posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

On 7 Oct, 22:49, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
The food in Greece is awful. A month there will probably
be good for you.

We had great food in Greece on three separate trips. Try spending some
money next time.

You don't have much choice in the smaller harbours!
In fact, you don't have any choice. The menu is the
same in almost all the restaurants.

Regards

Donal
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 7 Oct, 22:48, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
I wonder why you think that a Corbin 39 would be more suitable than
Heart of Gold for coastal cruising??

The reason you wonder that is because you've never spent a rainy week
on a boat, nor do you comprehend how a boat like the Corbin is far
superior underway in air above 15 knots, nor do you understand that
the Corbin is a different boat altogether. The 35s5 or your fun little
toy are great boats. I like them a lot, but they simply don't do
everything well.

Quite right! My boat wouldn't be perfect for a transatlantic
crossing in hurricane season. However, you don't want a boat
that is so slow that you cannot be bothered to attempt longer
trips.

Regards

Donal

posted to alt.sailing.asa

--

Our boats are also far from perfect in colder weather or in the rain
or in heavy air. I love my 35s5 for her ability to respond and
accelerate, but that's something we can always enjoy aboard other
boats. The Corbin 39 is not slow and is a much better platform if
you're staying aboard for more than a weekend. This season I spent
considerable time sailing heavier designs and learned to appreciate
what they're all about. As an owner of a first series Beneteau I have
nothing bad to say about them. Yesterday I took heart of Gold out in
12-14 knots. I was alone so I just put up the big kevlar bat-wing
main. She sailed great and I had a nice relaxing time with the boat
moving well. The Corbin could NOT do this of course, but that's not
what she was built to do either. Last week I went out in a Cape Dory
33 in 25-30 knots. Sure, I could sail my 35s5 in those conditions, but
it would be hectic at times and I'd be reefed to the bone. The CD33
barely noticed with a single reef and the staysail.

RB

RB
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote:
We had great food in Greece on three separate trips.

Evidence suggests that you really don't have much of a discriminating
palate

.... Try spending some
money next time.

I didn't realize it was possible to travel to Greece for free

One thing I love about the Internet, learn something every day!

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

, wrote:
The food in Greece is awful. * A month there will probably
be good for you.

OzOne wrote:
What no roast beef and yorkshire pud?
How can you not like fresh vegetables,fish and olive oil?

Gets a little monotonous after a while.
Plus, the Med is a cesspool. I personally would not care to eat fish
from it.

wrote:
I enjoy eating abroad. *The problem with Greece is that it is the same
vegetables and fish every day. *The only meat in most places is goat,
and I cannot stand the smell of it.

Careful there... in all Med cultures, insinuating that person eats
goat is a deadly insult.
Of course, the climate and land is such that goats are about the only
livestock that can thrive there, so pretty much everybody is a goat-
eater. Hope it's safe to say that from this distance!

Or did you go to a tourist town where they cater .. badly, to tourists
with replicas of food that the tourist would eat at home?
Soggy fish and chips and pizza with 1" thick base?

The best pizza I've ever had was in northern Greece.
Also, the best C&W band I've ever heard was in a poinky bar outside
Athens (Lifadah).

It was a sailing holiday. * We ate in small local restaurants
near the harbours.

The food in Turkey is a bit better, and has the advantage
that the people who work in restaurants know how to smile.

Did you go to the compound?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Of course the hilarious thing is that LIS is the last place you'd want a
boat that's "far superior underway in air above 15 knots."

Dave, you must not sail on the sound much at all. In addition to
losing all of your money, you continue to expose yourself. Today is a
nice quiet day on the LIS and quite near to me is execution rocks.

http://www.mysound.uconn.edu/exrx_wx.html

At this moment it's 9-11 knots, ideal for my 35s5, but still very
sailable for a boat like the Corbin 39. Usually by 3:00 it kicks up
and lately we've had days that were better for heavier boats. That
said, the Corbin's rig is reasonable and just fine for sailing these
waters. The Pilot House will also open up more weekend sails for us.

RB

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 8, 12:09*pm, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 11:50:28 -0400, said:

Not really true, Dave. LIS is actually one of the places of highest
average *wind on the east coast. A couple months in the middle of
summer are somewhat quiet, but go sailing in the "off season", as some
folks do, *and you'll be surprised at what you find. I have a few
friends who keep their boats in all winter. T

Average wind is, of *course, significant if you are going to sail year
round. Most of us don't, however, and I'd be surprised if BS intends to. The
prime sailing months on the Sound tend to have fairly light winds. In fact,
I was going to suggest in the earlier message that a boat with
characteristics more like your C&C 27 with its generous sail area would
probably be a better choice.

I can only go by the actual sailing I do. A lot of it is on the
weekends. A friend here has a Cape Dory 30. There are plenty of days
suited for his boat. When winds are light he can still sail, though
slowly. When winds are heavy my 35s5 is often not a great pick if I
can go out on a heavier boat, Next we have a CC Endevour with a custom
pilothouse. The advantages for the Corbin are pretty broad.

RB
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 8 Oct, 13:11, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
On Oct 8, 7:15 am, wrote:

On 7 Oct, 22:48, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

[...]

I don't disagree with what you have written. However, a business
acquaintance has recently sold his Halberg Rassey and
replaced it with a Janneau. Both boats were about 42 feet.

When I expressed my surprise, he explained the the Rassey had
been perfect for his transAtlantic crossing, but he really couldn't
be
bothered spending 17 hours crossing the channell. (12- 13 hours in
a Janneau).

Last year I was seriously considering a Malo. It would have been
very luxurious, and very comfortable. I really, really wanted a Malo.
However, I now realise that I wouldn't have used it as much as I use
Setanta.

It would have been far too slow for seroius use in the English
Channel.
It would have been capable of short(3 hour) trips, or long
( 3 day trips). In between, it would have been worse than useless.

regards

Donal