Parallax

Default Stevenson Projects Micro-Cup

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
(Parallax) wrote in message om...
(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
(Andrew Butchart) wrote in message . com...
(Parallax) wrote in message om...
snip not have time to draw the curves. I am a little worried about
cutting
the luan even with taping both sides of each cut because I have seen
similar stuff splinter (cutting doors).

Will try to finish the lofting tomorrow evening.

I use a circular saw with a plywood cutting blade and have few
problems. Set the blade so that it just barely cuts through the wood
and you shouldn't have any problems.

FYI - I would suggest waiting to cut out the decks until you have the
rest of the hull assembled, a few people (including me) have had
problems with the pieces fitting at that point. Also, there is an
extra measurement you want to do on your fore and aft bulkheads to
make sure they match the side bulkheads at the correct location. A
few people (including me) have had problems with that.

Also, even though I used fir myself for my MiniCup, I have since
switched to spruce which is much cheaper where I live and works almost
as well.

Good luck with the project.

Andrew Butchart

Thanks for the advice as I had planned to cut out the decks tomorrow but will wait.

Day 2. Finished drawing the decks and cockpit.

Day 3. Drew the bulkheads and transoms

I am only drawing one set of deck and bulk/transom drawings because I
plan to use the first set as a template to draw the second (am making
two boats). I did draw two sets of sides and cebterboard well sides.

Fri: Just made the joiner piece for the hull bottom. Couldnt find a
batten long enough to make the curve so first calculated the radii of
curvature and tried to draw the curves using a pen tied on a long
string. Apparently too much stretch in the string. Found a piece of
long thin stock at work and used it to draw the curve. Cut two of
them out (two boats) on a bandsaw and finished them on a table sander.

Fri. evening: Cut out most of the pieces from the luan. This project
will def. take longer than I thought. It is surprising how little
time I have to work on it. (3 kids and running a small business,
maybe I was unrealistic). It is going well anyway. Got the bottoms
glued and screwed to the joiners. How did ppl do things like this
before power screwdrivers, wow!