BoatBanter.com

-   -   My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick???? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/98842-my-new-boat-what-did-rb-pick.html)

Capt. Rob October 7th 08 01:29 AM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

Well, here I am with a 4 year old son and he's simply awesome!
But long sails just don't work for us these days and we mainly daysail
and weekend aboard Heart of Gold.

We've decided to try some real cruising when Thomas turns 6 or 7 and
to that end we've been looking at many boats, used and new. Before
that purchase we're going to spend a month or so sailing in Greece
aboard our friend's Tayana 42.

At that point....drum roll please!

I'll start a serious hunt for a Corbin 39 Aft Cabin. I "met" the
Corbin 39 recently and fell in love. The boat sails well, looks great
and has the character I love associated with pilot house sailboats.
For now we'll continue to enjoy our Beneteau, but we're very excited
about doing some local cruising and then trying out some longer trips
on the Corbin. We'll start with the Beneteau....and continue with the
Corbin.

For those of you not familiar with the Corbin 39, it looks like
this....

http://images20.fotki.com/v385/photo...ap54917-vi.jpg

These are not heavy boats as some cruising boats are and she sails
well in light air. She is over-rigged according to some, but we'll be
coastal and that will suit us well most of the time.

Cheers,

RB

Capt. Rob October 7th 08 01:12 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

On Oct 7, 8:00 am, wrote:
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:29:19 -0700 (PDT), "Capt. Rob"

wrote:

[...]

Check your email.

I did and thanks for the pics. I may look into her, but I think we'll
seek out a vessel with a recent refit. The Corbin is not a common
boat, especially in aft cabin guise. Years ago I fell in love with the
Fisher 37 and Gulf 32, but those are seriously undercanvassed
motorsailors. The Corbin, while over my original target of 35-36 feet
LOA, really appears to be the right boat.

Thanks again,

RB

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] October 7th 08 05:42 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

[...]

Good grief! Haven't you learned anything from the shameful demise of the Red
Cloud?

Pilot house sailboats are downright unseaworthy but at least Joe's looked
halfway decent. That Corbin looks terrible with the Darth Vader style pilot
house sticking out way up high like an ugly pimple that needs popping! Get a
clue, dude! Even Old Thom's ugly Gulf 32 pilot house sailboat didn't look
bad compared to that ugly duckling Corbin.

Wilbur Hubbard.

[email protected] October 7th 08 05:53 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

On 7 Oct, 01:29, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
Well, here I am with a 4 year old son and he's simply awesome!
But long sails just don't work for us these days

I've been away! Did I miss something? Has Bob been on
a long sail?

and we mainly daysail
and weekend aboard Heart of Gold.

We've decided to try some real cruising when Thomas turns 6 or 7 and
to that end we've been looking at many boats, used and new. Before
that purchase we're going to spend a month or so sailing in Greece
aboard our friend's Tayana 42.

The food in Greece is awful. A month there will probably
be good for you.

BTW, what part of Greece will you be sailing in. I'm going sailing
there next May..... on a (you guessed it!) 43 footer.

At that point....drum roll please!

I'll start a serious hunt for a Corbin 39 Aft Cabin. I "met" the
Corbin 39 recently and fell in love. The boat sails well, looks great
and has the character I love associated with pilot house sailboats.
For now we'll continue to enjoy our Beneteau, but we're very excited
about doing some local cruising and then trying out some longer trips
on the Corbin. We'll start with the Beneteau....and continue with the
Corbin.

For those of you not familiar with the Corbin 39, it looks like
this....

http://images20.fotki.com/v385/photo...ap54917-vi.jpg

These are not heavy boats as some cruising boats are and she sails
well in light air. She is over-rigged according to some, but we'll be
coastal and that will suit us well most of the time.

I wonder why you think that a Corbin 39 would be more suitable than
Heart of Gold for coastal cruising?? I'm sure that your existing boat
would be much better for a young family. Kids want fun, and
it is very important that you give them a "job" to do. This is
easier on a responsive boat.

Regards

Donal

Capt. Rob October 7th 08 10:48 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

I wonder why you think that a Corbin 39 would be more suitable than
Heart of Gold for coastal cruising??

The reason you wonder that is because you've never spent a rainy week
on a boat, nor do you comprehend how a boat like the Corbin is far
superior underway in air above 15 knots, nor do you understand that
the Corbin is a different boat altogether. The 35s5 or your fun little
toy are great boats. I like them a lot, but they simply don't do
everything well.

RB

OzOne October 7th 08 10:49 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 09:53:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

The food in Greece is awful. A month there will probably
be good for you.

What no roast beef and yorkshire pud?
How can you not like fresh vegetables,fish and olive oil?

Or did you go to a tourist town where they cater .. badly, to tourists
with replicas of food that the tourist would eat at home?
Soggy fish and chips and pizza with 1" thick base?

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Capt. Rob October 7th 08 10:49 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

The food in Greece is awful. A month there will probably
be good for you.

We had great food in Greece on three separate trips. Try spending some
money next time.

RB

Frank Boettcher October 7th 08 11:36 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

wrote:

[...]

Cool! What's that superstructure on the stern? Is that a davit or
where you coil the thousand foot extension cord?

Marty[_2_] October 8th 08 04:33 AM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

Frank Boettcher wrote:

For those of you not familiar with the Corbin 39, it looks like
this....

http://images20.fotki.com/v385/photo...ap54917-vi.jpg

These are not heavy boats as some cruising boats are and she sails
well in light air. She is over-rigged according to some, but we'll be
coastal and that will suit us well most of the time.

Cheers,

RB

Cool! What's that superstructure on the stern? Is that a davit or
where you coil the thousand foot extension cord?

Thousand feet? Bit of overkill for Bob don't you think, one hundred tops!

Cheers
Martin

[email protected] October 8th 08 12:06 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

On 7 Oct, 22:49, OzOne wrote:
On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 09:53:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
The food in Greece is awful. A month there will probably
be good for you.

What no roast beef and yorkshire pud?
How can you not like fresh vegetables,fish and olive oil?

I enjoy eating abroad. The problem with Greece is that it is the same
vegetables and fish every day. The only meat in most places is goat,
and I cannot stand the smell of it.

Or did you go to a tourist town where they cater .. badly, to tourists
with replicas of food that the tourist would eat at home?
Soggy fish and chips and pizza with 1" thick base?

It was a sailing holiday. We ate in small local restaurants
near the harbours.

The food in Turkey is a bit better, and has the advantage
that the people who work in restaurants know how to smile.

Regards

Donal