posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

OzOne wrote:

We had good Oz beef regularly...

Good Oz beef, contradiction in terms,

Or did you go to a tourist town where they cater .. badly, to tourists
with replicas of food that the tourist would eat at home?
Soggy fish and chips and pizza with 1" thick base?

It was a sailing holiday. We ate in small local restaurants
near the harbours.

Yep, there are quite a few, and usually very good.
The food in Turkey is a bit better, and has the advantage
that the people who work in restaurants know how to smile.

They smile at Australians :-)

Greeks do that when they are amused.

Cheers
Martin
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 21:32:43 -0400, Marty wrote:

OzOne wrote:

We had good Oz beef regularly...

Good Oz beef, contradiction in terms,

Obviously you jest.

Or did you go to a tourist town where they cater .. badly, to tourists
with replicas of food that the tourist would eat at home?
Soggy fish and chips and pizza with 1" thick base?
It was a sailing holiday. We ate in small local restaurants
near the harbours.

Yep, there are quite a few, and usually very good.
The food in Turkey is a bit better, and has the advantage
that the people who work in restaurants know how to smile.

They smile at Australians :-)

Greeks do that when they are amused.

Yes indeed, they enjoy our company...

Cheers
Martin

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Corbin ................................ LOL.................
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 9, 1:47 am, Ringmaster wrote:
Corbin ................................ LOL.................

I sailed one this summer, SLOWco. Have you ever sailed one?

Hmmmmm?

RB

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 9, 1:47 am, Ringmaster wrote:
Corbin ................................ LOL.................

BTW, Sloco.....We had a Depressed 30 at our docks for a few weeks.
Nice owners, which was a surprise. They bought the boat as a stop-gap,
which I found hilarious. The boat is quick, but on a reach my 35s5
passed them as did my friend's 30/30. They then added better sails
from UK and the boat STILL couldn't keep up with us. Not exactly
shocking since my boat is larger and with my shallow draft they could
point slightly higher, though not as good as the 30/30. The interior
is awful, quite depressed as the name suggests. But why buy one when a
J30 offers a far nicer interior and more hulls to play with? The 30/30
is both faster and FAR better looking. Of course my boat is faster and
about 100 times better looking and nicer to be aboard.
Not matter. I heard you finally bought a nice boat and sold the
depress 30 at last. Good for you! What did you buy?

RB

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
On Oct 9, 1:47 am, Ringmaster wrote:
Corbin ................................ LOL.................

Seems to me the boat desired, needed, required, etc. depends on the use to
which it will be put. RB agrees, I think, since he changes boats every few
years, and we know he can afford any boat his heart desires.

Crab crushers have their uses and in some roles are the very best boat for
the task at hand.

Can we not discuss the pros and cons of a particular boat, its uses etc.
without the "my boat is superior to yours?" Frankly, I would like insights
into the relative merits of boats for particular uses. If more people here
would dispassionately discuss boats, I would find this newsgroup more useful
and interesting.

I know RB, Marty, Oz, Doug, Ringmaster, JG and others have enough knowledge
to discuss boats intelligently. It is a shame there isn't more of it.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 9 Oct, 18:53, "jlrogers±³©" wrote:
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, none of us can offer advice outside of our experience. RB
sails
within a mile of his marina with a "family" crew. Oz, as far as I
can see,
races single class boats. Doug, seems to be a racer of "20
something"
foot yachts. Likewise, Ringmaster races a particular boat.

JG, probably has as much general expereince as any of
us.

My experience is mainly based on a single boat. Fortunately,
I seem to have made the right choice. All of us will
give advice that we think will help *you* to make the
right choice. Unfortunately, my "right choice" may not
be your "right choice".

As I see it, you have two choices.
1) Go for your ultimate boat!
2) Buy something "safe" so that you can learn
about your real requirements.

My advice is to take choice 2).

However, when I bought my boat I took option
1). It worked for me.

I think that it all depends on how confident you
feel about your ability to define your own ultimate
yacht.

Regards

Donal
posted to alt.sailing.asa

I would say that while I have a fairly diverse sailing CV, Doug probably has
a more extensive one, as does Bart, and a couple of others. I don't have
long-term, deep water experience, at least not over a couple of weeks worth
in one shot. I think I also have a fairly decent level of experience with
different makes and models. I think the best method of picking a boat to own
is to sail lots of different boats. That's what I tell my students. It's not
clear to me how much experience BS has in this regard because it's hard to
separate the BS from BS.

I'm not a big fan of pilot house boats... lots of windage and potential for
losing portlights in bad conditions.

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

[...]

"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:10:50 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

I would say that while I have a fairly diverse sailing CV, Doug probably has
a more extensive one, as does Bart, and a couple of others. I don't have
long-term, deep water experience, at least not over a couple of weeks worth
in one shot. I think I also have a fairly decent level of experience with
different makes and models. I think the best method of picking a boat to own
is to sail lots of different boats. That's what I tell my students. It's not
clear to me how much experience BS has in this regard because it's hard to
separate the BS from BS.

I'm not a big fan of pilot house boats... lots of windage and potential for
losing portlights in bad conditions.

The Corbin, while a pilot house, doesn't really suffer from excess
windage as badly as the typical pilot house configuration. The
topsides are a little tall, but other than the small pilot house, the
rest of the boat is a flush deck. The pilot house is pretty much the
only thing that sticks up higher than the gunwhales. It's also got a
reputation as being a very tough boat. People cruise the high
latitudes with them.