Butchart

Got the centerboards and rudders cut out. Faired the edges (chines?
never been certain what were chines)of #1 with surform, looks ok.
Applied fibreglas tape to some edges.

Considering lessening the length of daggerboard for shoal draft, will
wait till I try the standard length.

As the plans say, getting the aluminum mast is difficult. I tried the
local Metal Supermarkets, plans say 16' of 2-2.375" .065 wall Al
tubing. All they could get was 2" .125 wall thickness. Considered
using it but it would flop around in the big mast hole so found a
place on internet selling 2.25" .065 wall in 16' length for $109,
other two pieces for the lateen rig will be 12' 2" .o65 wall for $95
each for a total of $299 for each boat......WOW. No idea what
shipping will cost. Any ideas anyone? Should I use the 2" .125 wall
from Metal Supermarkets (essentially free since they owe me money)?
William R. Watt

Parallax ) writes:

As the plans say, getting the aluminum mast is difficult. I tried the
local Metal Supermarkets, plans say 16' of 2-2.375" .065 wall Al
tubing. All they could get was 2" .125 wall thickness. Considered
using it but it would flop around in the big mast hole so found a
place on internet selling 2.25" .065 wall in 16' length for $109,
other two pieces for the lateen rig will be 12' 2" .o65 wall for $95
each for a total of $299 for each boat......WOW. No idea what
shipping will cost. Any ideas anyone? Should I use the 2" .125 wall
from Metal Supermarkets (essentially free since they owe me money)?

depends on what you are doing for sails. there will be some difference in
mast bend which is usually taken into consideration in the cut of the
sail. I would use the free material and if not satisfied replace with the
other next year. I doubt it would make much difference to the pleasure and
enjoyment of the boats the first year or two. The extra thickness of the
walls certainly removes any concern about strength. A bit of extra weight
aloft should also not matter at this stage.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
bookieb

As the plans say, getting the aluminum mast is difficult. I tried the
local Metal Supermarkets, plans say 16' of 2-2.375" .065 wall Al
tubing. All they could get was 2" .125 wall thickness. Considered
using it but it would flop around in the big mast hole so found a
place on internet selling 2.25" .065 wall in 16' length for $109,
other two pieces for the lateen rig will be 12' 2" .o65 wall for $95
each for a total of $299 for each boat......WOW. No idea what
shipping will cost. Any ideas anyone? Should I use the 2" .125 wall
from Metal Supermarkets (essentially free since they owe me money)?

Hi,

just did a few numbers (everything in decimal inches/ sq. / cu. as
appropriate), and assuming the same density of aluminium in each, just
to compare the tubes.:
1.56 oz./cu. in. is just an encyclopedia value for the density of
aluminium (2700Kg/cu. M).
Based on a 16" length.

Recomended tubing:
Diameter 2.375
Outside Radius 1.1875
Outside Area 4.430136515
Wall Thickness 0.065
Inside Radius 1.1225
Inside Area 3.958426378
C/S Area 0.471710137
Volume of 192" 90.56834629
1.56oz/cu. In. 141.2866202
Pounds 8.830413763

Metals Supermarket tubing:
Diameter 2
Outside Radius 1
Outside Area 3.141592654
Wall Thickness 0.125
Inside Radius 0.875
Inside Area 2.405281875
C/S Area 0.736310778
Volume of 192" 141.3716694
1.56oz/cu. In. 220.5398043
Pounds 13.78373777

Someone might check that over - I'm a metric kid, and these ancient
mariner inches, rods, bushels etc. confuse me no end. Alternatively,
I may have just made a hames of the numbers.

Tubing you're suggesting is 55% heavier than the suggested tubing.
It'll also be up pretty high -a 5metre length of this forms the upper
spar of the lateen rig, and it's held up pretty high at the aft end.

Someone more clued in than me could tell you how the difference in
radius and wall thickness would affect strength and stiffness
(stiffness increasing in proportion to square of radius or somthing?).

Generally, the worst place for more weight is up high.

However...

....the building notes are pretty slack when it comes to specifying
tubing for the masts.

You're still within the 2"-2.375" range per the plans.

They suggest everything from irrigation piping to car exhaust
sections.
They also say that if the tubing is too flexible, it can be stiffened
with a baton of wood running along the line of stress (fore-and-aft in
most of the tubes), so there's probably a fair margin of safety in the
measurments.

As usual, it's up to you. I'd hate to say it looks Ok, then have the
rig come down on your head in the first stiff breeze you go out in.

If you you do use the smaller tubing, just shim the mast hole, but
make the shims removable - stick em' in with a few blobs of silicone
on the back so that they'll stay where they are, but can easily be
pried off if required.

Seems you've still got a fair bit of finishing, filling and painting
to do before you need the masts anyway, so I'd keep looking round for
a bit, rather than blast ahead when you could get better stuff.

Regards,

bookieb.